Thread: Anyone used a dry suit post SCI?

Anyone used a dry suit post SCI?

So I live up here in the great NorthWest. Where the water is COLD.
    Pre SCI I used dry suits for almost every dive.
    Thing is, with a dry suit, air gets in the legs, floating you up legs first. You are supposed to flip around and get your legs beneath you so you can vent the excess air and lose buoyancy.

I have about 150 pre-SCI dry suit dives logged.

So, finally getting around to my question:
    Has anyone used a dry suit for SCUBA post-SCI?

If so, what was your experience?

It has been 3 years since my last dive, and I yearn for the peace of being underwater. Help me convince myself that it will still be fun.

Never used one, but I use ankle weights w/ my wetsuit. Vertical diving. Someday I hope to get horizontal in the water again.

my buddy mark is a c5/c6 and he uses a dry duit for sailing. i dont know what company and what not, but i forwarded this to him so he can respond and let you know. i do know that he was able to get the company to modify some stuff so it was easier to get in and out of. good luck bro
    "But laymen sometimes think that men of cloth have an inside track. Not true! For a clergyman, there are no excuses. He can never claim that "he didn't know it was loaded," or cite youth and inexperience as a reason to ask for mercy, or claim ignorance of the law..." - Robert A. Heinlien

I have. Back in the early 90s in Nova Scotia. I used weights on my ankles as well. However I dived with 2 dive masters in case of inversion and for transportation.

Still have my custom suit with extra material in the butt and knees. They also installed a waterproof zipper for leg bag access.

I have a problem with my legs floating in a wet suit. When I dive I have a person hold each ankle to help me control bouyance and to push me along. Tuff thing is getting back on the boat

Dry Suit

Quote Originally Posted by Bondo
    So I live up here in the great NorthWest. Where the water is COLD.
    Pre SCI I used dry suits for almost every dive.
    Thing is, with a dry suit, air gets in the legs, floating you up legs first. You are supposed to flip around and get your legs beneath you so you can vent the excess air and lose buoyancy.

I have about 150 pre-SCI dry suit dives logged.

So, finally getting around to my question:
    Has anyone used a dry suit for SCUBA post-SCI?

If so, what was your experience?

It has been 3 years since my last dive, and I yearn for the peace of being underwater. Help me convince myself that it will still be fun.
    Sorry, I'm not a diver BUT I LOVE my drysuit. I just picked it up at some local ski/surf shop. I live in Seattle and love jetskiing. I put on all kinds of warm clothes, top it with my suit, and ski in glacial lakes. I only wish I could afford a jet ski as well as the suit!

Good luck!
    Jacquie

I regularly use dry and wet suits for open water swimming, snorkeling, sailing and waterskiing and have never had a problem with trapped air. I'm assuming the suit you are looking at has boots so you cannot vent from the ankle cuff? Good luck and absolutely go for it and get back in the water--you'll be totally psyched that you did.