Thread: Aquired Brain Injury V stem cell treatment.

Aquired Brain Injury V stem cell treatment.

We are hearing a lot of talk re:STEM CELL TREATMENT and spinal injuries. What I want to know is how many people out there are using the stemcell treatment and is it working!? AND hop accurate are the reports we are hearing!? For instance, the two reports on spinal treatment, a male and a female using stem cells on this site were almost identical! Suggesting the same person wrote them. The wording and phrases used , were repeated so often.They were NOT credible!
    So , I ask you folk , out there , Do you know of any friends or family who have had stem cell treatment on an aquired brain injury? AND , how successful was the treatment?
    Afterall, the treatment is about $30,000 and that aint money ANYONE can afford to throw away........
    Please let me know if you have any story to recount, eh?
    If you want to email me do so.... I'll give you any info I have....
    Nortswa@bigpond.com

I'm not aware of any stem cell cures for SCI or TBI.

Other stuff you hear consists of anecdotal reports and claims made by charlatains preying upon peoples desperation. Nothing credible, peer reviewed, peer replicated or FDA approved has emerged.

Nortswa,

There are basically four "stem cell" therapies that are being offered around the world. None of these have been shown to have beneficial effects in human brain or spinal cord injury although plenty of animal studies have reported potential benefit of various stem cell therapies on them. Let me review them briefly and their clinical trial status.

1. Embryonic stem cells. While many people are talking about human embryonic stem cells, I do not know of any clinical trial of these cells for any disease/condition to date.
      • Geeta Shroff in New Delhi claims to be treating patients with such cells but refuses to show any evidence that she has such cells and failed to provide any evidence that the treatments are successful. While there have been many news reports of possible treatment effects, I don't think that any of them are credible.
      • Geron in California is planning a clinical trial of human embryonic stem cells that have been differentiated into oligodendroglia precursor cells, i.e. cells that make oligodendroglial cells that are known to myelinate axons. This is based on the work of Hans Keirstead at UC Irvine and Geron is sponsoring the trial to test this in humans. This trial has not yet started.
      • Others. Many other groups claim to be using so called embyronic stem cells but none of these have such cells.
    2. Fetal stem cells. These are cells that are derived and grown from aborted fetuses. Such cells have been transplanted into the brain for decades, for Parkinson's diseawse or otheriwse. A company called Stem Cel Inc. is initiating a clinical trial of such cells for the treatment of Batten.
    3. Umbilical cord blood. There are of course cells obtained from umbilical cord blood that are HAL-matched to the recipient. Several places are offering these cells, including Beike technology in Shenzhen, several places in the Caribean, India, and Mexico.
    4. Bone marrow stem cells. These are autografts. Many animal studies have suggested that these might be useful for human brain injury. However, clinical trials have not yet been done.

I urge you to pay attention to clinical trial results and do not rush into something on the basis of anecdotal results from individuals.

[/list]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nortswa
    We are hearing a lot of talk re:STEM CELL TREATMENT and spinal injuries. What I want to know is how many people out there are using the stemcell treatment and is it working!? AND hop accurate are the reports we are hearing!? For instance, the two reports on spinal treatment, a male and a female using stem cells on this site were almost identical! Suggesting the same person wrote them. The wording and phrases used , were repeated so often.They were NOT credible!
    So , I ask you folk , out there , Do you know of any friends or family who have had stem cell treatment on an aquired brain injury? AND , how successful was the treatment?
    Afterall, the treatment is about $30,000 and that aint money ANYONE can afford to throw away........
    ffffPlease let me know if you have any story to recount, eh?
    If you want to email me do so.... I'll give you any info I have....
    Nortswa@bigpond.com