Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipes for avoiding UTI's

Thumbs up UTI's no more!!!

Anyone dealing with constant UTI's needs to go ahead and take my advise. For way too long I kept trying all of the over-the-counter remedies with little to no success. I tried cranberry juice & pills, xylitol, and D-mannose pills & powder. All this time I kept reading about Uroquid Acid and resisted going through the trouble of getting a prescription. I was still too bull-headed and tried cranberry juice & pills, xylitol, and D-mannose pills & powder for a second go-round. Hell I almost resorted to prayer. It was like clock work, every 3 weeks I would have to pop a few cipro's to clear things up. This is all over a few year period I might add. Well I finally gave in and got the Uroquid Acid #2 500 mg prescription. It is two pills a day, morning and evening and costs $25.00/month. Medicaid will not cover it for me so far. It is going on 4 months now and not a hint of any trouble. I take it combined with 15 mg Enablex (the only 2 meds I take) and my bladder issues are behind me. I now have to worry about over filling my bladder because the urge to pee is a slow slight feeling and NOT the dreaded strong sudden urges that is usually a prequel to bladder problems. Don't wait like I did, just get the Uroquid Acid and move on to other SCI worries.

taking note

Taking note battling with over the counter and antibiotics for over eight months. We will ask about uroqui acid at our next UTI confirmation...keeping our fingers crossed.......
    Thanks for sharing!

But that sounds like something making the urine acid. I can't take anything that makes it acid, my bladder will burn and empty itself for urine at once. And I have full controll over the bladder when I don't have an UTI, I don't even cath.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Thumbs up

honestly i take oxybutinin one in the morning and at nite... hand sanatizer when i cath, UTI FREE no worries.. CLEANLINESS is the answer to that SANATATION!
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

Yea Oxybutinin is like Enablex, it reduces bladder spasms. For years that is all I needed then the bacteria started win. Uroquid Acid #2 does not let the bacteria stick to the bladder wall. I learned about on this website and have zero side effects. I can't even tell I take any medicine.

NOTE:

Vizoquid Acid is the generic form of Uroquid Acid - much cheaper. Not available at CVS though.

Quote Originally Posted by BRASWELLF5 View Post
    Anyone dealing with constant UTI's needs to go ahead and take my advise. For way too long I kept trying all of the over-the-counter remedies with little to no success. I tried cranberry juice & pills, xylitol, and D-mannose pills & powder. All this time I kept reading about Uroquid Acid and resisted going through the trouble of getting a prescription. I was still too bull-headed and tried cranberry juice & pills, xylitol, and D-mannose pills & powder for a second go-round. Hell I almost resorted to prayer. It was like clock work, every 3 weeks I would have to pop a few cipro's to clear things up. This is all over a few year period I might add. Well I finally gave in and got the Uroquid Acid #2 500 mg prescription. It is two pills a day, morning and evening and costs $25.00/month. Medicaid will not cover it for me so far. It is going on 4 months now and not a hint of any trouble. I take it combined with 15 mg Enablex (the only 2 meds I take) and my bladder issues are behind me. I now have to worry about over filling my bladder because the urge to pee is a slow slight feeling and NOT the dreaded strong sudden urges that is usually a prequel to bladder problems. Don't wait like I did, just get the Uroquid Acid and move on to other SCI worries.
    And the truth shall set you free.

When I used to cath (have a sprepubic cath now) I used to have A ONE beer a day. A Uncle of mine told me once it flushes the kidneys and bladder real well. I figure this may be a wives tale. But in 10 years I find it to be true for me at least. But allways kept me from haveing UTI's. Like I said Wive's tale maybe. And you gotta admit it's better than taking a pill. If only beer helped me on the skin ulcers.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeegirlct View Post
    If you are using Cream of Tartar for a UTI, the usual dosage is 1/4 teaspoon. It can be taken by many different ways.

1. placed directly on tongue followed by a min. of 8 oz of water
    2. mixed into small (about 4oz) of water, followed by 8 oz of water
    3. taken in capsul (size 0 capsul holds 1000 mg or 1/4 tsp) with 8 oz of water

If you take it at first sign of infection, one dose usually works, however if one dose doesn't work you should not take more then 4 doses (1 full tsp) in a day.

It is a form of sodium and should not be over used.

After initial infection is gone it can be taken once or twice a day to help prevent re-infection.

I am not a doctor, but I am an herbalist. I have used this my whole life because I am extremely prone to UTI's due to a birth defect.
    I wanted to crosspost this from other thread.
    And the truth shall set you free.

ok need to settle an argument plse

hy there ppl....i'm having a LITTLE trouble with the community nurses in my area where i live regarding my permanant catheter..they are trying to tell me that i an leave my cath in up to 4 MNTHS and im trying to tell them the max is 3 with at least an irragation every 3weeks..... any advice?

Is this a urethral cath or a suprapubic? What does your urologist say about cath changes?

IMO, even three months is way too long to leave in either type of cath, even with irrigation. My understanding of SPs is that they should be replaced at least every six weeks, and that urethrals should be changed every three-four weeks.

I can't go more than three weeks without changing my urethral cath. If I do, I develop problems like irritation, increased sediment, and such.

But I'm just a layperson. Hopefully KLD or one of the other SCI Nurses will drop in and offer you advice not only on the best time table for you and how to deal with the local nurses.

Best wishes for getting this resolved.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar