Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking the dog for a walk?

Sometimes I put a belt on and hook the leash to it. Again, only if your dog is small or VERY controllable.

Get a prong (not "choke") collar and get someone else to work with him for a couple of days: put the collar on, and start walking. When the dog starts to pull, the person does an about face and the dog gets a sudden wake up and has to turn. A couple of times and the dog learns that leading = about face, walking nice = walking. Properly fitted, a prong collar does NOT hurt the dog, they don't choke and gag like the choker collar, and WILL stop the pulling. Once the dog learns the collar, you can control him easily. But, if you're still unsure, I would NEVER hook the dog to the chair, you need to be able to get away fast, you don't want to be face down in a neighbor's yard because the dog saw a squirrel.
    The next step, if you're interested, is to teach the difference in walk and pull and have the dog pull you using a harness (never his collar).
    Our Dobe was like a sled dog, now she walks calmly beside anyone. It can be done and doesn't take long. If you have good hand function, you can do it alonem if not you may need some help to be safe.
    BeeBee

I used a similar technique with the leash on the chair. I locked the retractable to a short distance. Just before my dog got to the end of his rope I would say no pull, heel. I wanted him to learn to stay close on the lead and not to pull. It worked fairly well. His bump at the end of the rope would pull the chair a little, I would slow the opposite wheel so that the momentum of the chair was tipped in. Then his bump would straighten the chairs turn. Easy! </IMG>

Gentle Leaders work much better than choke collars or prong collars to teach a dog not to pull and they don't harm the dog. They not only teach the dog not to pull but also if you have a dog that likes to walk with his nose down and eat food off the sidewalk it will help with that too.
    http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=17
    We have had good results with both our dogs and gentle leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexAgain
    Gentle Leaders work much better than choke collars or prong collars to teach a dog not to pull and they don't harm the dog. They not only teach the dog not to pull but also if you have a dog that likes to walk with his nose down and eat food off the sidewalk it will help with that too.
    http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=17
    We have had good results with both our dogs and gentle leaders.
    Yes, gentle leaders are very good training tools. It gives you control of the dog's head and where his head goes, the rest will follow. Also, the "following" exercise is an excellent technique. Not only does the dog learn to walk nicely on a leash, he learns to accept you as the pack leader in general.

Depends on the dog. My dog rubbed her face until it bled trying to get the GL off. No problems, ever, with the Prong. Also, if you pull on a dog w/ a GL, you will pull on his neck muscles and can damage their spine. They also can hamper panting, especially on short snouted dogs.
    BeeBee

Gentle Leader also makes a harness that is less distracting than the halter. I use a leash that I can hook around my waist like a belt.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Just make sure you don't use a retractable leash with a prong collar or gentle leader. That can cause serious injury to your dog.

I use a runners belt around my waist with a prng collar for our dogs. This leave my hands free to grab onto the wheels to stop, etc..I bought this because my chair has no where I can slip or hang a leash, it works great and allows me control of the wheelchair and the dog.

it's something similar to this :
    http://www.runnersgear.com/page/R/PROD/RDL-00

thank you ladykawakii that is kind of what i had in mind