Thread: Single Parent Adoption

Single Parent Adoption

Hi all,

Has anyone had any success at adoption as a single parent? Did you face any barriers in the adoption process because of your spinal cord injury?

Thanks!

I remember looking into this and if memory serves, there are only three countries in the world who'll adopt out to a disabled single parent. It's also hugely expensive.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...pting+disabled

And although this is American ... http://www.cwla.org/programs/adoptio...abilities2.htm

Sorry, I re-read my post and didn't want to come off as so negative. I wish you luck if this is what you want (but you're so young - enjoy life after school for a bit Kiran!)
    Last edited by lynnifer; 12-29-2007 at 01:48 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Are you lookin' for a baby, but not a man? I have to say that it might be the way to go. Single parentdom is tough, but you don't have to put up with anyone elses shit, or comprimise. That's not exactly my situation, but close. There's enough compromise to keep things going smoothly and if there are strong feelings or objections.

I can say that it would be great to have someone to share all of the awesome moments with too. So maybe single parentdom is over rated too?

take care,

I have no plans to adopt at least for another five years or so...until I'm financially stable. That being said, I would like to start setting aside some money so that when it's more likely a reality, I'll have the means to do so.

It's too bad that countries discriminate against single people with disabilities, especially because my disability hasn't held me back in any way and I've lived a pretty fulfilling life.

I just read that adoption thread and at that time, I was considering having biological children, but with this recent health scare, I don't know how well my body would handle a pregnancy, and I'm not too keen on shopping in sperm banks, so adoption seems to be the best path for me.

I was given a hard time on fostering children so I wonder about this also.

This info is quite a few years old, so you would need to check the latest rules, but I had friends (male quad and female AB) who adopted from India, specifically from some orphanage connected to Mother Theresa's work. When I asked if there had been any concern expressed because of my friend being a quad he replied that they didn't care at all, and that, in fact, he was the one who technically did the adoption because his wife was considered almost irrelevant. I know that is probably a bad thing having to do with gender bias, but at least the disability wasn't a factor. Hopefully in the years since they have revised their consideration of women as irrelevant.

What makes me so mad.....

Disabled people are perfectly capable of loving and raising children. I went into work yesterday (I work in a hospital) to a chart on a baby that was 10 months old. It was brought in with a massive brain bleed and unresponsive. They suspect shaken baby syndrome. My whole day was ruined at that point. I cried for a few minutes.....

What monster could shake a 10 month old but yet someone willing to love children are given a hard time because their bodies dont function perfect.

Sorry Kiran....I wish everyone who wanted to adopt regardless of physical status was given the chance. The world would be a much better place and more children would get the love they deserve.

I wish you luck...I think you would make a wonderful mom.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

www.americanadoptions.com

under their FAQ:

Q. I have a medical condition. Can I still adopt?

A. We look at medical conditions on a case-by-case basis. As part of the home study process you will be required to have a current medical statement from your doctor. The medical statement asks your doctor to rate your physical and mental ability to parent a child. Every family who adopts completes this part of the process regardless of their health. We have worked with many people with special health considerations that have successfully adopted.

I just looked again, and they don't cater to single parents. But they do list other sites that do.

I know several AB single parents who have adopted. There are more rules with foreign adoption than with in country. Korea had a very strict body mass index that one had to fall into, you couldn't be more than a certain percentage over your ideal body weight. I don't remember rules about wheelchairs. There are so many foster children looking. I live down the street from a group home facility and they are always looking for people to just take kids on holidays, so they can be with a loving family for at least a short while.

darkeyed_daisy...so sorry. But you are doing all that you can and although it is no comfort to you, it is a great comfort to me that you are there for the little ones.

Liz
    Last edited by zilnh; 12-29-2007 at 01:53 PM.
    I wished upon a falling star, I wished it had not fallen...

Another option is rent-a-womb or surrogate mother (rent-a-womb just sounded funnier). You would still have to find a sperm donor but use your eggs (I guess donor egg would also work).
    My wife loved being pregnant, but unless we hit the lottery, we are done with having kids (3's enuff).
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

This may not be applicable, but as a single para I fostered teenage girls with no problems. It was very, very rewarding and something I might do again at some stage in life. It wasnt practical, nor did I want to, foster a young child or baby....so teenagers were great.