Thread: 91 tough days

91 tough days

Well, here goes. My wife was injured in a auto accident on 9-20-07. She is C5/6 incomplete with Central Cord Syndrome. Her name is Evonne and she is 37 yrs old. We have two kids (girl 11, boy 5). I have been "lurking" on this web site for the past 70-80 days and this is my first post. A few random thoughts:
    -this web site is the best thing since pockets on pants!! I read SO MANY helpful things and SO MANY things that make perfect sense to me
    -I am able to draw tremendous strength and inspiration from the both the folks w/SCI and the AB spouse/family/friends
    -I brag to my wife every day about this web site-she is gonna love it

Here is our story. Evonne went from the accident site to the regional trauma center on a helicopter w/in 60 min of her accident and the ER folks treated her with steriods w/in minutes. She was in ICU for 7 days-very hazy and she cant remember much (her mom/dad and I remember every single detail-AHHH!). Went to ICU-lite for another 7 days then onto in-patient rehab on 10-5-07. She has been in rehab since then and she is making great progress. Like a lot of others, we were told to expect the worst-no walking, mimimal use of hands/arms, need for full-time assistance and care-blah, blah, blah. I know why "they" say that but "they" were wrong again. My wife is walking (with a walker but she can take steps w/out any help), she can feed herself, and....she has full function and control of her bowl and bladder. I am leaving out most of the details in the interest of time but here is what I can say for family members/friends of new SCI patients:
    -take care of yourself-try to get rest and eat-you are no good to the injured person if you are not functioning at close to 100%
    -ask a ton of questions and do not stop till you get answers-ask doctors, ask nurses, get on web sites (this one is the best IMHO)
    -engage as many family members/friends that you can muster to help
    -Hope and pray for the best but prepare for the worst
    -Get a second opinion and question any diagnosis and/or prognosis at any time for any reason. I have a lot of respect and admiration for people in the medical profession but thay are human.

Bottom Line: do the very best you can do. Do not dwell on the fact that you (and your loved one) are on a long journey-just focus on the next step. There will be many unexpected twists and turns (UTI, DVT, AD, fever, spasm, etc) take each thing as it comes and deal with it head on. You will get through it and it does get better. Be strong and pray (If you are not a religious/spiritual person I suggest you re-evaluate your position on that).

I do not have much more to share but I am willing to help and reach out to any one who has any questions for me. Thank you and God Bless.

Matt

Great post, Great Attitude.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill

Wow, you said it so well! I'm not sci, but was born with spins-bifida. Everything you said, reminds me of my younger days at Boston Children's Hospital. All the docs told my parents was I might live to see 40. That was in 1962. Now I'm 52, and still going strong. Well, semi-strong!

If you believe in your heart it all will be well, or, at least better, Then I believe it will. Trust your heart. The docs don't really know everything.

I wish, and will pray for the best. Please, keep us posted.
    "Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bullshit attached. Music survives everything, and like God it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will." Eric Clapton

mateo42, your wife got very lucky. And when I say very lucky, I mean very very lucky. But you have to watch out for what you tell people. It's hard enough for some people to accept what's going on but you really have to be careful not to get their hopes up because praying and thinking you're going to get better in the first couple of weeks can lead to severe disappointment.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

You sound like such a good, positive thinking man. I look forward to more posts from you, and can't wait to meet the wife.

Wow! Matt, where were you in my first 120 days of injury? Seriously, you have a great outlook and that will be very helpful in the coming days. Good luck. I hope your wife continues to experience return.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.