Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipes for avoiding UTI's

Quote Originally Posted by dee buchanan View Post
    has anyone here heard of or had stenotrophomonas maltpphilia--i have had a recurring uti for months and of course taken way too many antib. my doc.s are not at all informed about folks with sci's--but how to get rid of this--please advise--thanks
    Hi Dee,

Here's what Wikipedia writes about it. It appears to be a rather nasty bug.

An excerpt:

In UK in 2006 there were about 1000 recorded cases with 300 fatalities (30%).[citation needed]

S. maltophilia is naturally resistant to many broad-spectrum antibiotics (including all carbapenems) and is thus often difficult to eradicate. Many strains of S. maltophilia are sensitive to co-trimoxazole and ticarcillin, though resistance has been increasing. It is not usually sensitive to piperacillin, and sensitivity to ceftazidime is variable.
    If you'd really like to read up on it:

http://cmr.asm.org/cgi/content/full/11/1/57

I hope you're able to find a SCI-aware urologist.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Hiprex (also known as Methenamine Hippurate) + 1000 mg Vitamin C twice a day. This is will stop UTI's for anyone who caths naturally.
    Birds Fly in Flocks, but Eagles Fly Alone...

While Methenamine drugs (Hiprex, Urex, Mandelamine, Uroqid) are popular drugs to prevent UTIs, scientific studies show that they don't have a higher rate of UTI reduction compared to placebos.

(KLD)

for those of u who where a night bag change it weekly. i know when i got out of rehab 20 years ago they said just clean them out w/ bleach and replace 1x mth, huh, bullshit. i gotg uti's all the time. i started tossing them every 2 weeks now every week sometimes 2x week i grab a new one. i hardly ever get a uti. just a thought
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Cool where are are all the ladies

I am having chronic uti's,theres lots of info from the guys,but what about the girls,we;re built diffrent I NEED SOME ADVICE FROM YOU.PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by christytucksen View Post
    I am having chronic uti's,theres lots of info from the guys,but what about the girls,we;re built diffrent I NEED SOME ADVICE FROM YOU.PLEASE
    The vizoquid acid (prescription) and cranberry max (triple strength cranberry supplement) are good no matter which plumbing you have!!!
    And the truth shall set you free.

Talking

Hello all, I am new. Thought this would be a good place to start! What a lot of information that, despite having an injury for many years, is all new to me!

I would like to purchase some potent vitamin C and cranberry supplements. I'm not sure the best place to obtain them? Are the local health shop products efficient enough? I definitely do want capsules, nothing water soluble. I did have some good vitamin C's but containers of thirty for £7 is not very economical when some days I want to take three! Although, if tried and tested I don't mind paying this and maybe more.

Any recommendations? I reside in the UK by the way. Thanks and I look forward to learning from this forum.

Any triple concentrate cranberry cranberry should do the trick. Try Ebay and look for highest mg of Cranberry.

Quote Originally Posted by inscrutable View Post
    Hello all, I am new. Thought this would be a good place to start! What a lot of information that, despite having an injury for many years, is all new to me!

I would like to purchase some potent vitamin C and cranberry supplements. I'm not sure the best place to obtain them? Are the local health shop products efficient enough? I definitely do want capsules, nothing water soluble. I did have some good vitamin C's but containers of thirty for £7 is not very economical when some days I want to take three! Although, if tried and tested I don't mind paying this and maybe more.

Any recommendations? I reside in the UK by the way. Thanks and I look forward to learning from this forum.

John (Fuentejps) are you sure changing the bags led to fewer UTIs, or was there another cause/effect relationship?

Quote Originally Posted by christytucksen View Post
    Christy,

Vizoquid acid (prescription) and cranberry are good regardless of plumbing!

Cheers!