Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problems With AVG Free

Run it in safe mode. You can't work on files that are running.

One way to compare AVG vs Avast.

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition..CNET Review:5 stars, User rating:4.0 stars, downloads:48,081,460
    Avast Home Edition............CNET Review:5 stars, User rating:4.5 stars, downloads:14,319,675

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Run it in safe mode. You can't work on files that are running.
    How do I put it in Safe mode?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    How do I put it in Safe mode?
    He means run Windows in Safe Mode. Usually done by pressing F8 immediately on startup to get this option. Safe Mode causes Windows to run with minimum resources.

What I don't like about AVG.

Their address: Lidick√° 31 602 00 Brno Czech Republic

Blog Entries
    Hey Jukester,
    When you FIRST installed it, it asked if you would like to run a scan upon reboot, it does this before windows loads fully. That initial scan would have found all your trouble and MOSTof the time fixed it.
    NOW what you need to do...
    Right click over the A icon in your system tray and on the menu click the second item, start avast antivirus... it will run for a second and then pop up the control panel. A horizontal rectangle with 'buttons.
    IMPORTANT !! click the middle button on the left side (vertical) pic below, it says resident scanner,,, slide the slider all the way to the right to indicate HIGH

Blog Entries
    next....
    click the top right button and slide the slider all the way to the right, this sets archive files to be scanned 6 levels 'deep', many virii/trojans are nested inside multiple layers of compression, THIS gets THEM. If you use peer to peer, you find this a lot.

Blog Entries
    NOW, click the scan button, looks like a PLAY button from a vcr, on the left and sit back and wait. You may have to run this more than once. ALSO, turn off the RESTORE crap on all drives. You will lose your ability to restore but the virii will ALSO be restored, lol. When you have ran this a few times and gotten it clean, a last CLEAN scan will come up and you are now no longer infected.
    LEAVE the thing running all the time. It does you no good unless it is on. You don't wait until you get the flu, go get a vaccination and then when you don't get better, complain the vaccination sucked, lol.
    With both sliders on high, you will NOT get another problem, set the updates for automatic in the settings and leave all modules running.

I cleaned 12 computers at a school recently that were ate UP with 12 to 17 virii, all different, with this. It HAD been running AVG, lol.
    On two of the computers, I had to run it 4 times. Don't know WHY, but I did this to give it the ultimate test. I worked on other computers and came back at various times to restart the scans, rebooting between each one.
    I did not have to reload any of those 12 computers. NORMALLY, if I go to such a mess, I just reload w/o trying to fix. I didn't have the time here.

Capn, I can't register it because my Yahoo email has denied me access for weeks now. I need to create a new email program and need my POP info for it but don't know how to retireve it.

BTW, when I try what you suggest above when I get to running it it tells me "Hint: no area has been selected yet" or words to that effect. I'm assuming it's because it's not registered
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Blog Entries
    In response to ALA's CNET comparison, not being smart BUT, most of those 40,000 odd folks know CRAP about computers even though they feel they are really on the ball. If they were REALLY sharp, they wouldn't use WINDOZE, lol.
    Seriously, I just tell ya my opinion, you do what ya want. I won't waste any more of your time. I'd rather be doing something else ANYWAY. After you answer these "virus/which program should I use NOW" questions a zillion times, it gets to the point you just avoid answering questions period.
    People are gonna go on with what they want to do, against good advise. It is their right to be silly, I support that right.

I REALLY only answered the JUKESTER'S question, because we had a misunderstanding months back, and I wanted to use this opportunity to show him we can disagree and still be friends. EVEN IF he uses a CRAP antivirus NON-solution