Thread: Walt Disney World

Walt Disney World

We have just begun the stages of replanning our Walt Disney Trip. We were supposed to go in early Oct 2007 but since Rob's accident in July, we had to put it on hold. I'm working with a Travel Agent and have let her know that we would like a hotel (room wheelchair accessible) w/ the monorail for easy access to Magic Kingdom and Epcot. But I'm wondering what other things I should plan? This is the first time we will be traveling since the accident. Rob is a paraplegic, wheelchair FT. He can transfer to pretty much anything on his own (bed, toilet, sofa.) I'm looking for those who have traveled to WDW and what kind of good advice you can give me. Is the whole park accessible?

Plus, what kind of traveling advice anyone can give a first time w/ SCI traveler.

Thanks
    KAP

Kap-

I was just in WDW in July of this year. I'll say right away "Do Not" stay at the Grand Floridian Hotel/Spa Resort. It is an older hotel that has been completley remodeled but the accessible rooms are not accessible. The bathroom was in no way wheelchair friendly. I'm T-10 and transfer easily to anything and it was physically impossible to transfer to the toilet or the shower. Good thing I was there with my family and I had my dad help me when it came to these things. They claimed they had no other rooms availbale and the tub bench was a joke also. I fought that one and was awarded a free trip to any resort down there, that's a whole different story though.

All the parks are completely accessible but beware about the other tourists as they could care less about your disability. They are constanly stopping right in your path and walking right across your path. I'm not a ignorant person but by the 2nd day I just kept on pushing and running into people. Then they're dumba**'s finally got the hint. If you plan on attending the Magic Kingdom and stay for the light parade I would advise claiming a spot about 1 hour before it starts. Especially if you want to see up close. Right in front of the castle they rope off a area for wheelchair use only. Up front seating, it was great.

Also, buy a rain poncho here. They charge a lot for them down there. It rained everyday we were there, but only for about 30 min. each time. We didn't have rain poncho's and were soaked from head to toe the first day there.

Get a map for all the parks and they give detailed info. on which rides require transfering from the chair and which ones you can just stay in the chair.

The monorail is completely accessible also. But beware some of the entrance and exit ramps are very steep and nearly impossible to navigate without any help.

Have anymore questions ask away. Also if you have a room already. Block the room so no one else can get it, and so the hotel can't give it away.

Here is good link to read through also. http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...=PlainHomePage

Eddie
    Last edited by nick; 12-27-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Nick

Did you go to any of the parks that require bus transport? How were those as far as getting on and off? Thanks for the tip about Grand Floridian, we were looking at Polynesian but now I'm wondering if that's too old? Could run into the same problem.

Kap,
    We are going in three weeks. I am a T8 para. I started on our planning last Oct. I would suggest the AllEarsNet sight as well as Passporter. There is a great book out there called "Open Mouse for Walt Disney World and Cruise Line" I found it invaluable. It goes through each hotel, park, restuarant, etc. in great detail. We decided to stay at the Polynesian because the rooms are some of the largest at Disney. There is also a website tikiman2001 (I think) that show pics of the wheelchair access rooms. Hope this helps.

Yes, I used the shuttle from the airport. Very easy and the people are very friendly. We also took a bus from Hollywood Studios because the monorail didn't go near there. They made half the bus get out because they needed to fold the seat to make room for the wheelchair's. Those people weren't very happy and I didn't feel bad as we were stuck in a down pour and I was soaked. My shoes were still saturated the next morning.

The Polynesian might be worth a try. Just stress the point that the individual is totaly unable to walk or stand and will need plenty of room for transfering.

The book that Momo is talking about my brother bought and he said it's extremely helpful.

Also, I'm not sure if you've heard of this, but it's interesting. We had one while down there. http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...=PalMickeyPage

Have fun,
    Eddie
    Last edited by nick; 12-31-2007 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks for the info. I have never heard of the PalMickey. Amazing what they come up with!

Momo, let me know how your trip goes. I would love to hear about the experience. I wish you great weather and many good times.

I will! Also found a message board similar to this that deals with Disney travel. It is called DISboards.com