Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Recipes for avoiding UTI's

Quote Originally Posted by anmit View Post
    Hello, I know this is an old post, but is this still not recommended? And if so, why?
    Thank you,
    anna
    I would be curious as to why it's not recommended anymore as well. I have been using the external condoms and reflex voiding with only one uti in 21 years (knock on wood). That one uti occured about 7 months after my injury and it was bad enough that it put me in the hospital for 7 days. So, the first thing I did was to quit taking all the stuff (except for 500mg vit. C/day) that was supposed to help you avoid uti's and I started drinking about 15 8oz to 10oz glasses of water every day. Germs don't have time to set up shop if you keep the water flowing. Water is the magic bullet for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Isomaad View Post
    I would be curious as to why it's not recommended anymore as well. I have been using the external condoms and reflex voiding with only one uti in 21 years (knock on wood). That one uti occured about 7 months after my injury and it was bad enough that it put me in the hospital for 7 days. So, the first thing I did was to quit taking all the stuff (except for 500mg vit. C/day) that was supposed to help you avoid uti's and I started drinking about 15 8oz to 10oz glasses of water every day. Germs don't have time to set up shop if you keep the water flowing. Water is the magic bullet for me!
    Just something to check. When you drink that much water a day, it is important to check on sodium levels in the blood and for electrolyte imbalances. I was drinking about three quarts of water a day, and my endocrinologist found my sodium levels dangerously low.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Just something to check. When you drink that much water a day, it is important to check on sodium levels in the blood and for electrolyte imbalances. I was drinking about three quarts of water a day, and my endocrinologist found my sodium levels dangerously low.

All the best,
    GJ
    Well, I have blood work done every 6 months and so far the only thing my doctor fusses at me for is my triglycerides but I'm not sure if a sodium level test is part of the battery of tests or not. I'll have to ask my doc about that and I appreciate the advice. I guess if my sodium levels are to low, I could just add more salt to my fries. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Isomaad View Post
    Wow! That is quite a record. Do you use intermittent caths to empty your bladder? Do you know if you retain any urine in the bladder?
    Thank you for your time,
    Anna

Quote Originally Posted by anmit View Post
    Wow! That is quite a record. Do you use intermittent caths to empty your bladder? Do you know if you retain any urine in the bladder?
    Thank you for your time,
    Anna
    Well Anna, I've not done any caths since the last UTI that put me in the hospital in 1994. When I'm up in my chair which is usually 15 hours each day my bladder doesn't always empty early in the AM but it empty's pretty well as the day progresses and when I'm lying down in bed my bladder always empty's. I have an Ultrasound done on my kidneys and bladder every 6 months and so far everything looks good. I've also had three Urodynamic tests done (which the third one will be my last one) and they were all fine as well. I hate those tests, and it's like I told my Dr., the only thing this test tells me is that I urinate fine when I'm lying down. It's when I'm sitting up that my bladder doesn't always empty. So, as long as I keep a fresh supply of water flowing through my kidneys and bladder each day, germs don't have a chance to set up shop and water is good for you in so many ways. I'm on my third Urologists since my injury 21 years ago and the first two who have since retired, really didn't agree with my approach to bladder management but couldn't really argue with my results neither. My current urologist just says if it ain't broke don't fix it but he always asks me to have a Urodynamic test done. I just tell him if he'll get one done at the same time as I do I'll do it. He just laughs and says "I guess that's a no." Loll! I also forgot to mention in my previous post that I've been taking 10mg of Terazosin each day since my injury as well. This helps tremendously in relaxing your bladder and I can really tell if I'm too late taking it each day.

Blog Entries
    I have been using condom cath too especially when reporting for work. (At home, I have a ready urinal) Anyway, how often do you change condom cath and leg bags plus how do you keep clean; I have been using soap and water and hang it to dry before using it again. Any suggestions?
    He ai'nt heavy, he is my brother!
    Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

My UTI protocol

As a starting point, I relied on a series of posts by Bob Clark describing his anti-UTI regimen. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to locate those posts any more, but roughly speaking, Clark's idea was to sterilize the catheter in a bleach solution, and also to sterilize some of the urethra with a bleach solution. Clark actually inserted a (diluted) bleach solution 6'' into the urethra. Clark's key insight was that the main goal of a catheterization regimen is to prevent bacteria from entering and growing with the urethra itself. Once the bacteria gets a foothold there, it will be pushed into the bladder eventually.

Clark's method was too complex for me, but I used his insight that it is urethral hygiene that is critical.

Synthesizing other information I've read and heard from medical professionals, as well as my own experiences, here is my current regimen. Once again, I am not recommending it to others, just putting it out there:

I suspect that nearly all UTIs are caused by one of two things: (a) bowel program (BP), and (b) medical procedures. Therefore, I use these rules:

- Clean rubber gloves for anything involving the BP, including cleaning.

- Minimize time in hospitals or having procedures done. If in the hospital, use IC over indwelling and perform IC oneself. IVs put on the forearm or higher - if it is on the hand, it is hard to put gloves on over it. On the other hand, if the IV is in the elbow, it can come loose with bending the elbow.

