Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bathroom sink renovation, what did you do?

Question Bathroom sink renovation, what did you do?

Hey,
    I've just been thinking about a few things if I bought my own place... which most likely would be a condo or an existing house to start... with the idea of doing the few minimum renovations that'd be needed.

One thing on my mind was a bathroom sink... most existing houses they build the sink into a cabinet... which of course prohibits a wheelchair from pushing under the sink and you end up trying to hang sideways over it to wash your face or whatever... for those of you whom encountered that situation what did you do? Did you cutout an access circle into the cabinet so you could get under properly? Rip the whole cabinet out and build shelves to replace the lost storage? Leave as-is and just deal with it? If some had a pic of what they did that'd be great too.. but any suggestions/sharing of experiences would be appreciated. Thanks

My last house

I installed a stand alone with a pedestal base and added some cabinetry next to it for storage and toiletries. I found it's the only way for my size 13 feet to get close to without dumping water all over myself when washing my face or hands.

Mine is just the counter and sink. No cabinets underneath. I do want to add some narrow ones at either side (There is more space than needed) but haven;t had that done yet. Right now I have catchall bins in the corners (wicker wastebaskets actually) Holding cleaning supplies, extra roll, etc.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I had a new house built and took occupancy last February. I decided to go with a std sink, but used the lower model for mine 32". I am used to pulling up sideways and leaning over the sink. But I am T11-12.

I decided to do this after seeing the ugly thing the my builder was going to put in. I hate the exposed pipes.

I saw a nice vanity where the doors opened and a wheelchair could pull in (cool design) but I can't find it now. Here is something similar. You could probably alter a standard vanity like this too. (not a me in pic)

Quote Originally Posted by ala
    II saw a nice vanity where the doors opened and a wheelchair could pull in
    Nice idea, gotta do something with my kitchen sink. For the bathroom I got a wall hanging sink from Home Despot.

We put in a wall-hung sink that has a hidden (protected) trap near but not in the corner, then put in wall storage in a recessed medicine cabinet hung at wheelchair height on the wall just to the left of the sink. Be sure there is supporting studs and hard wood behind the sink for mounting, otherwise someone leaning on the sink can easily rip it out of the wall. There is also other bathroom storage in an old closet nearby.

Put in a facet with a pull-out hand held nozzle which makes cleaning the sink easier and can also be used for washing hair at the sink if you don't want to bother with taking a shower to do this. Put in a couple extra electrical outlets too for both an intercom (baby monitor type) and electric toothbrush as well as razor, etc. etc.

(KLD)

Shower room

As I write this string I am remodeling my bathroom into a full shower room. This is the sink I have chosen by Duravit, series Happy D, 23" wide x 18" deep. Top of sink will be 34" as by the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities, see page 50.

titanium4motion

credit to:
    picture Duravit USA
    ADAAG, American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities by the U.S. Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board (Access Board).
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 12-28-2007 at 01:35 PM.

I went with something like this. I got mine off ebay for less than $300. I've had it 2 years now with no complaints.

Attachment 19681

Nice idea, gotta do something with my kitchen sink. For the bathroom I got a wall hanging sink from Home Despot.
    Our new kitchen is going in this week. My brother does that stuff for a living. He's going to have the sinkbase doors open and slide into the cabinet. I don't know if it's a kit or something he makes. I'll take pics and get all the info on how he does it.

hmm, thanks for the replies/pics so far... its giving me so me ideas on how to handle it if we encounter it

Somethings to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYCUE
    I went with something like this. I got mine off ebay for less than $300. I've had it 2 years now with no complaints.

Attachment 19681
    Tell the truth now? I used that kind of sink in China. The problem with it is the clear plastic seal between the bowl and top will turn a yellowish color and black mold will grow in it. Hard to clean that seal.

Let me add something that many faucets companies say. They say their products are in ADA compliance but they are not. Look at the attached photo from ADAAG, page 50. The top of the sink is 34" and the bottom of the mirror surface is 40". If your faucet spout is 7-1/4" tall and you have a mirror cabinet door that opens to store personal items in. The spout is in the way of the mirror door opening. Look for a low profile faucet.

If you are adding a mirror cabinet for storage add in on the side of it or the rear of it a GFI outlet for small electrical shavers. It will be out of the way on the sink top.

Something else to consider? Shelving. I found this wine rack by Rogar that I am installing on my wall to store towels and supplies. See ADAAG for shelving and how high it should be installed. ADAAG pdf is in above thread. Rogar wine racks can be found at http://www.beveragefactory.com.

An additional feature I am adding is a trench drain with a flat shower floor. See attached photo of trench drain.

Something else to consider is the bathroom door. It should swing outwards in case you fall in the bathroom or shower room help can assist you. The door swing outwards gives you more room inside the bathroom or shower room.

titanium4motion

Credit due to:
    ADAAG image, page 50, ADAAG, American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities by the U.S. Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board (Access Board).
    Photo wine rack. Rogar Company
    Trench drain photo, NDS
    Photo of trench drain by Stormtech Architectural, http://www.stormtech.com.au/

Last edited by titanium4motion; 12-31-2007 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Add jpg of ADAAG page 50