Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: I'm really nervous about getting a bladder augmentation

Not What I Expected!!

I went to the hospital on Monday morning to learn how to use my new mitrofanoff stoma. I ended up staying there until Thursday afternoon.

They didn't take out the sp catheter, they just plugged it up. The doctor said he would take it out in a month. Is that normal? Anyways it keeps leaking around the plug so I decided to tape a panty liner around the opening.

Meanwhile, there's no way that I can cath by myself. The stoma is so low; I can't pull down my pants on my own. I can't manage to put the lubricating gel on the catheter and my grip is so bad that half the time, I can't stick it in far enough. I think I just overestimated my capabilities to begin with.

I'm using size 10 catheters as per doctor's orders and the whole process takes about 20 minutes. Will I eventually be able to use bigger catheters?

In any case, it is what it is, what's done is done. I'm sure with time, the whole thing will get easier.

What about those Lofric pre lubed caths? (Jessie posted about them in post #9 of this thread actually .....) Would they help? And some sort of catheter holder?

Sorry to hear the stoma is too low. They make a hook thing for guys to keep their pants out of the way. Would this work for you if you wore stretchy yoga type pants?

http://www.sammonspreston.com/Supply...p?Leaf_Id=2031
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Oh Mimi I'm sorry you're struggling. Hopefully with practice it will get easier. It's still better than having to lay down and undress though isn't it i got lucky as my stoma is in my belly button, but the appendix needed some help though from the cecum, as it wasn't quite long enough. I think my doc will be having me use 12fr caths, and I'm thinking that the self lube caths will be much easier/quicker to use although so much pricier.

eta Mimi what about cali's trick of replacing zippers and buttons on pants with velcro?
    Last edited by leschinsky; 03-04-2008 at 09:44 PM.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

mitrofanoff

Quote Originally Posted by november
    I had an augmentation and mitrofanoff in 2005. I have no issues with leaking and less uti's. No longer need bladder spasticity meds either. Cosmetically it isn't an issue, the whole area is smaller than a dime and I can now cath anywhere. Before I was having to lie down to cath so my social life was affected and I could only work part time. Now I go to school full time and do whatever I want! Hope this helps.
    c6c7 incomp
    female
    25y/o
    i am having a hard time recovering from my mitro/augment.........im having bowel accidents and never had that problem before. will this clear up?

Quote Originally Posted by coolquadchic
    i am having a hard time recovering from my mitro/augment.........im having bowel accidents and never had that problem before. will this clear up?
    Everyone is different, but I had no issues with it longterm. I know for a short time after my digestive tract seemed irritated, but a lot was probably do to not eating for a week and then just being on a liquid diet for awhile afterwards (think apple juice). Also was consuming a lot of the protein shakes full of fruits and protein powder while not eating much solid foods.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by coolquadchic
    how long ago was your operation? What do you do for a bowel program and how long after the operation did you get back to your schedule?

I restarted my BP (using suppositories three times a week) about two weeks after the operation after I had already started eating regularly. One week went okay, the next, I had a couple accidents but since then, I'm back on track (knock on wood)

Quote Originally Posted by november
    I should have been admitted the day before and did the go-lightly fun times at the hospital. I basically spent the day before my surgery on the fucking toilet and also puking. Seriously, I started drinking the gallon at around noon and it wasn't through going through me still the next morning around 6 or so when I was going in for surgery. It made me gag and killed my stomach too. I literally was dry heaving every 15min for the entire time.

On top of being so tired (no sleep from holding a bucket gagging every 15min) my blood pressure was so low from lack of water and my blood presssure medication I was passing out. So I could not sit up, leaned over in my chair. I had some medical paratransit van come get me since it was such an early procedure. Because I could not sit up I wouldn't put the shoulder/seatbelt on just had my chair strapped down. I had some satin pj pants on. We reached a stoplight going downhill...me leaning over, satin pants, no seatbelt...I flew out of my chair into the front seat console. I scared the crap out of the driver and my mom. I could have cared less I was so sick! Thinking back, I could have went through the windshield or something. Finally we get to the hospital and I make them bring a stretcher to the van to get me. I had to go to the bathroom, was puking, passing out, and just flew out of my chair.

