Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer toe / pressure sore

Hammer toe / pressure sore

I had a compond fracture from a toe years back when I wore braces. I can not wear them anymore and my feet curve in and my toes will cross over each other, thus resulting in my compound fracture toe digging into my fouth toe. I now have a pressure sore. I know not to let it heal on the out side but I do not know how to keep the apart? Maybe a peticure thing women use to get their toes painted? I have been using a hydoactive dressing (duroderm) - is this good or bad. I have a boot with an open toe from a pressure sore on the top of my Big toe so that is what I am wearing now but each time I transfer my fourth toe (the bad one) takes the pressure.

You can get pads designed to pad toes. Footsmart is a site that I am familiar with. You can also check with your local podiatrist. Until then, use a cotton ball, or better yet, real lamb's wool to keep toes out of contact with each other. The latter is what we use in the clinic.

(KLD)

Thank you KLD,
    I remember that!? Lamb skin is good - I called www.sportaid.com - What if I used a roho cast with brace and open toe?
    Thank you,
    Matt

I recommend wearing something with a good solid sole when you are out of bed, but with open toes (and with the sole extending beyond the toes). Something like a Teva sandal is ideal. If you wear something that is soft all over, it will not protect your toes from a wall-jam, and you can get pressure ulcers from the footrests on your wheelchair.

(KLD)

KLD, I am using an ankle contracture boot. It has a hard heel with two velkro straps and a hard plastic curve on the heel also. Can I clean it with antibiotic cream? Soap and warm water?1/3 hydrogen peroxide with 2/3 warm water?I like the heel structure because it extends my leg and in a chair when I am still at work.I saw a boot a friend had at work and it blew up like a roho with an open toe, it was cool.
    Thank you,
    Matt

Never use peroxide on a wound. Clean with normal saline (I can send you a formula to make your own if you need it) and gently pat dry. Keep covered with a dressing that retains moisture. Of course you know I am going to say you need to see a physician if you see any inflammation (redness) around the wound or extending up onto your foot, or if it does not improve within a week or two.

I am more concerned about protection of your toes at this point than your heel. Wear something on your foot that will assure that if you hit something with your foot, what will hit first is the sole, not your toes.

(KLD)

Thank you KLD, I would love to have the receipe. I have a foot massager (the kind you soak your feet in water and I have Epsom salt) I just was not sure. I checked it this morning and It has opened up and looks white around the edge but the rest of the toe will blanch(sp?)My toe is not hitting the floor and I am being careful during my transfers.
    Matt

Hunker, please PT me with your e-mail.

(KLD)

http://www.quickperformance.com/Quic...20%2489.00.htm

KLD,
    My toe looks really good I have been using duroderm and keeping the mix you gave me. I was watching the race the other day and saw the shoes the race car drivers were wearing. Do you think this is a good shoe for my toe and ankles? I can not find anything that is ok for work I am still using my open toe brace at this time.