Thread: How did C5-6completes improve your Balance?

How did C5-6completes improve your Balance?

What exercises, methods or machines helped you? I have some theraband, which I know chick recommended for that purpose.

btw I've been looking for an uppertone since you all recommend it highy and have found a used one, all I can afford now. It's 4-5 years old not used much, works perfectly and I'm curious what you guys think it should be worth? pic is below
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Hi leschinsky, Can't really say what the machine is worth, but I wanted to share what I think hsa helped my balance and core.

I ride an old schwinn aredyne stationary bike at least a couple times a week. Most think it works the legs, but those in the know understand how it taxes the torso and core more! Anyway, After 3 years and 3 months, I have gone from feeling nothing to gaining back a lot of proprioception and feeling and reduction of spasms. But the best part is that muscle has filled in (daily) and I am setting records every day at spinning without using my arms!

It is sooo encouraging feeling new things every day that daily excercise is certainly part of my day. I recently got a walker in my office at work and stand in my cube. You should see the looks on the faces of collegues who didn't know me before my accident 4.5+ yrs ago. They had no idea I was 6'2" and looked over the cubicles!

Some of these guys say how inspired they get when they see me standing. I'm not trying to inspire folks, but that's out of my control. I usually don't type this much but I'm using this new wireless keyboard!

Pat

Thanks pat for your verbosity I've looked at the table top cyclers like the Colorado and can't believe they're so expensive hopefully they're worth it.

For me is just the time and practice. My balance still isn't perfect but it's pretty good. It was a long time before I could get in a chair with no armrests and I'm not sure that I recommend it to many people. Plus a little pump helps. Good luck with your quest on that, I'm sure we'll get it figured out.

C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Ry that's 2" of dump in your chair? and what degree do you have your backrest angle adjusted at? Thanks

Oops, wrong picture. That's from when I had a lot of dump in my chair. When I had that much dump, I had a lot more power and maneuverability but there was a lot more pressure on my sacrum (which eventually broke down to a very severe sore). The following picture has only 2 inches of dump and it, but I'm not exactly sure the rear seat angle because it is infinitely adjustable, although it does lean back what I would think is somewhere between 5° and 10°.

Here is a new one
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.