Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forearm Crutches vs Armpit Crutches

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    I've heard armpit crutches will eventually take a major toll on your elbows. They give you bad posture, and are more literally "crutches" than the forearm version, which force you to stand on your own when not in motion.

I remember it being so awkward, learning to use the forearm ones. Keep working, as your core gets stronger it gets much easier. Eventually I was walking with only one. Like all things SCI, it's a steep learning curve. Trust me, it will get easier.
    I don't see where the elbow toll comes into using underarm crutches. That's a new one to me.
    And bad posture is bad posture no matter how you motate.

Actually with proper height adjustments and placement of the underarm crutch it doesn't even go directly into your armpit unless of course you are using your hands off the crutch.

New users jam the top into their armpits and then lean over to keep attached to it. That is the problem with being new to them. They do require arm strength and some trunk strength to use them properly and successfully in most any situation you encounter.

For everyday walking the forearm crutches are sufficient..but they don't do well in climbing dirt hills or steep steps and a whole lotta other stuff.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Errr, I meant shoulders. Sorry, it's a zoo in my house today. Can't you read what I mean, and not what I say??

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Errr, I meant shoulders. Sorry, it's a zoo in my house today. Can't you read what I mean, and not what I say??
    I thought there was something new I didn't know about. LOL. Shoulders will get wear and tear with any walking aid unless your legs are strong. Even a chair will wear out a perfectly good set of shoulders. BUT with long term crutch use you develope muscles that will rival most any body builder in your entire arm. Which if done properly the entire arm shares in the task.

I am using my axial crutches today. And hope to use them for many more tomorrows.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.