Thread: Lice Treatment?

Lice Treatment?

Anyone here know of an effective way of treating head lice? Weve tried most over the counter treatments but nothing seems to work.
    I did a google search and found something called licerx that seems to be effective for lice treatment according to testimonials listed on their website. Anyone tried using licerx.

Thanks
    Julian

If you have used the product properly, and still have the lice, I would recommend that you see your physician.

I assume you followed the directions, not only for application, but also for throwing away or washing linens, combs, etc.?

Over-the-counter medications used to treat pediculosis include:

Pyrethrins (pie-WREATH-rins) - often combined with piperonyl butoxide (pie-PER-a-nil beu-TOX-side):
    Brand name products include A-200*, Pronto*, R&C*, Rid*, Triple X*.

Pyrethrins are natural extracts from the chrysanthemum flower. Though safe and effective, pyrethrins only kill crawling lice, not unhatched nits. A second treatment is recommended in 7-10 days to kill any newly hatched lice. Treatment failures are common.

Permethrin (per-meth-rin):
    Brand name product: Nix*.

Permethrins are similar to natural pyrethrins. Permethrins are safe and effective and may continue to kill newly hatched lice for several days after treatment. A second treatment may be necessary in 7-10 days to kill any newly hatched lice that may have hatched after residual medication from the first treatment was no longer active. Treatment failures are common.

Prescription drugs include:

Malathion (Ovide*): When used as directed, malathion is very effective in treating lice. Some medication remains on the hair and can kill newly hatched lice for seven days after treatment. Malathion is intended for use on people 6 years of age and older. Few side-effects have been reported. Open sores from scratching may cause malathion to sting the scalp.

Lindane (Kwell*): When used as directed, the drug is probably safe. Overuse, misuse, or accidentally swallowing Lindane can be toxic to the brain and other parts of the nervous system. For those reasons Lindane is generally used only if other medications have failed. Lindane should not be used if excessive scratching has caused open sores on the head. It should be used with caution in persons who weigh less than 110 pounds.

Since the LiceRx you mentioned does not tell you what is in it, and offers only testimonials instead of scientific data about its safety and effectiveness (and is not FDA approved for treatment of head lice) I cannot recommend it.

Here is the information on pediculosis from the CDC:

Pediculosis

(KLD)

Those buggers are getting resistant. I have known several families who have really battled the lice, even with proper use of the over the counter treatments. They all cut their hair short and kept at it....washing everything, bagging everything and treating over and over...and ov course the combing out the eggs.

I dont know about this new stuff, but I knwo it can be a battle these days. Just keep at it.

Prior to World War 2, before the inventions of insecticides, they usually washed the hair with kerosine. You hear about it being used in WW1, to clean up some of the soldiers and refugees. I would not recomend this, but if all else fails, I guess you could try it. I wouldn't recomend it though.

When I was a kid, I cought the darn things of the gym teacher"s daughter 3 times. Yuck, I had to sit though the treatment three times. This whole lice thing, just thinking about it makes me itch!

get prescription strength medicated shampoo; over the counter stuff isn't as good

use it several times over a period of weeks to kill newly hatched bugs

consider chopping off most of your hair for now to deprive them breeding sanctuary