Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bathroom sink renovation, what did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by JAYCUE
    I went with something like this. I got mine off ebay for less than $300. I've had it 2 years now with no complaints.
    I'm with you. I have vessel sinks in my bathroom and I love them. No problems at all -- especially like T4M is talking about.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Jaycu .... what a gorgeous sink. Mine is just a typical sink. Boring!

TT .... good point about the bathroom door. I was using my inlaw's bathroom over the holidays. Door open in, and I am practically jammed into the room. Thought about the fact that if I needed help, it would have to come in throught the window!!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Tell the truth now? I used that kind of sink in China. The problem with it is the clear plastic seal between the bowl and top will turn a yellowish color and black mold will grow in it. Hard to clean that seal.
    Are you referring to the drain? I just looked and everything looks fine, no yellowing/mold. The only thing you have to watch for is the faucet. When you get a package deal for cheap, sometimes the faucet isn't the greatest.

Even if you don't use that type of sink, you should consider the p trap style drain. It only sticks down about 4 inches from the bottom of the sink and goes straight back to the wall. There's no elbow to bang your knees into.

An additional feature I am adding is a trench drain with a flat shower floor. See attached photo of trench drain.
    Definitely an excellent idea. I didn't know about this until after my bathroom was complete and I wish I had one.

Jaycu .... what a gorgeous sink. Mine is just a typical sink. Boring!
    Thank you. I saw one on a home show right before we redid the bathroom. If I didn't see that show, I wouldn't have known about it and I would've put in a traditional roll under sink. Sometimes it pays to be lazy and watch tv, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYCUE
    He's going to have the sinkbase doors open and slide into the cabinet. I don't know if it's a kit or something he makes. I'll take pics and get all the info on how he does it.
    Definately give the details on that one, I like the idea of open then slide in.

Sink

I had a wall mounted 1 for years.....it craked so I went to Lowes...bought a vanity top the size I needed....bought some poplar 1 by 4....hard to find anything else stright anymore...anyhooo....I build a frame starting in the corner.....made the frame to the height I wanted....the one corner with no support I just angled it to the wall on a 45 degree angle...screwd it into the wall stud that was there....u need to no that stuff before you start so you know what size to build and the vanity size....I used all drywall screws as they work great with no drilling and you can easy takem out..put vanity in perfect fit....dammm am good.....lmao....after frame was done painted it the same as room....next day put some calk down in a few spots...just incase you need to replace it it wont be a real pain in the ass to remove...let it dry 1 day.....then installed drain and faucet.....boom your done....I did not try and hide the pipes....even tho you could if you like and still be able to roll under it as the sink is 39 inches high off the floor...above the sink I already had medice cabnets with sliding windows and with size of vanity I got all the crap I need to easy get....Open pipes dont bother me...all i have to do to use it is roll under it....doors would be a pain in the ass to open day after day...good thing to....before a year was up had to replace faucet again....nothing made in the good USA anymore....anywhoo I did this all by myself as I have all the tools and some brains....lol....Probably got 300.00 in it with wood,vanity top,calk, drywall screws, new faucet and drain stuff and I already had the paint as just painted it a few months ago....I think if you had to hire it out it would cost you 2,000....I had my 17 year old son sit on the corner with the 45 degree angle to the wall stud which is the weakest point...he 160 lbs...rock solid....could have sex on it and not worry about it breaking...hopefully someone will use it in that way someday.....lmao
    Art

I used the original vanity when modifying my bathroom. I had part of it cut out so I could fit under. Still need to get the piece used to enclose the cabinet stained to match. I had a pocket door installed to allow more room and also widened the doorway. Will be upgrading the faucet possibly to the last pic, but still looking. Also, don't forget the protective boot to cover the exposed pipes to protect your legs from burns from hot pipes... as shown in pic 3.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

This is how we did our bathroom
    Attached Images Attached Images     

this is me testing how to post pictures. I wish they could get this right. Mods could delta this post.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Name:  rsz_img_0534.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:  rsz_img_0533.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  144.4 KB
    OK. It seems that if I post more than one picture in a post, they get listed as attachments despite resizing them to 800x800.
    So this is how we did my side of the bathroom. I choose this large/flat sink. It is so frustrating to have a sink where your elbows become secondary floor drains from the water running down your arms when washing your hands, so I chose this sink. In hindsight: if I could duplicate it with as much more depth as could be accommodated, it would be nice to fill up and soak hands and forearms in.
    It was designed prior to my colostomy, so I made sure I could easily reach it from the toilet chair to simplify things when those shitty things happen!
    And because I was then spending long times there, there is a small LED TV in the left corner.