Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast

Thread: Recipes for avoiding UTI's

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    I straight cath intermittently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    Perhaps a flush has only one application, a clogged catheter, for reasons I am unaware. I often get sediment in my urine and we know that bacteria can colonize on sediment. I have to wonder why I should discount a flush for that and why should I wait until the late stage of a clogged catheter before I flush.
    These two quotes seem contradictory and confusing to me and are why I thought you may have an indwelling catheter of some type. It is rare that intermittent catheters are clogged by sediment since they are in and out of the bladder in a matter of minutes. Sediment usually only comes out at the end of an intermittent catheterization and can be passed through the intermittent catheter with a slight and gentle pressure just above the pubic bone (crede). If you are having enough sediment to clog up the intermittent catheter while you are cathing, you need to discuss this with your urologist.

Suprapubic and indwelling urethral foley catheters are inside the bladder for 4 to 6 weeks and encrustations can form around the eyelets and that, along with a build up of sediment inside the catheter can completely block the free flow of urine. When the urine stops flowing, the bladder fills up with urine resulting in autonomic dysreflexia symptoms and possibly urine reflux into the kidneys. A syringe filled with about 30cc of one of the various flush fluids recommended by the SCI nurses is used to try to dislodge the sediment from the catheter and the encrustations around the eyes of the catheter. This clog must be flushed to allow urine to flow freely again, or the catheter must be changed.

While Vetericyn may be used to flush the catheter, it is more generally used as an instilled "antiseptic" in the bladder to help prevent colonization and urinary tract infection. Some members who use Vetericyn and intermittent catheterization can instill Vetericyn after a cath is completed, romove the catheter and allow the Vetericyn to remain in the bladder until the next cath.

All the best,
    GJ

This helps me tremendously (and naturally) for catheter clogged with sediment and bla

To my fellow frustrated catheter users -
    My name is Francesca and I've had M.S. for 30 years. I started using a permanent foley in 2001 and switched to a suprapubic 2 yrs later. I did fine for several years, using an 18Fr and changing it once a month, never having any clogging problems or bladder infections. Well, sometime in '07 that all changed. I started having frequent bladder infections and constant problems with clogging from tremendous amounts of sediment. I tried irrigating, drinking more water (I was already drinking 100 oz per day), graduating to a 24Fr and taking more and more antibiotics, eventually taking a daily macrobid to prevent infections, which honestly didn't work. It got to the point where I was getting a bladder infection every 2 or 3 months...even though I was literally living on antibiotics. And I felt like I was losing my mind with having to change my catheter because of clogging sometimes after just 2 days. My doctors, some of the best in their fields, were not helpful. The thought of living on antibiotics for the rest of my life scared the heck out of me. I also felt I was becoming resistant to Cipro and Levaquin, having been on them so many times.
    Fast forward to June 2012. I developed a very severe bladder infection which landed me in the hospital for 11 days. The bacteria causing this infection was MRSA, which is a dangerous "superbug." I didn't know it then but this turned out to be my 'blessing in disguise'. A friend of mine mentioned my MRSA infection to her good friend, Dr. Fred Bisci, a wonderful holistic doctor. I'm giving Dr. Bisci a plug here because if not for him I would still be suffering with bladder infections and clogged catheters. He told my friend to tell me to look into ionic silver (a natural antibiotic), and to specifically check out www.silver100.com. I checked it out and decided I'd like to try it. I spoke with the chemist who developed this product to ask if I could safely take it daily for the rest of my life. He said it is totally harmless, all natural, and 100 times more powerful than any pharmaceutical antibiotic. This obviously sounded too good to be true but I was so tired of the infections and disappointments after trying harmful drugs that didn't really help, that I bought a bottle of ionic silver. Shortly after this I happened to see my urologist. I mentioned the silver and asked him if he ever heard about it. He said, "No, but at the hospital (Columbia-Presbyterian) we use silver coated catheters because silver is known to have antibiotic properties." Well, thanks so much for telling me...I could have been using these for the past 11 years. I never even heard of silver coated catheters before. Anyway, I realized I might be on to something here. So I got on the Internet and Googled 'silver catheters'. There is a lot of research showing that using silver catheters reduces the incidence of bladder infections. So I bought a few silver catheters and started using them and taking ionic silver. Not only have I been free of bladder infections (my urine is always clear now), but my clogging problem is almost totally gone. I still see sediment so I'm not sure if it is less sediment or if the silver coating is preventing the sediment from sticking. Either way, I am feeling so much better, I can't believe it. I do occasionally feel like my flow is slowing down but very rarely. And all I do is irrigate with sterile water, then I'm good. I now sleep comfortably, without worrying if I'll make it through the night...what a relief.
    For anyone who would like to do your own research or try what I've been doing here's the info you'll need:
    Please understand I am not promoting any product or website and there are no clinical trials verifying the safety or efficacy of ionic silver. I'm simply letting you know what I'm doing...
    CATHETERS - I use 24Fr Bard silver coated catheters ($12.95 ea.) which I buy here: http://search.firstoptionmedical.com...ilver_catheter. I am on Medicare, and they provide me with 2 silver catheters per month, which is plenty. I buy some myself because I like to keep extras on hand. Be aware they are pretty expensive but worth every penny.
    IONIC SILVER - Because I trust Dr. Bisci I use the brand he recommended, Invision. You can research it here: silver100.com but don't buy it from that site. Instead you can get it much cheaper ($28.00) here: www.vitacost.com. I use the recommended dose (1 drop per 10 lbs. of body weight) once a day. I'm about 130 lbs. One bottle lasts about 2-1/2 months. I recently had surgery, so for 10 days post surgery I took my regular dose twice a day. If you are going to purchase through Vitacost you may want to join www.ebates.com. You will get 6% cash back when you link to Vitacost through Ebates.
    WATER - I drink about 4 liter (about 140 oz.) per day, almost half within 4 hrs of going to bed.
    Here is my email: ccfin56@gmail.com. I would like to ask anyone who tries this method to let me know if it helps you or not...just a short note. Also feel free to write if you have any comments or questions. I am not sure how soon or frequently I'll be back on this site but my email I check daily. Please put "ionic silver" in the subject.
    I hope this helps everyone. Good luck. .... Francesca.
    Last edited by cesaca; 03-17-2013 at 03:00 AM. Reason: wrong url

