Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: I'm really nervous about getting a bladder augmentation

I had a bladder augmentation in March 2006. My doctor had wanted to do it a year before that, but I kept holding off hoping I would get return there. Now I wish I had done it before!!! I was having to cath about every 30 min to an hour before and now I can go up to 6 hours without cathing!!!

I'm not going to lie - the surgery was rough. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks. I kept vomiting every time they let me eat solids, so I would have to go back to just fluids. The surgery did really sap my strength, too. By the end of the second week I was still using my wheelchair instead of walking with a cane like I normally do. The third week in the hospital was PT. I'm still not as strong now as I was before the surgery, but I didn't do any outpatient PT after the surgery. I would definitely recommend doing PT afterwards!!!!

I had someone stay with me for the first 2 weeks after I got home. I was very sore and still had 2 drains in. The drains were a pain in the butt andI ended up stepping on one and puulin it out, but luckily it was the night before my appt to have them taken out. I was off work for a total of 3 months.

I had to irriagate my bladder every day for the first few months to get the mucuous out, but now it just comes out through the catheter. I never irriagate it and I don't notice that my urine is normally cloudy. About once every 2 weeks or so I get a lot of mucous through the catheter. It does kind of stop up the bladder, so I know if my bladder feels full and I only get a little urine out I need to keep the catheter in for a minute until the mucous comes out. Then the urine will start coming out again. It's really not an inconvenience - especially not compared to wearing diapers or rushing to the bathroom every half hour or so!!

The surgery is definitely worth it and the only things I would change would be doing it SOONER than I did and having physical therapy after the surgery. It has GREATLY improved my quality of life and my self esteem.

Good luck with your surgery. I hope everything works out as well for you as it has for me!
    Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
    Aug '03

GOODLUCK MIMIN!!!!!!! I wish you a sppedy recovery and hope you get the results you are after.

I am so glad I had mine. Much better to be able to hold up to 500-600 if I needed to, rather than maybe every 200.

Mimi, I'm worried about mine whenever I actually do go ahead w/ it. Itis an awful long time to be in the hospital and I so worry about bowel accidents/troubles afterwards.I think it's such a big leap towards independence though that we have to give it a try. I wish you so much luck girlie. Keep us posted!

hey,
    sorry it's taken so long for me to respond; things are a little hectic.
    the operation is scheduled for January 20, and I feel a whole lot more calm after reading your input.
    Thank you especially to Cara for your detailed message.
    I'll keep you updated as things progress.
    Mimi

Allow yourself for a set back. For some time, it will almost feel like....why the hell did I do that. If you have a good urologist/surgeon, the rewards will come once everything heals.

I never have regretted mine
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

Mimi underwent a 14-hour operation on Sunday. As her doctor says, So far so good. However, she wishes some of you would have told her more about the pain following the operation.

give her our love Mom!

Sounds grueling, ProudMom, give her our best. I hope the pain subsides soon!