Thread: question for nurse

question for nurse

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I just had a couple of questions to see if any of you have dealt with this before. I had surgery May 5 2007 on my back. It was a fusion done to my L5-S1. Simple procedure with one plate and three screws. Let me add that before my surgery I have had sciotic pain in my right leg for years. Anyways after the surgery the doctor told me that he had nicked my dura. He said best rest for 2 days and it should heal. So after 5 days in the hospital, I finally got to go home. I had major headaches for days. I called the doctor and told him. He said it should go away. I also had pain in my left leg that I never had before. After 4 weeks I still had the same issues. So I went to another doctor for a second opinon. He took the normal X-rays and MRI's and saw that 2 of the screws were to long and went through the bone. He said the time would be now to fix it because of scar tissue. So another surgery I went into. After that one I no longer had the headaches but still had pain in the right leg and major pain down the left. He wanted me to get an MRI again about 3 weeks after this surgery. He saw that I had a dural tear and it actually made a fluid pocket in my back. I have been to see him many times now and he does not know why it's still there. He said it should have absorbed back into my body now. As far as he knows the leak stopped but the fluid build up is still there. The weird thing is when I rub or poke myself in the area of the surgery, it sends a joilt down both of my legs. It's been over 6 months now and still the same. Fluid is still there and the pain is BAD down both legs. He doesn't know what to do except maybe another surgery but can't gaurantee that the tear (is still there) would heal.
    Sorry about the long post but I've been to many doctors and pain care doctors and know really knows what or why it's still there. Any info from anyone that has had or heard of this would be great. Thanks Terry

dunno if its the same but. i had a baclofen pump that got infected with staph where the catheter went into my back. i've had back pain in that spot and my right thigh and leg that's getting progressively worse. i haven't had an mri but saw an orthu doc that took xrays and said all he could figure is that it was a muscle or something.

anyhow....i have noticed if somebody rubs or pushes on that spot it sends a jolt down my right leg and makes it all start hurting worse. hopefully someone else has some ideas.

Ya it's kinda hard to explain but the pain sometimes is unbearable. I hope someone out there knows what I'm going through or what it is. Thanks for the comment. Terry