Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey all

what about that diaphram thing they inplant in your chest to help you breathe. is that something you could do?
    oh well

I haven't investigated it yet, but may at some point. I do get off the vent and breathe on my own as much as I can. Hopefully someday I'll be able to go the majority of the day without it and give some relief to needing constantly watched.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Well, another repeat tonight, the nurse already called in. Sleeping every other night is becoming routine.

That sucks, I'm sorry. I was thinking about your call button. Maybe I'm missing something. My rehab roommate had a C2 injury, never off the vent at all. They had a giant call button they would velcro to her pillow or even just set it on the pillow on Dycem. She sort of bend her neck over and hit it with her head. Could you do that?

I know that vent is a hassle, and possible danger. Roomie's alarm worked but the staff wouldn't come, or they'd take their sweet time, although we were right in front of the nursing station. It scared me to death. I used to lay there and yell at the top of my lungs for them to come help her. Harder to ignore a profane loudmouthed quad than one on a malfunctioning vent!

I hope your staffing problems ease soon. You're always so good-natured about these enormous obstacles.

Sorry to hear about the staffing problem, Trainman.

I'm sure you've already thought about different ways to go about it. Did'nt know if you've tried hiring two people for the position and have one on call and sharing the nights. Might prevent some of the call-offs.

Makes for a long night. Hope things get better!

trainman,
    You seem like a pretty cool guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ala
    trainman,
    You seem like a pretty cool guy.
    Thank you. I get really when I go outside this time of year, it's currently 23 out.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    Thank you. I get really when I go outside this time of year, it's currently 23 out.
    Make light of it all you want........but you are a HUGE inspiration.

Dave
    Dave

Trainman = .... I think your amazing too be well !!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    My primary problem is that I have very little backup, especially for nights. Being in a rural area, weather is the big problem this time of year, which was the case last night. Thanks for the schedule tips, hopefully someday I'll have funding and living arrangement for 24/7 independent care again.

Fortunately, for the first time in a few years, I'll have a new person starting in a couple weeks that can be backup and lives only a few blocks away.
    Things like weather are always a problem here too. I guess I was thinking you might have some problems I had which was just people not showing up for other reasons too. I hope the new backup person works out. I know how frustrating it is