Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hotels & accessible showers & shower chairs

hotels & accessible showers & shower chairs

curious from those who have traveled... I do the bowel program & shower sitting up in a shower chair with wheels... is this something a hotel will be able to provide if asked... assuming you find the right hotel etc.

while I'm at it, what about the showers... I need one you can roll said shower chair into etc.
    thanks,

All the hotels i've stayed at Do NOT supply rolling commode chairs, i doubt if any do.I bought my own portable fold up one for my travels !!!
    The acessable rooms usually do have great wheel in showers BUT make sure that you tell them exactly that is what you need GOOD LUCK.

Yup. Bring your own travel commode chair. And you should be able to bring it with you on domestic flights without additional charge (as medical equipment).

Not all hotels have roll-in showers in their WC accessible rooms, so make sure you ask and then ask again.
    Daniel

Same here. We travel with a fold-up shower/commode chair on wheels. Can't depend on having a decent stationary shower chair in hotels, much less one that has wheels. Most of the roll-in shower rooms only have a fold down wall-mounted seat.

(KLD)

where can i found such a device?

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    Yup. Bring your own travel commode chair. And you should be able to bring it with you on domestic flights without additional charge (as medical equipment).

Not all hotels have roll-in showers in their WC accessible rooms, so make sure you ask and then ask again.
    do you have a case or a bag for it? Do you just declare it medical luggage at check-in?
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Ours came with its own bag. We just check it as "medical equipment" (which I marked on the outside with a felt tipped pen), so there is not an excess baggage charge.

The one we have is currently not available in the USA (it was imported by Rolli-Moden before they went out of business in the USA, but we bought it lightly used on eBay). It is called the Chameleon chair and is made in Denmark as I remember. They are not cheap, buy worth every penny for they freedom they have given us.

Here are a couple others you might want to look at:

www.nuprodx.com

www.goesanywhere.com

(KLD)

happy holidays guys,
    this is good info... so it is possible that some hotels might have a stationary comode chair (even if it's feeble)

my main problem is a need to do the bp upright due to dysreflexia issues... I've heard some people actually do it in bed

any creative solutions outside of punching a hole in the bottom of a hotel chair?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wchair
    happy holidays guys,
    this is good info... so it is possible that some hotels might have a stationary comode chair (even if it's feeble)

my main problem is a need to do the bp upright due to dysreflexia issues... I've heard some people actually do it in bed

any creative solutions outside of punching a hole in the bottom of a hotel chair?
    Thanks
    If crunch came to absolute crunch, cover the seat (upper portion) of any chair with a trash bag or bags, second, lay a bunch of disposable chucks under you, wear gloves and lean forward to gather and dispose.

I know this sounds kinda funky but that really is our lives for ya, and this ensures everything is covered. Unless your stools are lose and then maybe more chucks or a diaper.

I know...I know, but if the choice is AD or bowel program....

This thread mentions a nice looking travel chair.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=89131
    T7-8 since Feb 2005