Thread: tablet

tablet

anyone have experience w/ the writng tablet or pen thing (sorry computer ignoramous I am)

I write a lot on paper and would like to avoid the middle man of retyping....
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I use a graphics/digitizing tablet, but I don’t use it for writing. I use it for graphics. The one I use is a Wacom Bamboo (new model). This is what it says about writing:
    Works with new handwriting recognition, inking and pen features in Windows Vista (all editions but Home Basic) and Apple operating systems (OS X)
    I am sold on Wacom tablets because of their quality and reputation. I had an old model in ’96 and tried another cheaper brand (Aiptek) and it sucked. Wacom pens don’t need batteries and they have superior ergonomics. There are USB tablets and Bluetooth wireless ones. Many models and sizes are available, I find them all excellent.

That’s my 2 cents. I’m sure someone with more knowledge of handwriting recognition can tell you more.

i have an aptek 8.5 x 11, that works great for me and only cost about $100

I've used a TabletPC for about three years. I use it to take all my notes in class. The handwritting recognition doesn't work very well "for me" because my writting is sloppy. I haven't tried to install Windows Vista on my tablet, but it has an updated recognition engine that is supposed to adapt to the user's handwritting. Check out the forum on this site for lots of good info about TabletPCs.

Cool

went to Bestbuy they had a wacom in the camera section. It seemed more graphic oriented. What do you use it for?

I was looking for something I can take with me in the van, write, then d/l to the pc when I get home.

The wacom also needed vista and office2007....so that's at least 250.00 there I don't have.

Oh well, a girl needs dreams!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I have the medium sized Wacom Bamboo, and I use it for artwork on the computer and for digital photography (hobbies).

The small Bamboo costs about $95 (5.8”x3.7”) on Amazon. The medium one is $200 (8.5”x5.3”).

I also found something called a Cyberpad. It's portable. Amazon and Newegg.com carry similar products. You might find something better searching around the internet. I don’t know how good any of these things are so I can’t recommend them. Keep dreaming.

http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpad-8-5X1...7143338&sr=8-1

thanks

you could use a palm pilot or pda to write meeting notes or record on, then download. mine also has a separate keyboard.