Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 'disabled community's' view of stem cell research?

I support all stem cell research.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Hi Kaitlyn,

I am a dad of a son who is now a high school senior who at the age of 14 broke his neck while diving in our pool. He is now what is called an ASIA A C4 complete.. in layman's parlance he is an Tetraplaplegic and is only able to shrug his shoulders and move his arms at the shoulders.

As a side note ( Just to let you know, he is awaitng for Early Action on Early Action decisions from 6 colleges later this week and next, and later in the spring 2 from the Ivies.)

As a dad, I will gladly give up my life if that would make him
    able to be able to just to be able to be physically self suffiicent. He also feels walking would be nice but using his hands would be okay for now.
    I hope you can appreciate how we are desperate for a cure. I look at my boy who should be playing in his 4th year of Varsity Baseball, ALL-State Trumpet Player, driving a car, going out with his friends on outings and parties.. but he can't get into most of his friends home s because he is wheelchair. I have a question for you Kaityln in all honesty would you even consider going out with a boy like my son My heart breaks every day and I have to stifle back tears when I see young people doing things that he can't.

YES I SUPPORT Embryonic Stem Cell Research. But there morons in this country including our president who in august 2001, decided that important research that made this country the pre-eminant world power as it is now, should take a back seat to the thinking that using embryos not used from In vitro- fertilzation attepmts that were destined to thrown out in the red bags of hospital wastes is amoral. and outlawed on his own. anymore ESC's being used in federal funded research and he used his first veto of his wretched precidency to kill a bill that would fund research with restrictions . It was passed by both houses of Congress with big majorities. I TELL YOU thing.. it is amoral for a dad to wipe the butt of his 17 year old son, has to change his diaper when his catheter leaks and to watch my son stoically watch his friends do normal teenage things.
    Secondly, our president cut hundreds of millions of dollars from the National Institute of Health budget on funding for Spinal Cord Reserch.

Third, ESC 's is only one of many therapies that may help with spinal cord injuries, but with other movement didsorders like mutilple scerosis, ALS,( Lou Gehrig' disease ) parkinison's disease, etc. but it takes money and since the large pharmacetical companies always take the position " research and development is expensive and they need a great product to recoup the monies spent on R& D. They reason that these unfortunate souls only number in the hundred of thousands, it is not economic feasible to waste monies on them. BUT IF somehow ESC's or somthng else could increase breast size to any size a women wants or make men have erections d like wood.. well then they would use ESc's for that.
    Anyway just to give the idea that my son and probably many other peolpe like himself will support ANY therapy that would help them.

joe
    Last edited by okwjoe; 12-12-2007 at 06:05 AM.

Caitlyn,
    Thank you for asking.
    Yes, I completely support research using both embryonic and adult stem cell.

As a female, I have lost one egg a month for 40 years with the exception of the three years I was pregnant with my four children. I chose to “discard” 432 eggs. I would have gladly donated those eggs for research just as I have donated blood or bone marrow and some have given a kidney. In the same manner, many families use the services of fertility clinics to solve pregnancy issues and would like to help others by donating their extra eggs. Embryonic stem cell research can easily be provided for.

At present, there is a tremendous amount of research being completed trying to make an adult stem cell act like an embryonic stem …….. What does that say about the need for the characteristics of BOTH!! This is good! In the same manner, we don’t use one antibiotic, we use antibiotics specific to the need. We also continue to “invent” better antibiotics to overcome whatever more dangerous “bug” comes our way.

The EXTRAORDINARY part (not in a positive since) is that researchers are restricted in their options and limited in their funding!!! Literally, our government has required that if you use government funding, the researcher must use the limited number of federally approved lines and have no embryonic research outside this limited number of “healthy” lines in that lab. This requires U.S. scientists to raise funds to build and buy duplicate labs/buildings, with duplicate microscopes and vents, and syringes, and centrifuges, and vials, and solutions, and ……...……….. to handle embryonic research from non-contaminated lines. As a result, our best scientists/researchers are frequently not in their labs working toward cures for diabetes, spinal cord injury, Parkinson’s, MS and Alzheimer’s, etc., but are out on speaking engagements to ensure the solvency of their research! Under these circumstances, it is easy to see why in this day and age, this is taking soooooooooooo long!

