Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Friends family or money?

If I were in your shoes, I think would definitely go for Google/Microsoft. Head out to a new part of the country and if you don't like it, you can always come back east. Good luck to ya!
    Live Every Day Like It's Your Last!

C3-C4 and T12-L1 since July 1988

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee
    What do you suggest?
    Google.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Move on Cory. You can always go back home. You are too young to settle for a boring job with no raise. You will make friends easy. You just have that kind of personality. The money is not important to me either but I cant stand to be in a monotonous job that doesnt interest me.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Go for it cory you will do great.
    For every minute you're angry you lose a second of happiness

Cory,
    Go for the internships with Google or Microsoft. If you're accepted at both companies choose the one with new development rather than maintenance. For a full time position choose the one that will pay for your Phd or MBA after you've decided which degree you want.
    Good luck,
    Carl

If you're looking at the money aspect than compare salaries versus cost of living in each place.

Can you discuss where you want to be in 5 years with your IBM supervisors? Can you move to China where they are doing the higher tech PC stuff now?

Hell, I joined the army to travel so that is a biggy if you have the wanderlust bad.

Then again, I am both going back to school myself in January. A biggie now in my life is what family I have left and my friends.

Before you toss NASA you might ask to talk to them or say, the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory and Goddard. You'd be surprised at what they do in these places especially the APL. And are you security clearence material for any of your choices? Yup, they have government contracts too.....in development.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Very cool,

I'll look into that Sue!

I really need to get studying, from what I hear Google asks a ton of complex math problems and microsoft likes to put you on the spot to spit out code without writing it, fun fun!
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

If Google is the third best company to work for, what is the first and second best company to work for?

SAS was featured on 60 Minutes about three years ago, and the company is located in North Carolina. When I saw the segment I recall that the salaries were nothing to write home about, but the company has great employee benefits.

SAS may not be your cup of tea, but they are located in North Carolina.

If I had to pick between Google and Microsoft, I would choose Google.

Do your research on both companies, including their history because this knowledge may help during the interview. If it's going to be Microsoft, I would recommend that you read Show Stopper!
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so forgive me if I repeat. You have just finished a stint at IBM, so at this point in your life I think you should consider another place for your next one. One of the points of internships/ co-op is to experiment, to try out the work world while getting experience. The fact that you have "the job is easy" on your PROs list bother's me. If your internship is too easy, you aren;t learning anything. What is the point? And while money is an important factor, I would be telling you the same thing if IBM was the higher paying company. I think you should be looking at varied experiences, so you have a good idea as to what direction you want to go when you get out of school.

Now is the time to experiment. You don't have 3 kids to pack up and pull out of school. You don't have to worry about whether your wife can find a job in a new area, You don't have to worry about elderly parents needing you close. It is only for a few months, so being near family and friends doesn't need to be a consideration. I am sure you will make some friends out there. If not, worse case scenario, you work out and sit around your apartment and play video games, and post threads on CC about the really bad advice you got here.

And while often a final internship may turn into your first job, it doesn't have to. You could certainly apply back to IBM, or somewhere else entirely. My son just graduated from school last year, and had 3 co-op jobs. He hated his first, which taught him just as much about where he DIDN'T want to be. He enjoyed his next 2 jobs, and they were at very different companies. In the end he had a pretty good idea about the kind of place he would like to work.

Go for the change. You have learned a lot from IBM, but now is the time to expand you experience.

Good Luck!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Hi Cory,

Ahhh ... to be young again . Microsoft or Google would fantastic, but it doesn't have to be just those guys. There are plenty of places that do great work around them so don't just pin your plans on them. I'd vote for getting out of NC just because of the experience you can get somewhere else. I'm from Asheville, NC and went to school at UNC. I moved to Florida to work at NCR and my wife was working at NASA on the Space Shuttle at the time. It was around 1980 so PCs were just coming out. My wife and I were offered jobs to move to a new startup in CA called Sirius to create a new type of PC. It was great! We both learned so much. I was working in the guts of MSDOS and Windows (when it didn't even do overlapping windows ) my wife was working with embedded systems and the beginnings of Ethernet. I flew to Microsoft almost 2 times a month to discuss projects, bugs, partnerships, etc. That experienced helped lay the groundwork that's helped me start and run my own software consulting company in Atlanta since 1988. Don't let money or benefits be the determining factor for your decision (although they are important). Let the experience and contacts make the difference. You start with that and you can live anywhere you want .

~ David