Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647 LastLast

Thread: Recipes for avoiding UTI's

Quote Originally Posted by smapple View Post
    We buy Cream of Tartar at the store- it is in the spices section. One teaspoon of that in a shot glass mixed with water twice a day. We use a half teaspoon to measure, as that is what fits in the bottle. No UTI's for over five years now. And she had them regularly prior to that. If we start to suspect one, we simply up the frequency of the doses, and it goes away. Have recommended it to several others, and it helped them as well.
    I'll give it a try.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Hello all.
    I've just read all ofthis thread. Thanks for all the research you've all done – it isgreat info and I wish I visited this care forum 18 years ago.
    My story / routine is
    Male C5-6
    18 years post injury.
    SP Catherta from thestart.
    Free draining non-stopfor 18 years.
    SP Catherta changedevery 3 weeks.
    Saline irrigationimmediately after the change.
    Drink over 3 litres aday.
    Over-active bladder =bladder spasms have been a constant.
    Bladder bugs a constantbut mostly non-symptomatic.
    Antibiotics requiredapproximately 3 times a year.
    Bladder's currentabsolute capacity is only 84mls!!
    Have just started onVesicare and it has stopped the spasms – but the bladder shrinkage/ bladder wall thickening has already been done.
    Is there any way toexpand the bladder??

Does Botox injectionsexpand bladder or just help prevent further shrinkage?
    How far away arebladder replacements?

I use Betadine Solutionto clean around SP site every morning and night.
    I am happy to add anyor all of the below or anything else recommended that would assist mein the future.

Colodial silver
    Vitamin C
    Cranberry pills orfrozen cranberries or homemade cranberry juice?
    D-Mannose
    Blueberries
    Probiotic pills
    Acidophiles yoghurt
    Oil of Oregano
    Grapefruit seed extract
    Cream of tartar

I'm guessing some ofthe above might cancel another one out?
    And also is there anybetter replacement for betadine and saline.

Many thanks for anycomments and advice.

Cheers
    John
    New Zealand

Instead of saline irrigations, I would suggest bladder instillation and retention of Microcyn products as discussed in:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...light=microcyn

In August, 2016, the Australian Government Department of Health issued a Class IIb medical device registration to Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc., for the company’s Microcyn-based antimicrobial wound solution and wound hydrogel dressing. At about the same time, the New Zealand Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Authority issued a Class IIb registration for both products.

It is doubtful that there is anything that will help expand bladder capacity. There has been discussion on this forum that the anticholinergic medications (oxybutynin etc.) do help to maintain bladder size, but I've not seen any evidence in medical literature to that point.

I find betadine a little harsh for daily cleansing around the stoma. Microcyn liquid wound and skin care is excellent for cleaning around the stoma, as is plain bath soap and water.

All the best,
    GJ

thank you GJ, appreciate it
    my doctor did say if my bladder continues to shrink then there is the possibility of getting botox injections and if that fails - there is a surgical option of expanding the bladder by expanding/adding/patching the bladder wall with tissue from the bowel..... hopefully it doesn't come to that
    cheers
    john

Quote Originally Posted by John not Jack View Post
    there is a surgical option of expanding the bladder by expanding/adding/patching the bladder wall with tissue from the bowel..... hopefully it doesn't come to that
    cheers
    john
    Known as Bladder Augmentation or augmentation cystoplasty. Iileal augmentation, a segment of the intestine is removed and attached to the bladder to make the bladder larger. In gastric augmentation, also known as a gastrocystoplasty, a segment of the stomach is removed and attached to the bladder.

All the best,
    GJ

Is anybody on a prophylactic antibiotic for uti?

Quote Originally Posted by bulletc5 View Post
    Is anybody on a prophylactic antibiotic for uti?
    Taking prophylactic antibiotics for urinary tract infections is not considered the best practice for trying to prevent the infections. In the past, many doctors have prescribed antibiotics prophylactically, but it can lead to antibiotic resistance. I'm sure there are some here who still take antibiotics to prevent infections, but it has been discussed here often enough, that I'm sure the SCI nurses wouldn't endorse the practice.

Are you dealing with frequent and recurring urinary tract infections? How do you manage your baldder? What is your level of injury?

All the best,
    GJ

I am c5 and been injured 15 years, I have only had 2 uti's, a terrible one right after a cystoscopy (12 yrs. post), not sure if a coincidence or a dirty procedure, I was on Macrodantin at that time, got a new urologist and he switched me to Bactrim until June and now I have a uti, not sure of coincidence or not.

so, you were uti free for 3 yrs until he took you off the Bactrim? if it isn't broke don't fix it, that's my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletc5 View Post
    I am c5 and been injured 15 years, I have only had 2 uti's, a terrible one right after a cystoscopy (12 yrs. post), not sure if a coincidence or a dirty procedure, I was on Macrodantin at that time, got a new urologist and he switched me to Bactrim until June and now I have a uti, not sure of coincidence or not.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Post intermittent catheterization tips

Hey guyz, i have shared here http://spinalinjury.info/intermitten...rization-male/ Intermittent catheterization steps, tips and guidelines for male. You must follow it to avoid uti, urethra, sphincter damage.

Let me know if i have left something important.
    Last edited by fahad283; 02-03-2017 at 11:32 AM.