Thread: Pressure Sore

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pressure Sore

I have a pressure sore above my right ankle. My DR has been trying to heal it for 5 months. He says it looks fine, but I am concerned because you can see the muscle. I have been instructed to put daykins solution on it daily. I am not taking any antibiotics. As summer approaches, I am concerned it may become infected. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to heal this. I have been very careful to make sure there is very little pressure put on this spot and spend as much time in bed as possible.

Why are you in bed if its ur ankle? Had one on my heel that seemed to take forever, poor circulation and swelling doesn't help.

Keeping the pressure off, as well as avoid rubbing, should do it

Get to a wound care center! The average Dr is not up to date on the technology and methods for wound care.

Dakins solution should only be use if you have purulent (pus) type drainage. It inhibits healing as it can be toxic to fibroblasts, which are the cells that grow scar tissue and fill in a pressure ulcer. If you have no pus, then you should switch to moist dressings with normal saline instead. Keep the area moist, but not wet. Use vasoline on your normal skin around the wound to prevent maceration. This should be just temporary until you can get more appropriate (and up to date) care.

I agree though...most physicians know nothing about the treatment of pressure ulcers. Get to a wound care center, or see a CWOCN (formerly called an ET nurse) who has special training in wound care. Most home health agencies and hospitals either employ a CWOCN or will contract for their services.

Keeping it elevated will help some, but mostly you have to keep ALL pressure off it. What do you use in bed to prevent pressure? Are you sure you don't have osteomyelitis in the bone (easy to get in foot pressure ulcers)? Are you taking a multivitamin, zinc, and lots of dietary protein? Are you diabetic? Do you smoke? Both will inhibit healing significantly.

Get a copy of this booklet from the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine and review it:

Pressure Ulcers: What You Should Know

(KLD)