Thread: laptop use

laptop use

I'm thinking of getting a laptop to use when in bed. I type with sticks in splints. Is that method conducive to using a laptop (moving the pointer, etc.?)

Thanks,
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Alan, do you mean using one of those pads on the laptop to move the cursor - and not using a mouse?

If you do, I don't think the cursor will respond much to anything other than finger. It seems to recognize the warmth, I think.
    I've just tried some objects to move my cursor, and it won't respond.

Also, if using a laptop in bed (which I am at the moment), be sure not to have it directly on your lap. They get so hot. I've got mine on a tray right now - I don't want a burn.
    You probably realize this, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded.

It uses conductance. I use my knuckle for the mouse.

But like Keps says......... Do not rest it on your lap.... They're no longer called laptops... They're Notebooks.

Get a trackball and voice recognition. I use mine in bed all the time, but I have it on a rolling table that I can move out of the way when I'm done. I couldn't do it if I didn't have a trackball at least, and you can always use the on screen keyboard to type with using the trackball. I have a Logitech marble mouse trackball with the buttons reversed so all I have to do is tilt my right hand to click on the mouse. There's a function in accessibility options where you can set holding down the left mouse button by holding it down for a few seconds and it stays click on it until you click again so you can drag stuff. Good luck
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.