Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipes for avoiding UTI's

This forum was started (see #1): "so that everyone could post their own successful strategies for avoiding UTI's". That's EXACTLY what I did. That which I wrote weren't my original ideas. FYI, I provided details of published sources with the same suggestions.

I don't agree with the idea of posting biographical information. This is supported by the stated Registration Policy: "...other fields to which you will be invited to respond. Some will be mandatory while others are optional."

It is insulting for SCI-nurse to consider my informative, referenced note to be a "troll post". I'm amazed that within 31 min of my post, SCI-nurse managed to:
    - read the posting
    - locate the full text of the six published sources
    - read those numerous pages to identify references
    - locate the full text of related references
    - read those numerous pages to reliably make such dismissive statements
    Last edited by goat; 11-08-2008 at 02:01 PM.
    "Let your food be your medicine" - Hippocrates

No sweat goat. All tips are appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    This forum was started (see #1): "so that everyone could post their own successful strategies for avoiding UTI's". That's EXACTLY what I did. That which I wrote weren't my original ideas. FYI, I provided details of published sources with the same suggestions.

I don't agree with the idea of posting biographical information. This is supported by the stated Registration Policy: "...other fields to which you will be invited to respond. Some will be mandatory while others are optional."

It is insulting for SCI-nurse to consider my informative, referenced note to be a "troll post". I'm amazed that within 31 min of my post, SCI-nurse managed to:
    - read the posting
    - locate the full text of the six published sources
    - read those numerous pages to identify references
    - locate the full text of related references
    - read those numerous pages to reliably make such dismissive statements
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Have you tried getting a new catheter for each cath? Medicare covers this now. If not, then the recommended method for cleaning catheters is not boiling.
    1. Wash with warm soapy water, rinse well with tap water, shake dry.
    2. Lay on a clean dry bath towel and fold over. Continue with catheters and folding in the same towel throughout the day.
    3. At the end of the day, set this set of catheters aside and allow to continue to dry another 24 hours.
    4. Once completely dry, place in clean dry paper lunch bag until you need to reuse.
    5. Never soak in disinfectant or store in an air-tight container.

When you say you have had 15 UTIs, do you mean 15 infections (fevers, chills, flank pain, AD, severe malaise, etc.) or 15 positive cultures? The latter, without symptoms, are not UTIs in people with SCI. Only the former should be considered a UTI and treated.

Print this out and share and discuss it with your urologist:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv...1.chapter.8279

Having a stone will cause you to be constantly colonized and increase your risks for true UTIs. The stone needs to be removed ASAP.

Catheterization technique is rarely the culprit in repeated UTIs in SCI. Much more common are the following problems that increase your risks for UTIs:
    • Cathing too infrequently (less often than every 4-6 hours)
    • Allowing too much urine in your bladder at any one time (over 450 cc.)
    • Stones
    • Chronic prostate infection (males)
    • Having a high pressure bladder (when did you last have urodynamic studies?? What was your maximum detrusor pressure??)
    (KLD)
    Will running the cath thru alcohol help or hurt?

We do not recommend cleaning catheters for re-use with anything other than soap and water. Even if rinsed, residual chemical clings to the catheter material, and has a high correlation with causing urethritis. Plain soap (no perfumes or emolients) and water followed by the air-drying is the best and this has been shown in several research studies.

If you don't need to reuse catheters, then don't use anything on the catheter before cathing except for copious amounts of lubricant. Friction is not your friend when it comes to UTIs.

(KLD)

Everyone's different so different systems work for folks.

With the idea coming from another gearhead who's paralyzed. Whenever I empty a jug of urine I rinse out each cath separately with water eliminating any left over urine. Then put the used caths in a clean empty kool aid pitcher.
    After a week or so when it's full with 45-50 caths I put a clorox bottle cap of bleach in the pitcher and fill with water letting it sit for 15-30 minutes.
    Pour them out and rinse any left over bleach-water solution out of each cath.
    I then boil them for 5 minutes.
    When I remove them I shake 5 or so at a time vigorously to get all the water out of them and then lay them down in a towel that I microwave for 1 minute.
    The towel is upside down while being stored to drain any water that didn't get shook out.

I used to have UTI's all the time until I started doing this routine and quit putting clean ones in plastic zip bags. One UTI in 2.5 years. The one before my last UTI had me in the hospital for several days so I had to do something different.
    My primary care Doctor fought tooth and nail to get the insurance to let me get more than 4 a month, been approved for 30 a month now for about 6 months.

I thought I heard/read somewhere the Medicare had approved not reusing caths anymore. I was told insurance cos. follow the lead of Medicare.
    Any truth to that? EDIT: I noticed the nurse addressed this above. Ooops. Cool, my insurance co. is getting a phone call.

