Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Bragging on myself...

Way to go girl!!! I knew you could do it. I am happy for you...
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Michelle
    We love you and your other half being in Ohio! You are doing great things here, and with your cheery attitude you will achieve even more! Go girl Go Girl. Oh ya, and we have a LOT of fun!

CONGRATULATIONS Chelle, that is such an awsome thing....!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC
    'Chelle, I know what you mean about using your own crutches (and not having to adjust them). It's so good to hear that you've progressed this far and it's fantastic that your balance is improving- I think that's still my biggest problem. I should spend more time working on it. You're going to have to explain how you can pick up a drink with crutches - I still use my walker when it's time to eat!! Mike
    MikeC have you ever tried Pilates for balance? It works out your trunk "core" muscles in a way that no other thing I have tried does. After 3 months, it allowed me to go from a walker to one cane in physical therapy.

Unfortunately, I still need much more time to be able to use a cane for everyday activities.

Late in posting but that is so great Chelle! What a great Christmas gift .

Quote Originally Posted by agnes
    CONGRATULATIONS Chelle, that is such an awsome thing....!

MikeC have you ever tried Pilates for balance? It works out your trunk "core" muscles in a way that no other thing I have tried does. After 3 months, it allowed me to go from a walker to one cane in physical therapy.

Unfortunately, I still need much more time to be able to use a cane for everyday activities.
    really???? how often did you go??

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv
    Michelle
    We love you and your other half being in Ohio! You are doing great things here, and with your cheery attitude you will achieve even more! Go girl Go Girl. Oh ya, and we have a LOT of fun!
    LOL Betsy...put a pair of sisters together anywhere and ya know we're gonna cause trouble....hehehe....Thanks so much for the encouragement! I'm havin' fun too...send me the links/info on the shows you were talking about, Lisa hasn't shared 'em...lol...Have a good Christmas and I'll see ya when we get back after New Year's...don't party too hard w/out me....lol...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Thanks again to everyone else...I need to push myself even more and walk at "home" more than I do...I've gotten to where I'm reluctant to give up the security of knowing my chair is right there....That seems to be a psychological hurdle I've gotta conquor...Was fine for the night we went out, but knew it was not far away and someone could run & get it if I totally fell on my face..Not so easy to do if i'm out by myself somewhere or at home alone...Just gotta get myself past that point & I know it...I'm working on it little by little though...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

When I first started walking, I found if I at least made myself walk to the bathroom, and set a new goal each week, that helped tremendously. I eventually got to where I didn't use a chair at all in the house.
    Speaking of spills....I slipped and fell last night, and I landed on my left knee, HARD! Ouch! My son said he heard a crash and then my yelling and thought I fell taking the dog out to pee. I should be so lucky. I fell just walking from one room to another, and slipped. Now my knee is huge swollen, and I think I may have cracked my knee cap again.
    My point being....be careful even if you're just in the house!
    Live Every Day Like It's Your Last!

C3-C4 and T12-L1 since July 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Imight
    really???? how often did you go??
    Hi Imight, I went twice per week for about 6 months. It was modified Pilates, adapted for neurological impairment physiotherapy. We used balls and a machine called Reformer. I worked with two therapist simultaneously per session, it was pretty exhausting physically, and also in terms of the amount of work my brain had to do to learn new patterns of movement. It is not so focused on individual muscles so much, but works on how the whole body moves, mainly balance and alignment (alignment is really important). After a couple of months I noticed a marked improvement in my balance, it felt as if I was holding to an "extra cane".. It switched on when thinking about my lower abs and pelvic floor muscles. I fell on the floor much less when walking unassisted inside the home, could stand up for longer periods of time, and my dancing moves improved a lot (starting from non-existing) !! I also noticed that walking with a cane on uneven terrain (the garden) was not impossible anymore. We moved on to one cane walking during the sessions. It was very difficult.

I found the therapists at the University where I was going to, but I know there are many physiotherapists trained in Pilates. I certainly recommend it. I moved 3 months ago to another city, so I have yet to find a Pilates-trained therapist here!

Where the wind blows and the air is fresh in Nebraska

Broknwing

I know this thread is a couple of years old. Just curious Broknwing, are you still walking with your crutches and or braces?