Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 481

Thread: Recipes for avoiding UTI's

  1. #321
    Quote Originally Posted by new.name View Post
    My urologist asks me to store the catheter in a box containing few formalin tablets, before reusing the catheter. Will this reduce the number of UTIs? Is it safe to use it like that, since I read that formaldehyde is carcinogenic.
    Hi "new.name,"
    I have never heard or read about this method of storing catheters. My first question of course is why are you having to store catheters at all. Most people do not reuse catheters. Current treatment and insurance reimbursement protocol allow for the use of a new catheter each time you cath. However, if you are reusing catheters, washing the catheters with mild soap and water, rinsing, and placing them to dry and store (dry completely before reuse) between layers of clean paper toweling is a good practice. Some people like to use an intermediate rinse after washing with soap, of either peroxide or alcohol, then rinse again with water and allow to dry between clean paper toweling.
    I have read about a dilute solution of formalin being instilled in the bladder for the treatment of cystitis, but I don't know how effective or how much that practice is used either.
    Talk to your insurance company and find out what their reimbursement and coverage practices are regarding intermittent catheters and then talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for the number of catheters you need per day to avoid reusing them.

    All the best,
    GJ

  2. #322
    I never thought that formaldehyde would be safe for any medical items used for our bodies ...
    This is something i'll ask my urologist tomorrow .
    Kind of sounds freaky but who know's ?

  3. #323
    Thank you gjnl, GL.
    Most of the time, I don't reuse catheters. I am from India. My insurance doesn't cover the charges for catheters.

  4. #324
    Senior Member Van Quad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,558
    Back in the olden days, our urologists had us taking Mandelamine and vitamin C. They combined to form formaldehyde in the bladder to reduce bacteria.

    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Hi "new.name,"
    I have never heard or read about this method of storing catheters. My first question of course is why are you having to store catheters at all. Most people do not reuse catheters. Current treatment and insurance reimbursement protocol allow for the use of a new catheter each time you cath. However, if you are reusing catheters, washing the catheters with mild soap and water, rinsing, and placing them to dry and store (dry completely before reuse) between layers of clean paper toweling is a good practice. Some people like to use an intermediate rinse after washing with soap, of either peroxide or alcohol, then rinse again with water and allow to dry between clean paper toweling.
    I have read about a dilute solution of formalin being instilled in the bladder for the treatment of cystitis, but I don't know how effective or how much that practice is used either.
    Talk to your insurance company and find out what their reimbursement and coverage practices are regarding intermittent catheters and then talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for the number of catheters you need per day to avoid reusing them.

    All the best,
    GJ

  5. #325
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Back in the olden days, our urologists had us taking Mandelamine and vitamin C. They combined to form formaldehyde in the bladder to reduce bacteria.
    But, is this a recommended practice now?

    All the best,
    GJ

  6. #326
    Senior Member iskumbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    285
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hi guys, i have not found a perfect recipe to for klebsiella (amp c+) I am now in injectables via Intramascular injection. Aside from avoiding soda and sugar, and drinking a lots of water, I really do not know how to be kleb free ( it is 100,000 ml). What happens if it remain untreated. I am taking gentamycin for injectables for 1 week 80ml 3 x a day. thanks. any others with kleb too?
    He ai'nt heavy, he is my brother!
    Rufus Wainright

    ronaldlora.blogspot.com

  7. #327
    Quote Originally Posted by iskumbro View Post
    Hi guys, i have not found a perfect recipe to for klebsiella (amp c+) I am now in injectables via Intramascular injection. Aside from avoiding soda and sugar, and drinking a lots of water, I really do not know how to be kleb free ( it is 100,000 ml). What happens if it remain untreated. I am taking gentamycin for injectables for 1 week 80ml 3 x a day. thanks. any others with kleb too?
    Have you had tests for urinary stones? Klebsiella is often associated with stones in people with SCI.

    (KLD)

  8. #328
    Hi I'm new to this forum. (I've been looking for one to share my depressing UTI experiences and finally found one!! )
    I currently have one now all because of the doctor who did cystoscopy on me. (Deep inside I want to sue him for not keeping devices sterile)
    It's been there for 2 weeks and counting... Tried Keflex first, stopped b/c was allergic. Next, took Cipro, but also stopped b/c of allergy. Ever since my first UTI, I knew I was allergic to Cipro, Macrobid, Bactrim, Augmentin. This is why I DREAD of getting another UTI since I'm allergic to almost all antibiotics. Luckily somehow, my first UTI went away in 1 month (still a long duration though).
    I'm having flank pain, frequent urges to go but pee in small amount, and pain in upper back near the spine but dunno if that's also related to UTI. Pain scale 4 out of 10. I wake up several times during night due to feeling generally ill, some sweating, and flank/back pain. No fever yet .
    Currently, not on any antibiotic, haven't seen any doctor since I stopped Cipro. I fear the pain will worsen, but mom says try to kick it naturally on my own and she tells me never go to hospital again. So, I am drinking 8-10cups water, eating an apple, avoid sugar as much as possible, and just trying to keep urinary tracts acidic.
    Just today I had a small pint of blueberries 1-2 hrs after dinner and the pain lessened a bit. Did anyone try this before and saw some improvement?
    Did anyone succeed getting away with flank pain and whole UTI without antibiotics?
    Any suggestions or comments will help. Thanks~!!

  9. #329
    1. Cranberry supplement twice a day
    2. "Clean" catheterizing...in spades. What do I mean? ALWAYS wash with soap. Subsequently before opening a catheter, use another topical product, for instance Purell with aloe (or substitute.)
    3. If you are out, carry anti-bacterial hand wipes. Was your hands whenever possible before hand. Use hand-wipes as a subsequent step before using a catheter.

    This two step process together with cranberry and garlic supplements keeps me largely UTI free.

  10. #330
    Senior Member Van Quad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,558
    Colloidal silver and a compound called Ba Zheng San from your Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner.

Similar Threads

  1. Ongoing UTIs - Spinewire nurse?
    By Brinda41 in forum Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-24-2009, 11:21 PM
  2. vasectomy due to chronic uti's ?
    By kiwidebs in forum Care
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2007, 06:25 PM
  3. is there a vaccine for UTIs?
    By manouli in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2006, 11:33 AM
  4. UTIs
    By giambjj in forum Care
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 12:13 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2003, 09:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •