Thread: SCI's and menstruation

SCI's and menstruation

I became a T8 complete para on Sept 2 of this year. At the time of my injury, I was on my period. Since that date, I have missed three periods. I was told that it could take anywhere up to a year for them to return.

My question is, how do SCI's know when their period is likely to start? Before my injury, my only clue was my cramping. Being a T8, I am not sure if I will feel the cramps.

Don't get me wrong, I am in no rush for them to start again, but at least if it happened before I get my bladder management under control and "HOPEFULLY" get out of the Depends, it would not be such a big unwelcome surprise.

Bloating, moodiness, spasms, unexplained autonomic dysreflexia, horrible diarrhea. Other people have other symptoms. It SUCKS. Yay menopause.

my spasms get more aggravated, but other than that no warning, once it returns just keep track of it on a calendar so you possibly know what week it'll fall on.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Same as Ashley, my spasms kick up. Also I get more back pain. Other than that I don;t know til I get surprised.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J
    I became a T8 complete para on Sept 2 of this year. At the time of my injury, I was on my period. Since that date, I have missed three periods. I was told that it could take anywhere up to a year for them to return.
    Obvious question here... are you sure you're not pregnant? And, yeah, it can take time to return to a regular cycle.

My question is, how do SCI's know when their period is likely to start? Before my injury, my only clue was my cramping. Being a T8, I am not sure if I will feel the cramps.
    As far as I know, I've never had a menstrual cramp in my life. Before my accident, I was extremely irregular, as I was on the BC pill and only got my period a couple of times a year. At this point in my life, I am running on a monthly cycle. About every 4 wks my body does it's thing. I don't have any specific warning that I'm going to start bleeding, but I do know when I'm ovulating and I get my period about a week and a half after that. At best, I have very, light spotting the day before the world turns crimson.

My advice would be to keep a calendar and record daily changes so you can recognize your own cycle, even if it is a subtle one. Spasticity, changes in mood, changes in vaginal discharge, any lower abdomen or back pains... these can all indicate different aspects of your cycle. Good luck.

C.

i'm T4, my periods returned about 4 months after my accident. About 2 days before they start I get really bad pins and needles sensations through my legs and lower torso. Once the period starts, the pins&needles die down quite a bit (they are there pretty much all the time anyway but never as severe as before my period).

I'm a T8 and had two months of periods after the accident (while in the hospital and rehab) then three months without and now I am back to normal. I know "it" is coming because my breasts get tender, my spasms increase in intensity and I have trouble with cathing (dryness,leaking). I also have felt my cramps but they are not as painful as before. Hope this helps.

I can tell it's coming when I get really spastic and tight. I also get some mild AD.

Buy a calendar to mark your body.

When do I pee accidently?

When do I poop accidendtly?

Am I more tired?

Get thee ass to your gyno.

I never had cramps pre-SCI. I got my period on target date after and have for the last 25 plus years. I had a scare but mother nature decided it wasn't right.

Now I have severe crammps, AD and a host of other fine pre menopausal symptoms I hope you and others will not have to go through with the study at UofMichigan!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I didn't have periods for about 3 months after injury. I was nearly due just before I became paralyzed - but the sci shocked my body into missing even that one.

Used to get awful cramps at the start of bleeding, which lasted about a day (the pain, that is). Now I'm sci, I don't feel any menstrual cramps.
    I get the usual pmt symtoms the same as I did before injury - irritability, feeling down, crying, feeling ravenous.

I get minor ad feelings sometimes, but it's not obvious enough that I always realize what's happening.
    I find if I'm going to pee myself, it's much more likely to happen around (usually before) a period.

I don't get any real change in my spasms, but then I've always been very lucky not to be too troubled with spasms in general.