Ha, the point...the prep was hell! Maybe rethink trying to do it alone.
    I agree with you on that! I had to drink that GoLitely stuff before my mitrofanoff surgery back in May 2006. All I know is camping with relatives for Memorial Day Weekend and the bowel prep don't mix. After getting kicked out of the public restroom by a campground custodian while I was still crapping, I had to sit in the 5th. wheel for the rest of the day, playing a video game while on the john. My grandparents were having dinner later on and the smell of spareribs and fried potatoes made my mouth water while I was sitting on the john. The stuff didn't make me ill, but I wound up with the worst case of painful hemerrohoids because of crapping so much. I had to keep an ice pack on my butt during the car ride to Tacoma the next morning. When I finally stoped going to the bathroom every 30 seconds, I just put a diaper back on and went to sleep on the couch in the trailer. I didn't get much sleep, due to being nervous and having to go to the bathroom off and on. I also was pretty lightheaded/nauseated from not having any fluids or food in me (I don't know how many times I took a homeopathic remedy for nausea during the night). I figured that I'd get enough sleep once they knocked me out to do the surgery, so I wasn't worried.
    Now, when I had a colonoscopy done in early 2007, I did get sick from the GoLitely prep to where I eventually called the doctor and he had me go to the hospital to have it administered through an NG tube, so I'd stop throwing up. I think it all depends on what kind of prep they give you (the kind I got for my colonoscopy was flavored, whereas the other kind was not).
    Fortunately, I don't have to use that bowel prep if I have future abdominal surgeries, due to the fact that I have no colon anymore and have an ileostomy (you can get severe dehydration if you use bowel preps and have an ileostomy).

Jessie

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi
    mimin - I had my surgery done at the Mayo Clinic (4 hours from where I live) and Sue, my doc's nurse warned me about the NG tube and she said that I would be begging to have that thing out, but they require it to stay in for 7-10 days at least if not more to keep the stomach clear. Since I had a couple of days getting used to if fully conscious I didn't fight it when I came out of the surgery. I did not complain about it being in me once nor did I ask to have it removed before it was time. I'm as stubborn as they come and since it was my choosing to have this surgery I didn't think I should complain. Due to my Lupus they thought I would be more of a risk and probably need to stay the full 2 weeks. Surgery took 6 hours and everything went smoothly. I went home on the 10th day.

I probably didn't complain about the tube too much because they had me on a Fentanyl pump, valium injections (couldn't take Baclofen or any meds orally), and Ambien at night. I was high as a kite. I got to take my first sip of water on the 8th day and eat some ice chips, popcicles, and sherbert that night after they took out the NG tube. You should have seen the look on my cousins faces when I told them I hadn't eaten in over a week. They thought the hospital was starving me on purpose. They were tickled pink when they were able to bring me Cold Stone Ice Cream for a treat. Then they had to make sure I finished it.

leschinsky - my stoma is in/near my belly button. I find that the best possible place. You just unbutton your pants, zip them down a bit and very easy access to cath. It's nice to be able to pee just about anywhere you well please.
    I didn't have an NG tube in for my mitrofanoff surgery in 2006, but I did have one put in after my colectomy in January, because I couldn't stop throwing up, and they decided to put one in to give my stomach a rest. They put it in me while I was still awake, and it was scarry (the only time I had one put in was before my colonoscopy for the bowel prep and I was sedated). The tech just told me to swallow a lot once I felt a small tickle in the back of my throat. Well, I did that, but it still felt like someone was choking me and that I had something in my throat I needed to cough up. The tech and others in the room kept telling me that I was doing a good job and that I was one of the few that doesn't gag on the tube, but I could care less. Once it was in, I felt fine and slept for several hours. When I woke up, I did complain of my throat feeling funny while the tube was in and I kept swallowing a lot (reflex because of the feeling of something in my throat constantly).

Jessie

Quote Originally Posted by mimin
    Man, Kristi, I wish I had that kind of willpower!I kept on moaning and groaning about what a mistake I made in choosing to do the surgery! Still waiting to reap the benefits...
    I know that feeling of regreting a surgery that has been done. The day after my colectomy, I was in so much pain that I asked the doctor if he would just put my colon back in me, so my belly would stop hurting and I didn't feel sick (it turns out that the epidural line had fallen out, so that's why I was in so much pain). I even told the doctor that I'd give him a thousand dollars if he would put that colon back in. I laugh about saying that now, but at the time, I wasn't in the mood to laugh.

Jessie