Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Recipes for avoiding UTI's

Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post
    What does everyone on here do or not do to try to maintain good bladder health? Do you take any pills such as cranmax pills? Or any other kind of pill or supplement? Is there certain foods that you try to eat on a regular basis? Or are there certain foods and drinks you try to avoid consuming? I'm looking for some new things to add to my own personal regiment to try to maintain bladder health so I was curious if there was anything out there that I wasn't already aware of.
    gjnl gave you some good tips:
    I have taken cranberry pills, vitamin C, avoided caffeine and carbonated beverages, and I still do these things.
    I do the same but I would add alcohol to the avoided beverages. My routine includes adding colloidal silver to my water. I also use a Chinese formula called Ba Zheng San when the urine is getting cloudy and stinky. Last week none of the above worked so I added an old weapon: oregano oil.

Be careful with colloidal silver. It can create super germs.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    Be careful with colloidal silver. It can create super germs.
    That's a new one. Usually argyria is the bugaboo. Big Pharma doesn't like competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    no sound scientific studies to evaluate these health claims have been published in reputable medical journals
    Besides argyria only the overdose scenario is quoted. If I take all my oxycocet there will be repercussions as well. My sound anecdotal evidence is that I went from 12-15 UTIs per year down to nearly 0.

D-mannose to prevent E. coli infection

Based on this article, there's no definitive medical studies to prove that D-mannose prevents E. coli infection. However, it makes sense to me that it helps prevent the E. Coli bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall. It mentioned the dosage is 500mg 3x/day.

http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=225997

I'm a male C5 quad who is using a Foley cath via urethra. I've been doing the following to avoid UTI, but I'm still getting E. Coli infection every 6 months:
    - Trunature CRANBERRY 220 (300 mg) 3x/day
    - irrigate the cath w/ 50-50 solution of Vetericyn VF & saline 1x/wk
    - replace cath every 2 wk
    - spray the tip of penis with Vetericyn VF & wipe down the area 1x/day

I'm considering using D-mannose.

Is anyone taking D-mannose daily? Does it reduce E. Coli infection frequency? What dosage did you use?

Has anyone try to treat E. coli UTI with D-mmanose instead of antibiotic? Has it worked? What dosage did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by C5Ski09 View Post
    Based on this article, there's no definitive medical studies to prove that D-mannose prevents E. coli infection. However, it makes sense to me that it helps prevent the E. Coli bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall. It mentioned the dosage is 500mg 3x/day.

http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=225997

I'm a male C5 quad who is using a Foley cath via urethra. I've been doing the following to avoid UTI, but I'm still getting E. Coli infection every 6 months:
    - Trunature CRANBERRY 220 (300 mg) 3x/day
    - irrigate the cath w/ 50-50 solution of Vetericyn VF & saline 1x/wk
    - replace cath every 2 wk
    - spray the tip of penis with Vetericyn VF (VVF) & wipe down the area 1x/day

I'm considering using D-mannose.

Is anyone taking D-mannose daily? Does it reduce E. Coli infection frequency? What dosage did you use?

Has anyone try to treat E. coli UTI with D-mmanose instead of antibiotic? Has it worked? What dosage did you use?
    I would suggest that you are not getting any therapeutic value from once a week instillation of half VVF, half saline (you may be flushing out sediment, but there are less expensive ways to flush a catheter if you need to do that). Some of our members get away with 3 instillations a week with full strength VVF to prevent colonization or urinary tract infection, but any less than that is probably just a waste of VVF and your money. If you have intestinal distress from VVF try instilling 20cc VVF and 10cc of saline, retaining VVF for 10 minutes, every day. I think you will have better luck remaining UTI free with this regimen and may not need to go to the extra expense of d-mannose which according to literature I have read, probably has about a 50/50 chance of working for you.

