Thread: Information-SPC-requested

Information-SPC-requested

Hi,
    Which is the best to have, a free flowing SPC or a SPC with a valve on drainage that can be closed and opened intermittently preventing bladder from shrinking? Please state the pros and cons.
    Should I continue to take anticholenergic drugs even if I have a free flowing SPC?
    I have run out of all other bladder management options. Before I go to doctor asking for a SPC, I would like to equip myself with knowledge about both type of SPCs. Please advise.
    Ammu.

It is not safe to clamp off either a urethral or a suprapubic catheter. Because these are foreign bodies inside the bladder, you are much more likely to be colonized with more and larger numbers of bacteria in your urine than someone who does intermittent cath or uses only external catheters. Clamping off the catheter significantly increses the risk of reflux of urine from the bladder to the kidneys. This can make bacteria travel to the kidney, and can cause bladder damage through hydrostatic pressure (a condition called hydronephrosis). If you are subject to autonomic dysreflexia, it can definately cause AD too.

Anticholenergic drugs are often recommended with indwelling catheters (either urethral or SP) as they reduce bladder shrinkage, reduce bladder spasms that can cause leakage, and also reduce the risk of reflux of contaminated urine up to the kidney.

What other options have your tired for bladder management?

(KLD)