this thread is very helpful. I am a para that self caths and reuses cathetars. I drink green tea and take mega mg of cranberry joice pills every day but also going to look into getting a silver cath and taking advantage of a few more hints i got in here. I HATE being on antibiotics...

vetericyn vs puracyn

Hello

I have been self cathing for over 15 years and have had some pretty nasty hared to clear infections in the past and then in the last 2 years I have been having issues on what i believe was a colonized urethra and sudden bad reoccurring infections.

I am allergic to many antibiotics and the bacteria have become resistant to others.

I started using vetericyn (V) in March 2013 just spraying myself before and after I calth and also the catheter. I do have feeling in my genitals and could tell tight away that it was helping. I use it every time I cath and during the first week I had a lot of what I will call debreidment (sp) from my urethra a white slimy discharge especially on the catheter.

This discharge was quite heavy and before using the V I was always having it in my panties and kept thinking it was a yeast type infection but it was not.

Now my panties are clean, my catheters are clean and my urine has been clean yay!

So apart from wanting to contribute and share my success I also have a question.

My Husband insisted I but the human version of V on my last order half my order was the Puracyn but its labeled "with preservatives" the ingredients are exactly the same just in a differednt order and the active ingredient in V is listed as the preservative in P.

Are there preserative in P that are not listed on the label??
    Are V & P the same/equal?

Vetercyn label

Ingredients: Active: Hypochlorous Acid (HOCI)(0.003%)
    Inactive: Electrolyzed water (H20)(99.97%) Sodium Chloride (NaCI)(0.023%) Sodium Hypoclorite (NaOCI)(0.004%)

Puracyn label

Ingredients:Electrolyzed water (H20)(99.97%) Sodium Chloride (NaCI)(0.023%) and preservatives Sodium Hypoclorite (NaOCI)(0.004%) and Hypochlorous Acid (HOCI)(0.003%)

I did call the 800# on the P bottle and am waiting for them to call me back.

Thanks Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Hope1111 View Post
    Hello

I have been self cathing for over 15 years and have had some pretty nasty hared to clear infections in the past and then in the last 2 years I have been having issues on what i believe was a colonized urethra and sudden bad reoccurring infections.

I am allergic to many antibiotics and the bacteria have become resistant to others.

I started using vetericyn (V) in March 2013 just spraying myself before and after I calth and also the catheter. I do have feeling in my genitals and could tell tight away that it was helping. I use it every time I cath and during the first week I had a lot of what I will call debreidment (sp) from my urethra a white slimy discharge especially on the catheter.

This discharge was quite heavy and before using the V I was always having it in my panties and kept thinking it was a yeast type infection but it was not.

Now my panties are clean, my catheters are clean and my urine has been clean yay!

So apart from wanting to contribute and share my success I also have a question.

My Husband insisted I but the human version of V on my last order half my order was the Puracyn but its labeled "with preservatives" the ingredients are exactly the same just in a differednt order and the active ingredient in V is listed as the preservative in P.

Are there preserative in P that are not listed on the label??
    Are V & P the same/equal?