- For IC procedure, I use sterile gloves. It's actually not so easy to put on sterile gloves without contaminating them from dirty hands, you have to kind of remember what parts of the glove have been touched, but I do my best. I use betadyne swabsticks with more betadyne on them than the gauze swabs pads, and I try and get as much iodine as possible into the urethra. This is basically my version of Bob Clark's idea of getting bleach into the urethra for sterilization. I use three swabsticks for the first two ICs after each BP, and usually one otherwise. I wipe my hands with alcohol wipes prior to the procedure, and the whole area with alcohol wipes after.

It's important, in the case of the rubber catheters, to feel the surface carefully as they sometimes have bumps on them that would be dangerous to insert.

When I make a mistake, like drop a glove, or touch the catheter to a leg, or whatever, I restart with new equipment. I don't even leave lubricant open for a while, or wait too long after using the betadyne. If there is a delay more than a couple of minutes or so, I reapply betadyne as well.

(That is one of the things some medical professionals do wrong, I find: when they make a mistake, they don't like to restart, but they just keep on going with unsterile or damaged equipment. I guess it's more paperwork for them to explain a wasted catheter kit.)

I have no shower chair or bench, and when I shower the water pools in my lap, so I use a condom when taking a shower, as absurd as that sounds.

I always try and read the culture & sensitivity (C&S) reports and, in some cases, have found prescription errors by the doctor. It's useful to know just what's there, and whether infections are caused by the same or different organisms.

When there is cloudiness, I double the amount of water I drink. (I drink a good amount normally as well, mostly water). Often I will drink a liter of water at once if there is cloudiness and I suspect a UTI might be coming. If there is cloudiness and I start to feel bad, or even if there is more cloudiness than usual for a while, I get a C&S (haven't needed a C&S in over 6 months though). Frequently cloudiness is caused by just random factors - some foods, like licorice and sometimes wine, can cause it, but better than safe than sorry.

Handling the first phases of a UTI is very tricky. That's because sometimes I've been about to take antibiotic and the fever just resolved on its own without the need for antibiotics. I think this sometimes happens after a course of treatment when some new bug is just growing but before colonization sets in. On the other hand, if you wait too long you can get a kidney infection and wind up in the hospital or worse. These UTI fevers can act very fast and can also impair judgment. So if I start to get a fever or even feel like one might be coming on, I make sure someone is there to watch me. I have had mild fevers of 100 or so shoot up to 104 very quickly. As soon as a fever gets over 99 I get a C&S; if it hits 100 I make sure someone is checking on me, and if it hits 101 I try to get someone watching me (as well as calling a doctor of course). My goal is to avoid loss of consciousness, loss of balance, or poor judgment that comes with the higher fevers. That is, I don't think 101 is that dangerous by itself, except maybe in transfers, but a 101 can turn to a 104 very fast, and then I would need help but might be too out of it to call for help. Obviously one can take Advil to help manage the fever, but if it's a bad UTI, the Advil can just mask the symptoms for a while. Needless to say, I am in contact with the urologist any time I get a suspected UTI. Just to be clear, for any high fever I do take antibiotics, but for low fevers I sometimes just monitor for a short time to see if the fever resolves on its own - but monitor very carefully, with help from others.

So, that's about it. Knock on wood, it's worked OK for me a few years. Although initially I seemed to get constant UTIs, I don't even think I've had a fever over 98.6 in 8 months, and haven't had a serious UTI in over a year.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 07-25-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Not Bleach!

Hi xsfxsf,

You're getting bleach confused with 3% hydrogen peroxide. The only time I use bleach is at my kitchen sink. Usually before I catheterize I'll wash whatever dishes there may be in my kitchen sink and then wash my hands in a bowl of water that I always keep in the left side sink. I have a dual sink like many or most people do and I always keep a bowl of water that I squirt a bit of Dawn dish detergent into with about 10% bleach. Before wheeling to the bathroom I wash my hands in the water/detergent/bleach solution and then using the wash cloth to push with I wheel into the bathroom switching the wash cloth 50/50 between hands. Or I'll use a paper towel in each hand as I wheel into the bathroom to catheterize.

Using sterile gloves will work too. Probably better as long as you don't contaminate them by touching something you shouldn't.

Some people use a bleach and water solution as an antiseptic. It's called "Dakin's Solution". You can Google on how to make it... you know, what percentage water to bleach. It's kind of old school but will work in a pinch as an antiseptic... I reckon.

Here's a link to one of my manyyyyy posts on my cathing technique. It just happens to be one that's addressed to you.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...50#post1686150

Anyway it's good to hear that you're keeping those nasty UTIs in check. The whole deal is that bacteria grows in the distal (outer) urethra and is then pushed into the bladder with the catheter. Bacteria grows well in warm, dark, moist places. If you can keep the bacteria from starting a colony in your meatus then there won't be any bacteria (or enough to start a UTI) to be pushed into the bladder. It's not rocket science, it's common sense. The only problem is finding an antiseptic that's strong enough to kill bacteria but mild enough not to harm the mucus membrane of the urethra. I've been using hydrogen peroxide for about 12 years I guess it is by now and I'm (my penis!) fine. But to really be on the safe side and if you can afford it, use Microcyn or Veterincyn or whatever it's being called now.

Good luck,

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Any replacement for Uroquid yet?
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Hi Norm,
    I don't know of any replacement for Uroquid. I and many others have used Vetericyn and Vetericyn VF. You may want to check out these threads

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...to-Dr-Young%29

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...cyn-Technology

All the best,
    GJ