Thread: Gaming Mouse?

Gaming Mouse?

Ok, so ten days ago my Ligitech corded optical mouse that I'd been using for two years died. It had served me well and was very responsive and comfortable for the solitaire and Centipede games which are all I use a mouse for gaming with - but I'd been twisting and untwisting the tail on it for all that time and it finally shorted out. Before fully giving up the ghost it managed to produce such bizarre effects on my desktop as to make me worry that the entire system was experiencing a major crash.

Yesterday I got another Logitech from our local Office-Max. It's a cordless unit, running off two AA cells and it's relatively heavy and slow. I had to play six consecutive games of Centipede to reach my selfimposed 100,000 point cutoff today - the mouse is that unresponsive. This in spite of Logitech's claim that it's got a mega-fast laser engine. So I started searching for a replacement mouse on eBay.

Well it turns out that there is a major subcatagory of "gaming mice" out there. I found at least ten on offer and an still checking out some of them for features and recommendations (user reviews) on Amazon and some interesting things have emerged. Razer makes a few versions of a gaming mouse - but according to some very disgruntled customers (reviewing on Amazon) they give no customer support nor do they replace faulty mice, even though they claim to. No Razer mice for me at any price. One of Logitech's most expensive cordless gaming mice, the G9 laser mouse, is uncomfortable to use - so that's out.

Does anybody have some experience with a gaming mouse and want to comment or make some recommendations.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

KENSINGTON makes GREAT mice.

http://ca.kensington.com/html/6777.html

Here's a demonstration video of a Kensington Expert Mouse Pro Trackball - 64213, that's a good option for quads with limited or no finger function.

Hi Steve,

I don't really know what a "gaming mouse" is so can't comment. Sorry. I just use a common MS Intellimouse Explorer for e-golfing... I like the feel of the left click micro-switch button. The black paint is worn off my left button but the mouse still works perfectly after 3 or 4 years.

I wouldn't play e-golf (or any other game that's so timing intensive) with a cordless mouse since the timing of the golf swing is in the hundreds or thousands of a second. And there's the battery issue too. I can put up with the cord.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

the mouse sensitivity might have changed when you installed the new one.

Hey Jon, the sensitivity I could live with since adjusting it through the self-installed mouse properties program - which has also somewhat dedstabalized my system. What I can't live with is the weight and feel of this cordless mouse. I simply cannot even come near the control my old Logitech corded optical (the new uncorded is also an optical) gave me. I've spent over six hours in playing centipede and it doesn't matter what surface I put under the mouse (some improve it noticably though) I still must "slug" through each game - never able to go into "unconsious" mode to really enjoy and excell at the game.

I have located some gaming mice, both corded and not, on eBay that I'm going to try to win. I just don't want to spend more than thirty-five bucks and most bid higher than that. I'll keep mum about specific auctions since my paranoid nature suspects that some of you "guys" might just get interested and make life harder for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jon 0
    the mouse sensitivity might have changed when you installed the new one.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Hi Bob, thanks for the input; yes, there is a whole world of gaming mice out there. Even after eliminating most based on Amazon reviews I've found ten or so that look promising.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Well I just finished my second centipede game in a row finishing with lots of extra lives; I only had to restart the game once. So does this demonstrate that my original evaluation of this LX-7 Logitech mouse was off? I don't think so; I simply learned to compensate for the deficiencies of this mouse by changing my grip on it to allow left-clicking out at the top of the mouse where it's lightest/most responsive. I still want a better, gaming mouse, and here's my reasoning.

From my investigations over the past few days I've come to understand that there are much lighter, more responsive mice designed specifically for gaming. I want one! Now this goes directly against my "lip-service / chin-music" philosophy of not coveting anything just because it will "get you there quicker". It's a clear parallel of the sick obsession our society has with speed and power in all fields of activity, our personal transportation being most notable in this regard. I hold that it's patently foolish and ridiculous to obsess with having a vehicle that will get you from zero to sixty a few seconds faster than your buddy/neighbor when a few decades ago his ride would outstrip anything else on the road (OK, half a century ago) and back then the same fools were obsessing about getting a ride that would go as fast as what he's bought and keeps on the road for a fraction of what it will cost to keep a "performance" ride on the road today. Not even to consider the ecological footprint of the performance ride today. But there you are; I want the "faster" mouse - because I know it's availible.

At least it's ecological footprint is limited to what its production and marketing extracted from Earth's resources before I got (projecting a bit here) it.
    J.B.S.Haldane

I'm a C-6 quad and i use a Kensington Expert Trackball Mouse [Model: KB64325] and it's the only mouse I can really use well...
    I'm typing this message with typing "sticks" some call typing aides (typical brown-colored plastic cuffs with rubber tips sold by North Coast or Sammons Preston) and I just keep the right hand rubber-tipped stick on my hand and run the trackball with the rubber tip of the aide and click the button (right or left) with the stick also... Seems to work better for me than when using just my hand.

I won a Microsoft Sidewinder corded laser mouse this morning. It comes with a cord anchor (to produce a cordless feel), a bunch of weights and three sets of "feet" to help you get the customized feel you want to get the most out of the mouse. The laser response is higher than an optical mouse can attain. I'll be getting it at less than half the retail price - it ends my search for a gaming mouse.
    J.B.S.Haldane