Vetercyn label

Ingredients: Active: Hypochlorous Acid (HOCI)(0.003%)
    Inactive: Electrolyzed water (H20)(99.97%) Sodium Chloride (NaCI)(0.023%) Sodium Hypoclorite (NaOCI)(0.004%)

Puracyn label

Ingredients:Electrolyzed water (H20)(99.97%) Sodium Chloride (NaCI)(0.023%) and preservatives Sodium Hypoclorite (NaOCI)(0.004%) and Hypochlorous Acid (HOCI)(0.003%)

I did call the 800# on the P bottle and am waiting for them to call me back.

Thanks Diane
    It is great that you have had success with these products.

You ask an interesting question about the differences on the Puracyn and Vetericyn labels. Since the ingredients are exactly the same, I would concluded that the products are exactly the same. I don't think there would be other preservatives in Puracyn other than those listed. My guess is that the FDA requires the identification of preservatives when the product is labeled and marketed for human use and there is not a similar requirement for Vetericyn.

Looking forward to hearing about the answer you get (I presume you called Innovacyn).

All the best,
    GJ

Howdy - I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll try here. I had posted something earlier about a new product for catheter maintenance currently in the approval pipeline, but the post got inadvertently deleted because I included links. I'll try to give a summary with no links, and you can Google for the info. Basically there are four products being developed by a pharmaceutical company called NovaBay, based in California, that all use hypochlorous acid as an ingredient. That's what's in Vetericyn, as you may be aware. Some people are currently using Vetericyn VF and other Oculus products, off-label, for catheter care.

Anyway, one of the NovaBay products is designed for maintenance of indwelling catheters. Besides hypochlorous acid, it includes taurine. The human body produces and uses N-Chlorotaurine to kill bacteria and viruses, as well as hypochlorous acid. N-Chlorotaurine is a combination of both substances that also helps mop up the oxidants. NovaBay was able to make a stable version which they're calling "auriclosene". They just announced the results of their second clinical trials. If you Google "novabay phase ii clinical trials", you should find the information, and if you Google just "NovaBay", you should find out more about the company.

Hoping some helpful treatments evolve for you folks...

Nancy

has anyone ever tried UTI-STAT http://www.pro-stat.com/uti-stat.asp ?
    here is what's in it from the website description

helps protect against recurrent Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
    UTI-Stat® is a natural urinary tract cleansing complex containing a proprietary blend of concentrated Cranberry Proanthocyanidins, Ascorbic Acid, D-Mannose, FOS and Bromelain - to inhibit adhesion of infection causing E-coli bacteria to urinary tract walls, increase urinary acidity to create a less tolerable environment for E. Coli, and stimulate the growth of probiotic bacteria in the small and large intestines. UTI-Stat® has been shown effective in reducing symptomatic UTIs, including urgency and frequency of urination, when used in conjunction with hydration and a hygiene program. UTI-Stat helps to support urinary tract health and prevent recurrence of infection.
    Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
    • Annually affect over 7 million men and women per year at a cost of over one billion dollars.1
    • Up to 40% of nursing home residents contract urinary tract infections leading to significant morbidity.2
    • Severe UTI can cause hospitalization, sepsis, and even mortality.
    • E. Coli bacteria cause 90% of UTI.
    • Prevention methods rely primarily on hydration and hygiene.
    • Primary treatment is antibiotic therapy, contributing to excessive antimicrobial usage.
    • The National Center for Complementary Medicine reported that cranberry proanthocyanidins (PAC) help reduce the adhesion of certain E. Coli bacteria to the urinary tract walls.3
    • 14 separate studies have shown that cranberry PAC can prevent the adhesion of E. Coli to urinary tract walls.4

Are most of your urinary tract infections caused by e. coli? If so, this may be helpful. d-Mannose is only effective in helping to prevent e. coli caused infections. It may be cheaper to buy straight d-Mannose.

If you experience most of your urinary tract infections from other bacteria, I wouldn't think this would be much help. The ad copy states that 90% of urinary tract infections are caused by e. coli. In my experience, e.coli may cause about 40% of my infections. I think people with SCI who manage their bladders in several different ways have a tendency to vary from what might be expected in the able bodied population.

All the best,
    GJ

There is a lot of my UTIs that are Pseudomonas, I don't know if that's E. coli but that's what I got going on right now. I have an appointment with my rehab doctor tomorrow just the sheer amount of pain is too much, then to top it off I'm in Texas And we're having a cold front come through so it's going to be about 25°! But I can't miss that because I know she is the best at Baylor rehab and if anyone can do it she can

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Long term use of external condom catheters and either reflex voiding or straining is also rarely recommended anymore.

(KLD)
    Hello, I know this is an old post, but is this still not recommended? And if so, why?
    Thank you,
    anna