Thread: I Switched

I Switched

...to Firefox.

Microsoft and I have had an amicable relationship for over a decade, with every computer I have ever owned running a version of Windows.

Internet Explorer had always treated me well and I formed an unhealthy attachment to it, preventing me from fully exploring other options. The look and feel -- the ease of use and familiarity I had with the keyboard shortcuts -- they formed an addiction stronger than cocaine.

For ten years, I have tweaked my Favorites folder Internet Explorer to make accessing my favorite sites a breeze. I know instinctively that Alt+A brings up Favorites, C opens the Communities folder, and another C loads CareCure. Google News is similarly just a few keystrokes away at Alt+A, N[ews], G[oogle News], and the TV Guide is available by hitting Alt+A, V, L[istings]. The sites I visit frequently are all only 3, 4, or 5 keystrokes away -- very convenient for a mouthstick user.

My devotion to Internet Explorer was tested with early builds of Firefox. The stability it offered was intriguing, as was the thought of a new broser after Internet Explorer's development stagnated. The shortcut keys ingrained in me through years of repetition were all nearly identical in Firefox -- Alt+A for Favorites being the most important.

Then things changed. I can't remember when exactly, but Firefox changed. Bookmarks replaced Favorites, and my finely tuned world shattered.

I tried to adjust. Change is good, I told myself. Alt+A -- no, Alt+B -- then C, C for CareCure. What's new at Google News? Alt+A -- no, Alt+B you moron! -- N, G. Wired News? Alt+ ... B, N, W. Slashdot? Alt+ ... B, N, N.

I learned the new shortcut, but it felt awkward -- unnatural, even. It just wasn't something I could do. A is just up and over from Alt -- a quick transition -- with B haphazardly placed between both Alt keys. That keyboard shortcut defied the natural order, forcing users to submit to the lewd combination.

Compromise was in order: Firefox had numerous advantages through its extensions, and Internet Explorer contained the sweet nectar of Alt+A. Neither of them complained when I used them simultaneously, enabling me to take advantage of both of their unique "talents".

Firefox was always tempting me, though. Its presence on my taskbar would beckon to me during my Internet Explorer sessions.

"Why are you using that inferior browser when you can have me instead?"

"Because it has Alt+A," I would reply.

One day -- not long ago -- I came across the tease of a lifetime. This single extension was my methadone. It finally enabled me to kick the Internet Explorer habit.

It gave me my beloved Alt+A.

I dumped Internet Explorer a few days later, making Firefox my default browser.

Goodbye, Microsoft. We had good days together, but Firefox has much more to offer me heading into the future. Reminderfox? Google Reader and GMail notifiers? All great productivity enhancers.

Flash movie downloader? Combined with TivoDotNet -- a great way to watch Google Tech Talks and OpenCourseWare videos.

I wish I could say I will miss you, Internet Explorer, but I would be lying.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

The one I don't like is Atl +S

It's the shortcut to post on forums, but in FireFox it opens a Command bar.

That's kinda frustrating. Would it be modifiable with XUL?

Are you setup to build a copy of Firefox locally from source? If so, just edit the browser.dtd and change <!ENTITY historyMenu.accesskey "s"> to <!ENTITY historyMenu.accesskey "y"> or any other key you want.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

thasts way over my head....... I'm not that computer good, I on ly play one on Care Cure

Blog Entries
    OPERA. My friend since 97.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    thasts way over my head....... I'm not that computer good, I on ly play one on Care Cure
    Well, um...

If you know how to edit your userChrome.css, add the following line:

#go-menu { display: none !important; } That will disable the History menu and restore the Alt+S functionality.

Of course, that trick won't work if you actually use the History menu.

ETA: Actually, you can probably do away with that by hitting Alt+Shift+S... annoying.

Capn: Opera? Really?