Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipes for avoiding UTI's

Check the vendor's reputation. Looks pretty solid to me.

http://www.jonbarron.org/blog_published/2006/10/urinary_tract_infections.html

Urinary Tract Infections, Kidney Health: Health Blog

Posted By: Jon Barron | October 24, 2006 9:38 PM |

Urinary tract infections are often difficult to get rid of and can easily spread to the kidneys. You need to knock the infection out, acidify the urine, and use D-Mannose to carry any E coli out of the urinary tract. Here is a protocol that has proven effective for many people.

• D-Mannose: 1 teaspoon 4 times a day for 3 days.
    • Cranberry: (to acidfy the urine) Take 2 capsules, twice a day for one week.
    • Juniper Berry: (to flush the kidneys) Take two capsules three times daily at mealtimes for one week. Increase fluid intake throughout the day.
    • The herb forskolin to help flush bacteria out of the bladder.
    • Also recommended are an antipathogenic formula that contain things like garlic, oil of oregano, olive leaf extract, and grapefruit seed extract to directly take on the infection...and a good probiotic formula to provide long term protection. (Probiotics need to be replenished whenever you have had a round of antibiotics, which leaves you vulnerable to a whole range of opportunistic infections.)
    More Information on D-Mannose:
    D-Mannose is a naturally occurring simple sugar, closely related (in chemical terms, a "stereoisomer") to glucose. Small amounts of D-Mannose are metabolized by our bodies; more than small amounts are excreted promptly into the urine. But how can even large quantities of a simple natural sugar do anything at all to help maintain a healthy urinary tract?
    The answer is found in the interaction between D-Mannose and the bacterium found in over 90% of all bladder infections, Escherichia coli ("E. coli"). No, not the infamous E.coli mutants associated with unsanitary food processing that has hospitalized and killed people. It's the normal E.coli found as part of the "normal microflora" in every intestinal tract. But even normal E.coli do not belong in the bladder and urinary tract. In these areas they multiply and become an undesirable infection.
    Why doesn't the normal downflow of urine from the kidneys through the ureters into the bladder and thence beyond simply carry the E.coli right along with it? What allows the E.coli to "stick" to the inner walls of the bladder and even work their way upward (like Spiderman) in some cases reaching as far as the kidney's?
    The "cell walls" of each E.coli are covered with tiny fingerlike projections. The very tips of these projections are an amino acid-sugar complex, a "glycoprotein" also called a "lectin." E.coli "lectins" have the unfortunate (for us) capability of "sticking" the bacteria to the inside walls of our bladders and urinary tracts, so they can't be rinsed out by urination.
    Unfortunately, for the E.coli, D-Mannose "sticks" to E.coli lectins even better than E.coli lectin "sticks" to human cells. When we take a large quantity of D-Mannose, almost all of it spills into the urine through our kidneys, literally "coating" any E.coli present so they can no longer "stick" to the inside walls of the bladder and urinary tract. The E.coli are literally rinsed away with normal urination!
    An antibiotic kills unwanted micro-organisms, but it also kills many "friendly" micro-organisms. Every woman is familiar with "yeast infections" that follow antibiotic use, as the "friendly bacteria" are killed off along with the "bad bacteria", leaving the antibiotic insensitive yeast to grow out of control. Long term or often repeated antibiotic use can lead to major disruptions in normal body microflora, and sometimes to major disruptions in health, especially immune system function. (It is suspected that "killer" E.coli of recent years are "mutants" caused by persistent antibiotic feeding to animals).
    By contrast, D-Mannose does not kill bacteria, "friendly" or "unfriendly". D-Mannose simply helps to relocate misplaced E.coli from inside of the urinary tracts to outside. (Since D-Mannose is absorbed in the upper gastrointestinal treact, it doesn't relocate the "friendly" E.coli normally present in the colon). Use of D-Mannose is ecologically sound. The small amount of D-Mannose metabolized by the body and not excreted into the urine is harmless. As an extra bonus, D-Mannose tastes good!

thank you for the nice info, mona!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Quote Originally Posted by Lola_wheelie View Post
    thank you for the nice info, mona!

You're welcome sweetie.
    I wanted to write more but my pc was acting crazy.
    I had to shut it off & restart it.

This article was on a web site I read all the time.
    They have good stuff on it.
    I'm gonna try it first next time I get a uti before antibiotics.
    So I'll post my results then.
    Which I hope isn't any time soon.

mona, i think you also have a suprapubic cath.... did you see my thread "suprapubic stuck... HELP pls"? has your sp ever gotten stuck?

thank you
    lola
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

mona, i think you also have a suprapubic cath.... did you see my thread "suprapubic stuck... HELP pls"? has your sp ever gotten stuck?

thank you
    lola

Was it in the last 2 wks Lola? I wrote on there for you I believe.
    It has they cut the catheter to get it out. How are you now?

hi, mona

here it is the link to the thread http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=116716
    i just updated it!

c4-5 quad

hi, mona

here it is the link to the thread http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=116716
    i just updated it!

Lola did you post this twice in different places because I know I posted on one of your threads saying the same thing? The exact same thing.

nope, mona! just once .... i wonder what happened (thinking of twilight zone's tune)

c4-5 quad