Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do others experience this?

Do others experience this?

Last evening a good friend took me to dinner and then to a live theatre production as my holiday present. This was a very generous act on her part, and cost her well over a hundred dollars because the ticket alone was eighty. The show was great, the food was great......but......I ached during the whole evening, and thought of little beyond how much longer I had to last before I could lie down. My tilt chair had to be left at home because it doesn't do terribly well climbing the damn snowbanks, so I had no way to shift my weight. The food, while delicious, must have been fairly salty because I found myself craving water......huge glasses of ice filled water.....which I had to deny myself to be able to make it through the show. I sat there thinking about the fact that my back and shoulders were killing me, and that I would kill for a large drink, while the singing and dancing were taking place on stage. Can I just say that I hate this aspect of SCI? The fatigue by the time I got home was practically overwhelming, and if I had been in my tilt chair I might have just tried to nap some, but of course I had to transfer to something, so it might as well be bed at that point. I did down about a quart of cold water before bed, so at least my throat no longer felt so parched, but today I find I am sad that I couldn't enjoy it more than I did.

Couldn't enjoy it more than I did is the life of SCI.

Sorry to hear you couldn't enjoy yourself.

Sometimes being uncomfortable ruins things for me too. Its hard to concentrate. I worry on long drives in the car, sometimes on short drives too. What if I am distracted by the pain or discomfort?

if i'm in the slightest bit cold i get horrible pain in my neck and shoulders. it's ended up ruining quite a few events. If you can find a cause just be proactive and try to stop the pain (meds, heat pack, etc) before it's out of control. just be prepared.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

when I'm in my chair, I prefer to be "doing" something, rather than just sitting there.

Do I need to cath? My head itches! Time for a weight shift... It doesn't bother me as much when I'm moving...
    4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

Yeah, my butt kills when I sit like that. It helps to transfer out of my w/chair. I was on a Broadway trip w/ friends and go in such bad pain. Had to take meds. Slept through The Full Monty, and missed Rent, that trip. I got stubborn for Cabaret and Les Mis. Makes me sick I missed the 2 I did! OMG that exhaustion when you get home is incredibly painful to me, bodywide bone ache. Ugh.

Thanks everyone for letting me know that you experience this too, although I am sorry that you do. Ashley, the friend that I was with offered to take my jacket from me and put it on the back of her seat. I quickly said "NO" because I knew that a dark theatre would be the only place I could imagine draping it around my legs to try to keep them from turning into ice blocks! Never been big on the blanket on my lap thing.....pride, and all that. Betheny, I think that if I attempted a transfer to the theatre seat it would end up being more of a show for the audience than the actual show, in addition to needing a crane to get me back out of it Sorry that you missed your shows. Ala, I know what you mean about the pain distracting and then creating a certain amount of fear while driving. I got caught in a snowstorm last week (why, oh why did I come back from Ireland) and it took over two hours for a drive that normally takes 20 minutes. I was starting to fantasize about just pulling over and freezing to death because my shoulder's were finding driving that long totally unacceptable.

i hate to use blankets as well, eileen...i'm usually always wearing a scarf and/or heavy coat indoors- around the cold months i wear ted hose and leg warmers on under my pants to battle it. i hope you (we) can find some solutions!
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

These are things that us AB's just do not know and do not think about. I am sorry for your pain and how uncomfortable you were but this info helps people like me.

If I want to take my friend out I try to be very aware of how he is acting because he won't tell me he is uncomfortable until it's bad. I don't know if he doesn't want to bother me, or ruin the mood...I don't know.