Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New house, need wiring suggestions.

New house, need wiring suggestions.

We're building a new, more accessible house and we're at the stage where the house is enclosed, but the drywall is not up. Right now I have the opportunity to install any type of wiring in the walls I'd like. I plan to install speaker wire for surround sound in the family room, and maybe some computer network wiring (though that's mostly wireless now), but are there any other things I should be thinking about before the walls are closed up?

My sister and bro-in-law just remodeled a home and they put in quite a bit of electrical conduit that is empty in anticipation of someday in the future needing to add more electronics. In the future, it will be pretty easy to thread new wires through the conduit without having to guess now what type of wiring will be needed.

(KLD)

If you do put in unused conduit (good idea!), run a length of stout twine through as it's put together, and ensure that it can be pulled back & forth reasonably freely. You can use that to pull wires through later, when you know what kind of wires are wanted. Not knowing its ultimate uses, a difficult part, of course, is to decide where to put the access points / wall plates.
    You might think about wiring for a burglar alarm; it's a heck of a lot cheaper to do that now than later.
    This is also an opportunity for adding water pipes in the ceiling for a fire sprinkler system (at least in the laundry room).
    - Richard

We had an intercom system installed in every room in the house and outside. It also includes the front door. It allows us to answer the door or communicate, and also listen if necessary. It has been invaluable, even though we have a fairly small house. We also did distributed audio throughout the house, and the intercom utilizes those speakers. They can also use a small speaker that fits into a standard wall switch size. They have come a long way. Also, this was a newly built home and they included two (I would do three) coax connections, data port and phone jack in every room. Another good thing is switch controlled power outlets. Lastly, if we could have, I would have put hard-wired night lighting throughout the house either on a timer or photosensor.

http://www.russound.com/

This is the product that we used, there are others but we really liked it. A little pricey, but well worth it for us. Also check into it as deductible medical expense.

We also did an alarm system. Can be used to call for medical emergency help as well.
    Last edited by kittim; 12-26-2007 at 01:28 PM.

personally

I always wire two light switches in my room, on near the door in the usual location and one near the bed because I hate having to get up once I'm on my bed to turn off the lights if I have been reading or something. Make sure you wire a dedicated circuit for your computer and not run it off of the many wall outlets that are put in on a common leg. I would add cat 5 to every room for phones and networking, and I like to wire cable and speaker line to every room also.

the Center for Universal Design might have some good ideas to consider. especially when building from anew.

http://www.design.ncsu.edu/cud/quick...quicklinks.htm

http://www.design.ncsu.edu/cud/pubs_p/pemergtech.htm

Quote Originally Posted by gpbullock
    I would add cat 5 to every room for phones and networking, and I like to wire cable and speaker line to every room also.
    I was thinking about this, but nowadays everything is wireless, so I don't know if it is justified. Is there any reason to do this aside from computers and phones?

I believe that the intercom uses this type of wiring. Wireless is still not reliable for many applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    I was thinking about this, but nowadays everything is wireless, so I don't know if it is justified. Is there any reason to do this aside from computers and phones?
    fiber optic feed, i am sure when they get fiber to the house the router will not be able to use the full signal.
    conduit is cheap, as rfb said you need to run a number of drag lines to each termination point waxed string works, just make sure it doesnt get hung up on bends, you could put in a plate where things go from one level to another, in bend s are a problem. who knows what the future will bring with fiber optics, then gain you can just build channels on the out side of the house to bring the new service in
    cauda equina

David was saying EMT Conduit for any future needs that may arise .. then it's easier to access.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12