Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it better to have a Tramatic Brain Injury when you suffer a SCI?

Is it better to have a Tramatic Brain Injury when you suffer a SCI?

I downloaded Christopher Reeves audio book from iTunes. Christopher Reeve says that his doctors said it better to suffer a TBI when suffering a SCI cause when your brain is healing so is your spinal cord. Is this true cause I suffer a TBI with my SCI in July of 02? I was lucky to walk 6 months after my injury. Couls this be the reason why I walked? I was a C-5,6 fused with C-4 SCI
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Quote Originally Posted by mj23
    I downloaded Christopher Reeves audio book from iTunes. Christopher Reeve says that his doctors said it better to suffer a TBI when suffering a SCI cause when your brain is healing so is your spinal cord. Is this true cause I suffer a TBI with my SCI in July of 02? I was lucky to walk 6 months after my injury. Couls this be the reason why I walked? I was a C-5,6 fused with C-4 SCI
    mj23, of course it is not "better" to have a head injury. Many people do recover from head injury and a head injury may make a incomplete spinal cord injury seem "complete". Therefore, a person who had a head injury and a spinal cord injury may have an incomplete spinal cord injury and recover better than a person who has a "complete" spinal cord injury. The fact remains is that you probably had an incomplete spinal cord injury. If you did not have a head injury, you probably would have recovered earlier and better than you did. So, it is not better to have had a head injury.

Wise.

I do not think so...like Wise said...if you have a complete spinal cord injury and a TBI...you may be worse off. That was the case for my boyfriend. He has a T-7 complete spinal cord injury and a TBI. He was in a coma for about 4 months and in rehab hospitals for over a year. He now has memory issues and sometimes fatigue and temperment issues along with being in a chair. He rather only have the spinal cord injury because then he could remember things that were important to him before his injury.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

ya i figured that im just saying what christopher reeve said.

Only problem with me is that sometiems my short term meomory is a lil bad but that just happens when i dont get enough sleep. I mean I have never forgotten who i am or where im at or where Im going.
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

I would not think that two injuries would be better that one anytime. Seems like something someone with a brain problem would come up with.

Given the choice, I always choose no brain injury. Sounds like you caught a lucky break, and hallelujah for that!

Quote Originally Posted by porchdog
    I would not think that two injuries would be better that one anytime. Seems like something someone with a brain problem would come up with.
    Thats funny lol

I'm not sure but I'll get back to you next week after Christmas after the surgeons have removed the frying pan that will be imbedded my head......you see I got my old lady a shovel for Christmas (and other things).

heres an article where DR. Mcdonald talks about having a brain injury and sci. its where it says man or mircle, second paragraph

http://rx.magazine.tripod.com/rl_20001018.htm

mj23 that's really interesting, it would be great to know if there is more information on that. We are definitely complex beings.
    "We're one but we're not the same. We get to carry each other" U2