View Poll Results: Ever had a tonsil stone/throat pearl?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I get them/have had them

26 31.33%
  • Nope

7 8.43%
  • Nope, I have no tonsils

9 10.84%
  • What in the heck is a tonsil stone???

41 49.40%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tonsil stones - WTH??? Don't click if you're eating

Tonsil stones - WTH??? Don't click if you're eating

I've happily lived for all these years never knowing what one of these things are. Spoke to my cousin last week who was going on about his 'throat peanuts' and it went right over my head. He's been getting them chronically for a few months and now wants a tonsillectomy because of they are getting so bad Eeek, I'm glad I said bye to my tonsils years ago in that case. Have any of you ever had them/heard of them?

A quick search on facebook pulled up this group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2339076339 so if you haven't heard of them I hereby introduce you to the phenomenon of the 'Throat pearl' Sorry in advance If you're not on FB, here's the jist

Have you ever had the feeling that there was something stuck in the back of your throat? Did that something dislodge only for you to find out it is a mysterious white nugget which has a horrific smell?
    Well my friend, you are not alone. You have experienced a whitey!
    other nicknames are:
    throat nuggets
    kucka balls
    throat pearls
    tonsil stones
    throat scabs

Wikipedia describes, A tonsillolith is a piece (or more commonly, a cluster) of calcareous matter which forms in the rear of the mouth, in the crevasses (called "crypts") of the palatine tonsils (which are what most people commonly refer to as simply tonsils).

Tonsil stones, it is theorized, are the result of a combination of any of the following:

food particles
    dead white blood cells (a.k.a. "leukocytes")
    oral bacteria, possibly from mouth breathing
    overactive salivary glands
    They are described as having a pungent odor: halitosis concentrated into a small solid object. Visually, they may resemble sesame seeds in color and texture.

Tonsilloliths tend to be present in young adolescents and can manifest with bad breath and swallowing pain accompanied by a foreign body sensation and – in some cases – reflex ear pain. The condition may also prove asymptomatic, with detection upon palpating a hard intratonsillar or submucosal mass.

A cotton swab dipped in hydrogen peroxide applied directly on the tonsil stones will not necessarily dislodge them - it may help some sufferers of tonsilloliths while others may experience only an unpleasant gagging sensation. The use of a water pick (irrigator) to clear out the crypts of accumulated debris may also help (the lower pressure tongue-cleaner attachment is recommended). While difficult to perform due to the gag reflex, a quick brushing with a toothbrush will generally remove any tonsilloliths. Another effective way to remove tonsil stones is by pressing your finger against the bottom of the tonsil and push upward. The pressure will squeeze any stones out from hiding. You can also try dislodging the tonsil rocks with a cotton bud or Q tip. This may be less irritating than a toothbrush. Some people can even reach around with their tongue, which is the best method as the tongue doesn't stimulate the gag reflex.

Prevention methods include gargling with salt water, cider vinegar, dissolvable paracetamol or a non-alcohol-, non-sugar-based mouth wash. Some alternative practitioners state that reducing the amount of white sugar or dairy in the diet will reduce the frequency of buildup. There are, however, no reliable data that support this theory

Cherry, @ first I thought-wtf?, but after reading the description I realized that I have had them!
    Wow, now I know what they're called. Yes, they're nasty and stink to high heavens!

I remember having them. Crazy, because I got the tonsils out at 9 (Thank God.)

okay, if that is what those nasty things are that I end up squeezing out of the sides of my throat are..never had my tonsels out but I find that when they get swollen and sore I end up with the nasties..though it was part of having a double cleft. I never said any thing to any one about them before

Nasty my son calls them throat buggers. We've had them but I never knew they had a name. I thought they were from our sinuses bc they usually happen around allergy time.

Well, I'll be...... learn something new everyday.

A whole new category of body grossness I had no idea existed (I had my tonsils out as a child). From a google search:

am i the only person who has smelled their tonsil stones? while hacking, the white ball of gunk shot into the palm of my hand. then, i crushed it between my fingers, and smelled them. it literally smells like fecal matter.
    Ewwwww!

Yeoucccch.... For the 55 percent of you that were in the dark about these little gems, apologies again

To those that have had them, do you get them often? My cousin is finding like 10 a week

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry
    Yeoucccch.... For the 55 percent of you that were in the dark about these little gems, apologies again
    Cherry, you'll never know how happy I was in my ignorance. Now......

I will.. never be the same...
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org