Thread: Wrist pain

Unhappy Wrist pain

Every night, I enjoy reading a book in bed before I go to sleep. Well, for the past couple of years, I have been getting pain in my left wrist while reading. At first it probably started off as a duller pain on the part of my wrist by my pinky finger. I remember I could basically reposition my hand, or shake it to get rid of the pain (this was years ago, so I don't remember what I did to make the pain go away exactly.)
    Anyways, now... the pain has gotten MUCH worse. I'm only 16, so I haven't seen a doctor about it (I don't know how serious my wrist problems are, and I don't want my mom to worry.)
    But, the pain is still located specifically at the boney part of my left wrist (pinky side.) It's an extremely sharp pain. Like I said, it happens when I'm reading at night. I figure that I have my hand in a bad position for my wrist, so I rest it and try and straighten it out on the blankets and stuff, but it hurts every time I bend it. I can move my thumb and fingers without any pain, but when I move my pinky finger (when my wrist is hurting) the pain only gets worse. Infact, it hurts so bad, I can't even really move my pinky finger at all. After it starts hurting... as long as I'm not moving my hand or wrist or anything, it doesn't hurt anymore. But as soon as I make any sort of movement, there's still that sharp pain there. And it doesn't go away for hours. I many times will fall asleep, and wake up the next morning to find the pain is still there (and won't go away for up to 3 hours after I wake up...)
    I mean, the pain used to go away pretty easily. But now, I go hours without being able to move my wrist because it hurts so much...
    For now, I'm going to try and read using only my right hand, and let my left one rest for a while untill I find out what's wrong with it. Because now the pain is just getting to become TOO much.

I did research, and I don't believe I have carpal tunnel syndrom. I feel no pain my my thumb or any of my fingers, it's all in my wrist, and not located by the carpal tunnel thing. But I am on the computer pretty much all day.
    I think I could have tendinitis, but there is no swelling outside of the wrist. There is only pain inside.
    So in honestly I have no idea what's wrong with me. And I'm about ready to worry my mom, and get a doctor. But I'd like to hear what you guys say on it first.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tomo, if it has reached this point you shouldn't be trying to diagnose it on the internet. Fess up, tell your Mom and see your Doctor. I'm a Mom. I would want to know.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I told her about it, and she is making an appointment for me.

In the mean time, I have been avoiding reading.

Tomo, it sounds like maybe you are having some compression of your ulnar nerve. You might be given splints to wear at night to keep things in the proper position, which isn't so bad. I have slept with splints for years now and it is fine. I am actually more comfortable with them than without them.