I will also say this. Those damn hard see through caths are junk. I bought 12 or so and quit using them cause they were causing blood on the tip of my caths. I only use one or two of them every three weeks or so. I was having problems this morning getting a Bard in so I whipped out one of the see through ones. It went almost all the way in, nothing. Pulled it out and it was kinked and the blood was coming out. I'm sure I'll get a UTI out of this and with the above method I haven't had but one in 2.5 years.
    Last edited by rtmike; 12-07-2008 at 09:20 PM.
    L1 Burst, incomplete on Turkey Day '03, b-caged...Jan.'06 walking w/lofstran crutches.

I like to sleep For I'm walking in my dreams.

Interesting recent study I found on pubmed.com from Boston VA center on cranburry supplements in SCI. Wish I could find out the dose type/amount/frequency used.

Evaluation of cranberry tablets for the prevention of urinary tract infections in spinal cord injured patients with neurogenic bladder.

Hess MJ, Hess PE, Sullivan MR, Nee M, Yalla SV.
    Department of Spinal Cord Injury, VA Boston Health Care System, West Roxbury, MA, USA.

STUDY DESIGN: Randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled trial with a crossover design.OBJECTIVE: To evaluate cranberry tablets for the prevention of urinary tract infection (UTI) in spinal cord injured (SCI) patients. SETTING: Spinal Cord Injury Unit of a Veterans Administration Hospital, MA, USA. METHODS: Subjects with spinal cord injury and documentation of neurogenic bladder were randomized to receive 6 months of cranberry extract tablet or placebo, followed by the alternate preparation for an additional 6 months. The primary outcome was the incidence of UTI. RESULTS: Forty-seven subjects completed the trial. We found a reduction in the likelihood of UTI and symptoms for any month while receiving the cranberry tablet (P<0.05 for all). During the cranberry period, 6 subjects had 7 UTI, compared with 16 subjects and 21 UTI in the placebo period (P<0.05 for both number of subjects and incidence). The frequency of UTI was reduced to 0.3 UTI per year vs 1.0 UTI per year while receiving placebo. Subjects with a glomerular filtration rate (GFR) greater than 75 ml min(-1) received the most benefit. CONCLUSION:Cranberry extract tablets should be considered for the prevention of UTI in SCI patients with neurogenic bladder. Patients with a high GFR may receive the most benefit. SPONSORSHIP: Spinal Cord Research Foundation, sponsored by the Paralyzed Veterans of America.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum

CONCLUSION:Cranberry extract tablets should be considered for the prevention of UTI in SCI patients with neurogenic bladder. Patients with a high GFR may receive the most benefit. SPONSORSHIP: Spinal Cord Research Foundation, sponsored by the Paralyzed Veterans of America.

Well, lookie lookie.
    And the truth shall set you free.

I have been blessed to have no infections for 1.5 years.
    However, my bladder management is not exemplary!
    Since I leak when my bladder fills to a certain volume, I use a condom cath and leg bag. I also intermittent cath 2 - 3 times a day. I stick the catheter through the condom cath. I don't clean myself first.
    I now get a new cath for each use.
    It's nice not having to wash the caths, anymore.
    The supplier is giving me little foil packs of lube.
    I stick the cath into the lube packet to get lube on it.
    Recently, I've used the package, that the catheter comes in, as a tube to get the urine into the toilet. But, I have to be careful to make that work.
    I drink cranberry juice (mixed with other juices).
    After reading some of the posts here, I'll add vitamin C to my daily vitamin.
    Rich

2,000 mg. CRANACTIN by SOLORAY daily. I've been UTI free for over two years thanks to this - it's definitely worth the money!
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    Since UTI's are a consistently a major topic, I wonder if the SCI nurses/Mods
    would see value in permanently stickying this thread so that everyone could
    post their own successful strategies for avoiding UTI's.
    I'm a quad and I use the shotgun approach.For my bladder I take:

Vitamin C probably 2.5 gram per day
    K&B formula (K&B stands for kidney & bladder)
    Cranberry capsules, take the recommended amount on the bottle. Same with K&B

Then I have my "break glass in case of fire" Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) formula called Ba Zheng San that my acupuncturist prescribes. Any TCM practitioner can help you. The formula is hundreds of years old.

Finally and most controversially, I use colloidal silver in my water...

Read in a really fast voice: "The opinions expressed in this post, are the opinions of the poster and not represent the management of this web site, its doctors, or its nurses. The poster attended the school of hard knocks and has no diploma to speak of."

... Keeping the immune system healthy is important I find. So I take garlic pills daily. I eat lots of yoghurt with live culture that I make myself. No alcohol! Lots of water as mentioned above. And I have an electrically legbag drainer on my chair, so I can drink lots without fear of a full legbag. Mine is from: http://www.assistivedesigns.com/