Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Quad] need advice on first driving vehicle

[Quad] need advice on first driving vehicle

hi there!! I'm 20 years old and I live in Argentina, got a complete C5C6 SCI. I've been looking for my first vehicle for over a year, and gathered a lot of info, but still can't decide, can you help me??? I'll try to make a brief overview of each option:

• Car, where I should transfer to the driver's seat: the main issue is transfering, nowadays I'm able to transfer to my bed using a home-made transfer table; the difference is that my bed is at the same height of my wheelchair, and the bed is much closer than a driver's seat because in a car you have that big empty space that the door occupies. The second problem would be putting the wheelchair inside the car. If some day I'm tired??? Also the clothes tend to move when transferring, what if I have to be well dressed??
    • Minivan, with ramp: the only problem is the amount of space I would need to fit the minivan, together with the deployed ramp...it would be complicated in some places.....the good thing is the independence
    • Fully accessible truck: I like the UVL, but I really don't need a truck, I live in a city and never go to the country side....
    • Van, with lift: the most comfortable, but too big!!!! I don't feel like driving such a big vehicle....yet it's so comfortable!!!!!
    • Modified PT Cruiser: I LOVE IT, but I'm not so sure I will be able to climb the ramp....
    • Modified Elemen: I really don't like entering from the passenger's side, because there won't be a passenger's seat, also the ramp it's to steep....
    in every case, except of the simple car, I would need to import the vehicle....wich is a big deal trying to avoid taxes, therefore another benefit foir the car......

My dream is to find a SUV with an UVL, does that exist????

thanks for your help!!!!!!

Hi,
    For sometime I tried to manage with a normal car with hand controls, and then switched to a mini van with a side deploying ramp. It is true that you need to think carefully when you park as someone can park too close and prevent you getting back in. I don't have any knowledge of laws and such in Argentina, but I usually have no problem with curb parking (unless there is a snowbank where the ramp is to come down) and in private lots if there isn't a decent van spot I just park diagonally, taking up two spots and insuring that I can get into my van again. I have never had a problem with this, and the side of my van has a sticker that says "please allow 8 ft, modified handicapped vehicle," so if anyone was going to bitch about me taking up two spaces hopefully they understand why it was necessary. I chose a minivan over a full size van because I wanted front wheel drive for the snow, to say nothing of being able to fit into garage parking without worrying about it being too high to fit. I did the transfer into a car for years with a long transfer board, but it was a ridiculous amount of work, and not a lot of fun when it was pouring or snowing all over me. With the van I can transfer to the seat (I chose not to drive from my wheelchair) after I am already out of the elements, so that is one of the nicest parts for me, along with the fact that I can already have the door closed and have a certain amount of privacy for my laborious transfer without everyone gawking at me. I had the Dodge seat adapted by my conversion company so that it is eight way adjustable, and is exactly the same height as my chair, and can swivel to the side so that my chair is right next to the seat. There is literally no gap between the car seat and the wheelchair (other than the wheelspace). Because the ramp is on the side door it did not affect the passenger seat or the backseat, so I am always able to carry at least three other people, and a ton of stuff in the middle with the wheelchair if I go shopping. I love the look of the PT Cruiser and the Element too, but have had no experience with them. Good luck in you search.

my injury is c6-7 and have been in a chair for 22 years now and i can tell you that unfortunately you are not going to be able to use a regular car with your level of injury. sure you could manage to transfer and possible break down your chair and load it. but it would be quite a struggle and not very practical. try doing it 4 to 5 times a day. If you want an suv that you can drive from your chair, look here:http://www.kvb.ca/. a much cheaper option, if you get the transfer down, you might consider a lowered pickup with a bruno out rider in the back that loads your chair in the bed. i've used these in el caminos, an S10 and an extended cab Silverado. and yes the ramps on the vehicles you mentioned are too steep for a c5 in a manual chair. the best option for you i think is a full size van with a rear mounted lift. thats what i drive now. yeah they're big but these days it just like driving a car or maybe suv. the rear mounted lift allows you to park in just about any parking space. i have a motorized sofa/bed that runs sideways along the drivers side back.
    here's the first wheelchair accessible suv:

i built this about 12 years ago and still drive it today.

C5C6 - I'm a C5/6 complete also (1981). I drive a Ford 1 ton with a vangater side lift and an easy lock chair lock down. The van's huge and drinks a lot of gas, but it is roomy, safe, carries 6 people plus me and is easy to use and drive. Can you import the lift and buy a van in Argentina to save on taxes?

I'd love to have a "regular" car but I can't safely do solo car transfers without risking cuts/scrapes and the possible pressure sores. But, if you can tranfer into a car relatively quickly and safely, do it.

The amount of space next to the van is an issue with both lifts and ramps. I've been boxed in by people making a space between two handicapped spaces. The solution is to park diagonal so another car won't fit. It does take extra attention while picking a spot but it's not a big deal.

Now after all that rambling, I think you'll be happiest with a minivan. Just make sure you can push up the ramp! If you buy used (2-3 years) you can save a lot of money. Also, check if used cars are subject to the same import duties.

IMO I'd stay away from the less mainstream disabled vehicles. Particularly if you're 6000 miles from a warranty repair.

You can get a Honda Element with the ramp on the drivers side.

Pattherat, can you post more pics (interior) and more info of your Jeep please? I had a 93 wrangler that color before my injury.

mines an '89 wrangler i believe it's "spinaker" blue. i grafted on a WWII jeep grill and made the tube fenders. the interior has no carpet, recaro seats and a custom dash and gauges that i made to look more like a cj. i hated the yj's plastic dash. the rear floor was lowered about six inches and the ricon unilte bolted right in. i use an older ricon door opener for the rear window and an actuator for the door. the front seat base is a b&d 6-way which is now 4-way cuz i removed the forward/back mechanism so it would fit. now it just goes up/down and swivels. i'll take a few interior pics for you tomorrow.
    Last edited by pattherat; 12-27-2007 at 09:38 PM.

here's a pic i found on my comp showing the seat down, the dash and hand controls:

i'll get a shot from the back with the seat up and swiveled tomorrow.

just looked at www.kvb.ca, it RULES!!!! Never seen such a great idea......the minivans with ramps will give me lots of headaches trying to find a place to park or waiting for the car next to me to move......it just wont work.....

I would really need to read an opinion on kvb SUVs!!!!!!! And if someone knows how steep is the PT Cruiser Ramp.......

thank you guys.....

Quote Originally Posted by C5C6
    the minivans with ramps will give me lots of headaches trying to find a place to park or waiting for the car next to me to move......it just wont work.....
    Don't you have HC parking spaces and some with wider hash marks for vans? Or end spots that you can lower your ramp? I can always find a spot. I wouldn't trade my mini-van for nothing..

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by pattherat
    mines an '89 wrangler i believe it's "spinaker" blue. i grafted on a WWII jeep grill and made the tube fenders. the interior has no carpet, recaro seats and a custom dash and gauges that i made to look more like a cj. i hated the yj's plastic dash. the rear floor was lowered about six inches and the ricon unilte bolted right in. i use an older ricon door opener for the rear window and an actuator for the door. the front seat base is a b&d 6-way which is now 4-way cuz i removed the forward/back mechanism so it would fit. now it just goes up/down and swivels. i'll take a few interior pics for you tomorrow.
    How much head clearance do you have with the lowered floor? How tall are you in your chair? Was it a lot of work to lower the floor? What's that plug sticking out of the gas filler spot? (sorry for so many questions. I like when people make their own mods on vehicles that aren't the usual wheelchair cruiser.)