Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Bonus Input

Christmas Bonus Input

Hi - This is our first Christmas since coming home from rehab so we don't quite know what to do about bonuses. We have three caregivers - One is M-F 7 to 7 (days) (19/hr); one is M-F 7 to 7(nights) (13/hr); one is weekends and fill-in (15/hr). They have been with us all year. We would very much appreciate input about how much to give our caregivers for Xmas bonus. Thanks!

Without knowing a lot more about you and your situation and location it is very hard to advise you. IMHO you pay very well. but if the cost of living is extreemly high where you live or if the SCI patient is a very high quad or on a vent how are we to know. Give more info here or on your public profile.
    Dave E. C6-7 Incomp. Quad 9-06

"NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR DREAMS!"
    "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER FOR THE INSIDE OF A MAN / WOMAN THAN THE OUTSIDE OF A HORSE"

i am giving 30.00 each they work 3 hrs a night and they don/t have a lot to do.plus our cost of living is not expensive in ga

Replying to Dave

Los Angeles - Cost of living very high. C5/C6 incomplete, not on vent anymore. Hoyer lift, bowel program, indwelling cath, feeding, grooming, transfers, shower chair, standing machine, tons of ROM, meds, hot and cold packs for constant pain, handicap van travel to/from rehab, note taking, phones, clean up, etc. Caregivers work their asses off. They are wonderful WONDERFUL. Client loves them so much. Thanks for replying.

I remember reading on MSN (last year) that if you employ someone you should give them a Holiday Bonus worth one weeks pay. Not so sure that I agree with that considering I work for a large corp and I get a Turkey for X-mas but that's what Miss Manners or someone on MSN had to say. I would say if they work hard, loyal, and you really like them $50-$100. Depending on how much you can actually afford.

I read the same article as Kap and thought the amount was excessive. Have you considered paying them for an additional shift, maybe the equivalat of a days work. That would still be a very generous bonus and would be equitable for each employee.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Keep in mind that this is your first year, and you will be setting a precident. A day's pay is good. A week's pay is even better! But can you afford to keep it up in years to come?

I've got three full timers, and one half timer. I'm a C-5 across the bay from San Francisco. I give them $50 a year, before the taxes get taken out, up to a cap. So, one has worked for me 10 years, but the cap is 400. One has worked four years, 300. Then the taxes get taken out.
    4/6/97, car accident, C5. http://raccoon-kathleen.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kap
    I remember reading on MSN (last year) that if you employ someone you should give them a Holiday Bonus worth one weeks pay.
    Yup, that's a going rate for small to medium size businesses. For a private employer only 2 or 3 employees it seems like a bit much. Nobody is guaranteed a bonus unless it's called out in an employment contract. It's a lovely gesture and any amount is better than nothing. I've worked for companies that gave everyone a turkey and for companies that gave all hourly employees a month's pay as a bonus. It's all good.

C.

I agree with Tiger. I was part of management in a company that went from five employees to over fifty.

A bonus is just that, a bonus. If an employer appreciates his/her employee/s and can afford it, most give a bonus to shiow that appreciation.

We tried to base them on work performance, attendance, and length of employment.

I'd try to keep it affordable and fair. If you can afford one day or a week, there's no reason why the amount needs to change unless you want it to. If you keep the same people for years, it's a nice thing for them to look forward to at Christmas, and in many homes, very needed.

God bless and Merry Christmas