Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: please give uplifting thoughts for new SCI

please give uplifting thoughts for new SCI

i recently heard of a young man that was injured and broke his 5th vertebrae. since he has a breathing tube in, i'm assuming its his c-5. i do not know that for sure. it was said that hes 22-23 yrs old and in college. i'm going to send him a card b/c i know it meant a lot to me when i was in the hospital. i'm hoping that you guys would say a few things to encourage him and bring up his spirits. i'm going to print off everything and send it to him. i know it will mean a lot coming from people who have been there. when i was in the hospital, i felt alone, and i don't want him to feel that way. so please, just help me do this, it means a lot! thank you in advance!
    Last edited by marielea; 12-11-2007 at 07:04 AM.

I heard of your injury through a web site I frequent. I'm a 26 year old C2/3 quadriplegic living in Iowa. I've been unable to move below the neck or breathe on my own for nearly 23 years.

However, I've been swimming, fishing, horse back riding, and have gone up 50 foot towers. In that time I have also graduated from high school, college, returned to college, and started my own business.

You're going through a hard time and will have many to come. However, in time you will learn how to deal with your new body and be able to do many things. There are several people with similar injuries from around the world that have been let known of your injury and will be waiting to offer advice and knowledge.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Marielea, you know, you're a real paradox?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I have a C5-6 injury (incomplete) and I just got back from a scuba diving trip, my first since my injury 7 years ago. It was so great to be doing things I thought I'd never do again! What you are going through is one of the most difficult things in the world but hard work pays off. It will be months before you really know your situation and what you are capable of, that is something the docs forget to tell you. You're young and strong. Work hard in rehab, I promise you'll never regret it. Don't forget your education. It's the single most important factor in happiness after these injuries. And trust me, life goes on. It's hard but it's not horrible, and it is what you make of it! When you're ready, Carecure.org is a website for people with spinal cord injuries. Good luck! Betheny

Mariela-Killer idea you have here, supporting this guy. You are a sweetie, and really kind. Rock on.

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Marielea, you know, you're a real paradox?
    call me stupid, but i'm not exactly sure what you mean! lol. i just hope its not bad!!

Quote Originally Posted by marielea
    call me stupid, but i'm not exactly sure what you mean! lol. i just hope its not bad!!
    More like the opposite.

You are/were so devestated by being gimped you decided you'd never have a chance with the kind of hot guys you always attracted pre SCI, etc., etc., but here you go out of your way - and not just in this instance - to give support to others.

It's very nice but it seems inconsistent with someone soooo devestated. Maybe not.

Last edited by Juke_spin; 12-11-2007 at 03:27 AM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I heard that you were injured recently and wanted to send you my best wishes. You must live in an area that I've spent some time in. Somewhere in Nebraska? My husband spent most of his life in that state and we still have family and friends there. I've met some great people in that area and I'm sure that you will be supported and loved through the difficult days ahead of you. I hope that you recover fully, but if you don't, please try to believe that you still have good times in your future. Feel free to express all the anger and frustration that you are probably feeling now, but be willing and open to joy and laughter once you have adapted to your new normal. It's an ongoing process, and a long one, but it is possible to find happiness again.

BTW, if you're into cars, I know a lot of car guys in that area of the country who know a bit about hand controls and adaptive equipment. Let me know if you need a hook up.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    More like the opposite.

You are/were so devestated by being gimped you decided you'd never have a chance with the kind of hot guys you always attracted pre SCI, etc., etc., but here you go out of your way - and not just in this instance - to give support to others.

It's very nice but it seems inconsistent with someone soooo devestated. Maybe not.

maybe i will be alone for the rest of my life, and it does suck. but that doesn't mean everyone feels the same way i feel. and sometimes days are better than others. just b/c i'll be alone doesn't mean i can't do the things i love, like raising my dogs. it sucks to not be able to saddle my own horse, and i may never get over the loss. i don't want anyone to get down, and i'll do whatever i can to help them. i want people to turn out like so many of you strong ones on here, and i'd like to help them achieve that.

well I was going to send you a PM but I'll do it this way.
    what you are attempting is very nice of you, I would have enjoyed having someone do this for me when I was in the hospital. you are special.