All the best,
    GJ

UTI's seem to be a thing of the past. MY SOLUTION

I've had chronic uti's since i've been injured about 7 years ago. My solution was methanamine mandalate. Doctor prescribed. I researched it found people using it on here. REferred my urologist it and he prescribed it. It instantly started helping. Been uti free for about a half a year. I've never went beyond 2 1/2 months without a infection. Studies state rats at high dosages of said drug get bladder cancer at the end of their life. But having infections nonstop is about as bad and can lead to cancer too. The drug is rather benign to the rest of your body. One thing to note. I believe my success is due to the fact that i retain 150-220ml of urine throughout the day as i can't void all contents. Unless I catheterize. The fact i have residual urine in my bladder throughout the day is a host for bacteria growth. This drug makes the environment unfriendly for bacteria growth. If you catheterize 5 times a day I doubt this drug will help much. I've tried about everything out there and this is the only thing that has worked. Cliff notes: Try Methanamine Mandalate

Quickly Relieve and Eliminate Painful Urinary Tract Infections

http://www.naturalnews.com/029865_ur...ions_cure.html

Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are aggravating and often painful bacterial infections of any part of the urinary tract which affect mostly women, especially younger sexually active women. Usually UTIs are caused by the E. Coli bacteria. Fortunately, there are many natural remedies which can help quickly relieve and eliminate UTIs.

Although urine contains a variety of waste products, it does not usually have bacteria in it and when bacteria get into the bladder or kidneys and multiply in the urine, they may cause infections. Many risk factors have been associated with urinary tract infections; such infections are most common in young sexually active women, where it is estimated that anywhere from 75-90% of bladder infections are due to sexual activity.

The most common symptoms of a bladder infection are burning with urination (dysuria), frequency of urination, an urge to urinate, vaginal discharge or significant pain. Other signs of urinary tract infections can include foul smelling urine, urine that appears cloudy and blood in the urine.

Here are some proven remedies for helping eliminate urinary tract infections and their symptoms:

*At the first sign of a bladder infection, drink large amounts of purified water to flush bacteria out of the bladder.

*A teaspoon of baking soda in a full glass of water at the outset can help ease the burning sensation. However, baking soda can cancel out other remedies, especially cranberry juice, and should be used sparingly at any rate.

*Drink cranberry or blueberry juice when you feel a UTi coming on. Both contain compounds that prevent troublesome bacteria from adhering to the walls of your urinary tract. Drink two eight-ounce glasses of 100 percent unsweetened cranberry or blueberry juice daily until the infection disappears. Alternatively, one can also take cranberry extract capsules.

*Drink 2-4 ounces of colloidal silver three times a day to quickly knock out most UTIs. Be sure to follow up with a good probiotic to maintain a good mix of beneficial intestinal flora.

*Make a tea from parsley leaves as follows: Boil water and pour it in a cup. Use a small pinch of parsley and place it in the cup. Let steep for a few minutes and you can either filter the parsley out or drink it as is. Normally this remedy will ease pain within about 20 minutes. Note: Do not use parsley if you are pregnant, this can/will induce labor.

*Drink pau d'arco tea three times a day in conjunction with other remedies for best results. Pau d'arco works for a number of illnesses and has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties.

*To fight acute cases take half a teaspoon of a tincture made from echinacea and Oregon grape root or goldenseal every hour.

*Squeeze about half a cup of lemon juice and drink in the morning when you wake up and repeat daily until the bladder infection is gone.

*Take about 5 or 6 asparagus stalks and boil them in a small pot until very tender. Eat them and drink the juice from the pot. Repeat two or three times daily to help clear the infection quickly.

*Other items which may help are: apple cider vinegar, raw honey, crandophilus capsules, the homeopathic remedy "cantharsis", cashews, almonds, and rhubarb.

*If you are a sexually active female you can help prevent UTIs by washing the vaginal area before and after sex with goldenseal tea.

Note: If your symptoms persist after two to three days, or if your symptoms worsen, it is probably a good idea to see a qualified medical professional, preferably one who is trained as a naturopathic doctor.

Sources included:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinary...on#cite_note-0
    http://signsofabladderinfection.com/
    http://www.tbyil.com/Urinary_Tract_Infections.htm

This has also worked for me. But make sure to take probiotics with it.

How a Simple Sugar can Stop a Urinary Tract Infection Dead in its Tracks

http://www.naturalnews.com/026759_in...act_sugar.html