Thread: advice for me about friend

advice for me about friend

Hello all, I could really use some advice. A long time friend of mine was in a motorcycle accident in sept. He was in a comma for about 5 weeks and when he woke up he had no feeling or movement below the armpits. The doctors said there was no actual sc damage but that the broken back was the problem. Over the last couple of months things have improved. He now has feeling and control down to his waist. He just had surgery to rebuild his shoulder and will be in the hospital for the next 16 weeks to rehab from that before going to another facility to learn everything else. Now for the stupid question, is it possible that if he didn't damage his cord that he could continue to get better? I am a little worried because he has always been depressed. When I talked to him he seemed in great spirits and is looking to get back to work. We were hoping to get together this spring. I have a chance to visit him in the hospital after the first of the year, would this be a good idea? He challenged me to a chair race once he gets going. This is the first close person in this situation so I don't want to say or do the wrong thing. I appologize for the length of this but I figured more info is better than less. Please help with suggestions. Thanks

So you want to know if it's a good idea to visit your friend who was in an accident? Really?

I realize that sounds really stupid. He has seemed uncomfortable with the issue of me being in a chair, so I don't want him to feel worse. I'm unsure how to explain it. I moved to wisconsin and he moved out west so we haven't seen each other in a couple of years.

This story is not consistant with his impairments. If he has paralysis from a broken back, he has a spinal cord injury. I don't know what his physician actually said, but paralysis such as this does not come from a traumatic brain injury.

Where is he doing this shoulder rehab? Is he going to a real rehab center or a nursing home that provides therapy??? Is he then going to a spinal cord injury specialty rehab center? This is critical.

Obviously you should visit him ASAP and often. He needs every friend he can get at this point, and although you don't have a SCI yourself (your profile says you have MS) you can be a great assistance to him as well in learning the ropes of life with an disability like this.

It is too early to say if his injury and resulting impairment will continue to improve or not. Only time will tell. I hope he had decent surgical stabilization of his spinal injury, and that he has been evaluated by a physiatrist already.

(KLD)

He is at S Davis Community hospital in salt lake city. Once his shoulder is rehabed he is suposed to go back to the U. of Utah for the remander of his rehab. I will start planning a trip out there after the 1st of the year, I can only afford a long weekend, unfortunately. He has never seen me in my chair because I've only had it 6mo.

jbk,

The common ground we all share is that we face challenges. Your friend knows you have MS and now use a wheelchair. He might be inspired by you visiting all the way from Wisconsin, despite the challenges. (At the very least, it's an impressive gesture of friendship, in my opinion.) Your friend may or may not have additional functional recovery, but seeing how you have adapted to using a chair, might help him "mentally accept" it if he doesn't recover further. I hope that makes sense.

Best of luck and God bless!

- Bill :-)
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Checkout the below CareCure thread about a new way to bowl!
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=87066