Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748

Thread: Recipes for avoiding UTI's

Hi people, how much water do you guys drink?
    Save The Whales

Quote Originally Posted by yobder View Post
    Hi people, how much water do you guys drink?
    Here you will get answers that have a broad range. There are those on this forum who will extol that they drink in excess of a gallon of water per day, not including other sources of fluid. That is just crazy. A moderate amount of water/fluids per day is more like 2 liters and that should probably include other sources of fluids, coffee, tea, milk, juices, soups. If you are drinking excessive quantities of fluids, you definitely need to have regular blood sodium and other electrolyte monitoring by blood tests.

Two liters a day is the minimum you should be drinking; more if you sweat or exercise a lot, or live in a very hot climate. Your urine should be pale yellow ("straw colored"); if it is dark yellow, orange or has a brownish tinge, it may be to insufficient water intake.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I know the question sounds a little weird but I don't think I really don't know how to drink water.. Before I was injured it was mostly sodas and juices very little water.. After my injury the doctors and nurses kept pushing me to drink water.. 36 years later I am still not doing it right,, I don't drink anything but water now.. I drink a lot of water in one sitting and then I go about my day, then I come back and drink some more water in one sitting and continue my day.. I still get infections so I don't think the way I was drinking water was the right way.. So now I drink about 2 L I throughout the day slowly.. I have a camel pack on the back my wheelchair that I sip throughout the day.. It seems to be working okay.. Only at nights is when I get dehydrated because 7 to 8 hour of sleep is a long time to go without water.. I try to wake myself to drink water in the middle of the night, but it does not always work.. Just my thoughts on drinking water,, thank you for your input.
    Last edited by yobder; 04-03-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    Save The Whales

I believe 2.5 liters of water is achievable and compulsory for patients.

Patients who do not have enough water input may easily catch infections.
    Caregiver of SCI/D with more than 10 years of experience.

I must drink 3 liters a day to maintain healthy looking urine. If it is hot I need more as the water is coming out in sweat instead of cycling through the bladder. Yobder, I suspect you have not been hydrating adequately and this will take a toll on heart health over many years. I have to get up at night multiple times to drain the bladder so beginning about 3 am I start drinking more, so I can empty come 6am.

You are drinking enough when your urine comes out pale yellow and clear. Many of us don't ever get clear urine, but it 's relative. You know when yours is clearer than usual. Drink however much you must to achieve this. If you don't wake during the night then down a full 16 oz when you get up.

Quote Originally Posted by samcheng0327 View Post
    I believe 2.5 liters of water is achievable and compulsory for patients.

Patients who do not have enough water input may easily catch infections.
    Do you work in a hospital? If not, you are not working with "patients". Your employers may have a SCI/D, but they are not sick. A more complete profile would be most helpful in putting your comments in context.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Here's a routine we found on Reddit. He stated he came up with it with the help of a urologist at MGH in Boston, who also specializes in infectious disease.

Daily pills:

1. Methanamine - Prescription
    2. Vitamin C
    3. D-Mannose with Cranactin
    4. Ellura Cranberry
    5. Pearl Probiotic w/ acidophilus

Take one of each before bed everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by sweettangerine View Post
    Here's a routine we found on Reddit. He stated he came up with it with the help of a urologist at MGH in Boston, who also specializes in infectious disease.

Daily pills:

1. Methanamine - Prescription
    2. Vitamin C
    3. D-Mannose with Cranactin
    4. Ellura Cranberry
    5. Pearl Probiotic w/ acidophilus

Take one of each before bed everyday.
    outdated. No good evidence for most of that.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    outdated. No good evidence for most of that.

(KLD)
    KLD,
    Is it possible to give us a link to research that invalidates previous claims about D-Mannose?