Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weight shifts/pressure relief

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

weight shifts/pressure relief

how do you do them and how often?
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

just shifting your weight from side to side, staying off one area. they told me to do them every 15 min or so.

any specific technique? i can't do pushups, so i lean foreward or to the sides... i'm going from a ride designs cushion to a stimulite, so i need to work on doing them more
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

If you don't have much sensation, which I'm assuming is the case with you being c4, do them regiliously at rediculously short intervals. It doesn't take much, especially with an injury as new as yours, to get a sore started that will land you in 24/7 bed rest before you can even blink. And unfortunately, bed rest is on the less severe end of the spectrum of what can happen...
    Can you tell I learned this the hard way?

If you can't do push-ups, leaning all the way forward every 15 minutes (buy a $10 watch that you can set to beep every 15 minutes) or so is probably your best way to go. It sucks if you don't have the trunk strength to get yourself back up (meaning you always have to have someone there to help you) but it's just something you have to do and get used to. Before I could pull myself back up, I would do them in front of a table or window sill. I'd keep my hands on the table and push myself back up from there.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

When first out of rehab I couldn;t lift up either, and I did them by either leaning forward as far as possible, or leaning side to side as far as possible. I would mix it up a bit. First forward, next time to the side, etc. If there is any way you can get pressure mapped on your cushion you could see what is effective for you. I have since moved to a 4 inch roho, and the mapping showed that I got complete pressure relief with the leaning method, w/o even leaning as far as I was. I also get enough relief by lifting up almost all the way, w/o having to do a full push up.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    When first out of rehab I couldn;t lift up either, and I did them by either leaning forward as far as possible, or leaning side to side as far as possible. I would mix it up a bit. First forward, next time to the side, etc. If there is any way you can get pressure mapped on your cushion you could see what is effective for you. I have since moved to a 4 inch roho, and the mapping showed that I got complete pressure relief with the leaning method, w/o even leaning as far as I was. I also get enough relief by lifting up almost all the way, w/o having to do a full push up.
    I do the same, forward, side to side. I think the pressure map is a good idea if you can get it. When I leaned forward on certain cushions, my ischialls pressed down turning the pressure map bright red.

My wife uses a cheap kitchen timer ($1 at the dollar store when they have them; we bought several) that she clips on to her clothes; she sets it to half an hour. She also can't lift herself. Side to side as far as possible, and also forward. You can't do it too often.
    - Richard

p.s. she also tilts in her powerchair
    Last edited by rfbdorf; 12-10-2007 at 02:32 AM.

using an soft armchair [lamb leather ...recliner one]....a proper cushion and keeping my legs elevated helped me a lot to prevent the sores.i also push hard to increase my triceps every hour .in bed is not a problem ....i `ve learned to turn ...using the bars[hospital bed].every muscle of my body hurts like hell [spasms]...i cry and ,turn.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Do you have a power or manual chair, JBinny?

leaning forward seems like it will work best for you, if you can't get back up on your own use a table or chair like others have said. side 2 side, pushing one way with one arm if you can't do both arms at once for push up.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson