Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The multi-layered tragedy - opinions wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity
    If the situation was reversed, I doubt if White would have been found guilty.
    What do you mean by "If the situation was reversed"? Could you please clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by ala
    What do you mean by "If the situation was reversed"? Could you please clarify?
    She means had a white teenager killed a black adult male, the sympathy would have easily gone to the white teenager because people would have assumed he was frightened. Youth and race would have been on his side.

dunno story, but whoever said race wasn't a factor must not live in real life. jmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth29
    I was threatened with harm and the police said they couldn't do anything about it until the person actually did something. The police said they couldn't intervene or pursue the individual on the presumption he was going to follow through on his threat to me. That you can't arrest someone because they MIGHT do something.

My lawyer also said due to a few things specific to the "event" he also could not pursue the person under a civil case and that physical harm to my person or property had to happen for criminal pursuit.
    Beth,

Threatening physical harm is a crime in almost every common law jurisdiction - it's the textbook definition of assault (most people confuse assault with the crime of battery).

However, prosecution of assault without battery is very difficult because you need proof beyond reasonable doubt in a scenario that is often "he said/she said". Further complicating things is that the assaulter will often claim the threat was made in the heat of passion and not a genuine threat, so that they lacked the necessary mens rea (mental element) for assault.

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    She means had a white teenager killed a black adult male, the sympathy would have easily gone to the white teenager because people would have assumed he was frightened. Youth and race would have been on his side.
    That's what I thought right from the beginning; event though, she hasn't said this. But I don't want to assume that she meant this without hearing her say it.

It sounds like there may be a lot of assuming going on here, from some people. I didn't see anything in the story that mentioned race as a reason or motivation. But I guess people need an easy answer and race is a popular one--and an emotional one. Wouldn't want anyone like that on a jury judging me.

Of all the oddest things to talk about on a Holiday with family, I did bring this topic up with my brother-in-law. Can't remember why. But I was shocked he feels that if it were reversed (a black boy shot by a white man) that he feels the white man would not have been charged. My brother-in-law and I do not get along or agree on many things and today he clearly admitted he is racist. (even spelled it out instead of saying the word) He is a captain with a suburban fire department, well versed in current affairs and a hunter and supporter of the NRA.

You'll be happy to know he rattled off r a c i s t without error. HA!

My brother-in-law is not the happiest person and my mother and I discussed what was said and how we feel about him (on the drive home). Mom thinks its one step towards working through his problems. Like an alcoholic's first step is to admit they're an alcoholic.

He's been this way for years, but it's the first time he's referred to himself this way. It's very hard to live with people in your own family that have such strong opposing views.

He did say he feels for Mr. White (the black man convicted).
    He doesn't think he intended to kill the boy.
    He also said he doesn't agree that things should be different if the roles were reversed only that he thinks it would be.

Sorry but I just felt the need to get that out.

Helps to get it out - hope you don't mind.

Beth,

I have people in my own family who tend to overlook the radical injustices African-Americans have endured for centuries here and carp on the small injustices suffered by Caucasians.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth29
    But I was shocked he feels that if it were reversed (a black boy shot by a white man) that he feels the white man would not have been charged.
    I'm afraid I agree with him. I've seen too much injustice of this type around me and I was born & raised in liberal California. WTF? Somehow I was spawned within a major conservative pocket of good ole boyz.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Don't know about the appropriateness of this here but the most independent, well-adjusted para I ever knew told an anecdote about when he'd teamed up with a traveling sales team composed of some three guys and a girl and they worked the South / deep South. This guy was one of the most honest people I've known; his association with the sales team ended when they moved on from one locatiion w/o informing him that he'd been elected to stay behind. Here is his tale that comes to bare:

He was still in the deep-South town he'd been left in and, while trying to scare up bus fare out - they forgot to pay what he was owed as well - he'd gotten to taking a late breakfast at a local cafe. The "sidewalks" were just raised wooden platforms. One morning as he was going down the street he saw a black man step up onto the sidewalk and proceed toward him. Abruptly, a white man appeared from a doorway, drew a big hogleg from a waist holster and shot the black man dead. My friend turned his wheelchair around and went back to his hotel w/o anything to break his fast with.

Dean is dead some nine years now although he was a few years younger than me. His diet was deficient in veggies and he eventually developed chronic skin problems and then kidney/urological problems and the combination killed him. His wife, a little butterball, is still around and we hail each other at the local Raleys from time to time.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by flicka
    I'm afraid I agree with him. I've seen too much injustice of this type around me and I was born & raised in liberal California. WTF? Somehow I was spawned within a major conservative pocket of good ole boyz.
    You live in the Placerville area as well?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane