Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Methadone Restriction Question

New Methadone Restriction Question

As of the 1st of january pain doctors will not be able to perscribe methadone 40mg wafers anymore.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pu...e_advisory.htm

Hi, I am currently perscribed to 4 - 40mg methadone wafers a day which is 160mg's a day. I get this medication for treatment of severe chronic pain. This has been a miracle medication for me and has given me my life back.

I have a question and did some reasearch and couldnt find an answer to. I know 40's are being taken off the market. The 10's will still be available. Will I be able to get 12 - 10mg methadone's a day, which would be a perscription for 360 a month or is there a law or somethingsaying you can only get so many a month?

Ive been trying to find presctiption limitations as far as how many of a medication a doctor can perscribe a month or is it unlimited and the doctor can write it for whatever as long as its justified?

Please Help, Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by PainsMyName
    As of the 1st of january pain doctors will not be able to perscribe methadone 40mg wafers anymore.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pu...e_advisory.htm

Hi, I am currently perscribed to 4 - 40mg methadone wafers a day which is 160mg's a day. I get this medication for treatment of severe chronic pain. This has been a miracle medication for me and has given me my life back.

I have a question and did some reasearch and couldnt find an answer to. I know 40's are being taken off the market. The 10's will still be available. Will I be able to get 12 - 10mg methadone's a day, which would be a perscription for 360 a month or is there a law or somethingsaying you can only get so many a month?

Ive been trying to find presctiption limitations as far as how many of a medication a doctor can perscribe a month or is it unlimited and the doctor can write it for whatever as long as its justified?

Please Help, Shawn
    I am sorry but I don't know the answer to your question. Wise.

I expect that you would still be able to get the 10 mg dose by the way it reads. I imagine the reason they took the 40 off the market and restricted it is because of the potential for overdose. See the one sentence in bold type. Adverse events they say. You would probably have to talk with your doctor about it, and the pharmacy which would supply you. They might have to dole it out in two batches to you. Truely an inconvenience.

As of January 1, 2008, manufacturers of methadone hydrochloride tablets 40 mg (dispersible) have voluntarily agreed to restrict distribution of this formulation to only those facilities authorized for detoxification and maintenance treatment of opioid addiction, and hospitals. Manufacturers will instruct their wholesale distributors to discontinue supplying this formulation to any facility not meeting the above criteria.
    Methadone is a long-lasting opioid medication used in the treatment of pain and narcotic addiction. The 5mg and 10 mg formulations indicated for the treatment of pain will continue to be available to all authorized registrants, including retail pharmacies. The 40 mg methadone formulation is indicated for the detoxification and maintenance treatment of opioid addiction. The 40 mg strength is not FDA approved for use in the management of pain. Thus, the distribution and availability of the 40 mg formulationwill be limited to registrants in only those settings using the 40 mg formulation for the appropriate indication.
    The DEA and pharmaceutical industry agree that the reported increase in methadone-related adverse events merits action and further agree to a united effort to assure that methadone is properly distributed, consistent with its approved uses. Industry and the federal entities involved commit to monitor the progress of this initiative.

it is common to get 120 a month of many pain meds fpr pain patients.
    hopefully it is just the worry of overdose,
    cauda equina

OK, so the doctor will be able to give me 12 - 10mg methadone a day? hats 360 pills a month, that seems like alot but its actually 40mg less then my normal a day. Just 360 seems like alot and I just wanted to know if there are restrictions to writing perscriptions for that many pills.

Thanx,
    Shawn

i hope not, bu ti guess you willf ind out within the month
    cauda equina

What's wafers?

Thought about taking the oral liquid? I used to take it and its good pain killing material.

You in the US or UK?
    C-5 incomplete , walking with crutches. In controlled pain. Respect to all SCI people.

Update!!!

UPDATE!!!!

Well I went in to the doctor and almost cried! I have been on methadone 40mg 4x daily for 2+ years now. That is equilivlant to 160mg a day. This was a perfect dose for me! It really helped my pain an allowed me to manage my pain with my life. I was able to finally start working again thanx to this medication.
    Well the 40mg methadone wafers were taken off the market on the 1st but the 5 and 10mg tablets were still avaiable for pain management. So I figured that I would get 12-16 methadone 10mg tablets a day which would be the same dose I was taking with the methadone 40mg wafers.
    WRONG! At first the doctor was only going to give me 4 methadone 10mg a day! I flipped out, he would be cutting 120mg a day in one MONTH! Methadone is a drug that needs to be tapered slowly. I eventually got him to give me 8 methadone 10mg tablets a day which is still HALF of what I have been getting for 2+ years.
    I am in so so so much pain that I can't even work. I lost my job and am now bed/coach ridden again. WHAT DO I DO? I am thinking about maybe looking for a new doctor. Any advice would be helpful at this moment. I would have posted what happened earlier but I've been in so much pain I dont even want to go on the internet.

Shawn

I am so sorry to hear about this Shawn. I sincerely hope you can find a solution. I can't stand it when politicians and bureaucrats dabble at practicing medicine like this, pressuring and restricting doctors. I have to wonder what in the heck your doctor was thinking to even consider dropping you to 1/4 of the dose you'd been taking all along, that's just insane. Feel free to rant here whenever you need.

Perhaps at the very least you can look into other meds you can take along with the methadone? If you read here, it's pretty common to have to use more than one med to fight this level of pain.

Shawn, what's the source of your pain? Are you SCI? There's nothing in your profile to tell.
    - Richard