Last comment: When you talk about embryonic vs adult stem cells, ask the individual if anyone in their family or anyone they know is affected by one of these problems. How much do they know about the daily lives of these individuals and their family members? In many cases, this has become a “it hasn’t happened to me or mine and I’m busy right now”- which is normal. It is easy not to know/understand the importance of your stem cell position when you have no experience with a problem that can be solved using stem cells. It is easy to say well there are only “X” number of children with diabetes or “X” number of spinal cord injuries, etc., but the stranglehold each one of these diseases or illnesses has on the rest of a family is profound. The ripple effect does not quit! …..It is so unfortunate when it “happens to me and mine!” I know their daily lives will change and I wonder if their perspectives change, too?

As has been stated already, much stem cell research could be carried out using cells from spare IVF embryos that would otherwise be discarded. In my opinion the unethical and immoral thing to do is throw these cells away unused, when by using them for research they have the potential to help so many people live more normal lives and simply to help others survive.
    Even if cloned embryos have to be created in order to affect treatments in the future, I believe that to be justified as in my opinion, whilst the embryo is still no more than a blastocyst it does not represent a human life. I am aware that that is a more controversial opinion that is harder to persaude those who disagree to change their minds about than the statement about not discarding unused embryos.
    Adult stem cell research should also be pursued energetically and I can see no ethical objection to doing so.

I am a C2/3 quadriplegic nearly 23 years post injury. Meaning I have no feeling or movement below the neck and am unable to breath on my own.

I in no way support embryonic stem cell research. I DO support adult stem cell research. If you look to countries such as Portugal, ASC are already being used in human treatments which many Americans with SCI have gone for. It is not a complete cure at this point, but is much closer than the US.

If the United States had been investing research in ASC and not bothered with the ESC debate, we would very likely be doing these treatments already. Adult stem cells have been used for decades already and have shown that they work.

If ESC are actually shown to be useful, in how many decades, friends and myself have already said that we will not use them. These are friends that are as severely injured as I am. I very well hope to be able to breath on my own some day and have use of my arms and hands, but that possibility looks to be from adult, not embryonic stem cells.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Hi Trainman,

I was trying to let some of your coments in your post slide but I can't. Your post shows how little you know about what's going on and I don't mean that in a mean way. When Wise first told me to study science, I said yeah right I don't study, fortunatly my mind set change and I learned a bit.

If you choose not to support ESC on your moral views that's cool. However please don't tell people ESC does not or will not work because that's yet to be seen.

The idea that ESC research has sucked money from ASC is false to a great point. ESC and ASC research get some where near 40 million a year. I'm not sure of the split but even if all 40 mill. went to ASC research we would not be there.

You may not choose to use a ESC treatment and I say this with no disrespect but you and your friends will be facing that real choice sooner rather than later.

Trainman please research Geron and Ed Wirths work with private money on ESC lines approved by the GWB guidlines.....the morally right ESC stem cell lines.

Have a view but have it based on facts because when you don't and as a person with SCI abled bodied tend to believe what you say on issues related to your situation.

Maybe bad example but how pissed off would the rest of the SCI community be if I told my city planner or designers that the right grade for a proper ramp for us SCI was say 6 inches for every foot.

Having said this I wrote this off the top of my head and my info may be a bit off but someone smarter than me on here will correct me and I appreciate that.
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Leo,

Unfortunately I've researched quite a bit and written and produced papers to groups on stem cell research.

Yes, as you said, part of it is based upon my religion, as I've stated in any paper I've written. However, not all of my friends I spoke of share those same views as I.

Thank you for being civil in your response, as I regularly don't get that respect. Hopefully some day our theories will be proven, I also have friends that died waiting for it.

The way things are going, we will too. Are you opposed to IVF clinics also?

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    The way things are going, we will too. Are you opposed to IVF clinics also?
    Actually, I have friends that received help with having kids. However, they selected the facility that did not produce little extra and the couple was very explicit in how the eggs were to be used. Such as not for treatments or studies.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    Leo,

part of it is based upon my religion
    In fact, it seems to me that ALL of it is based upon your religion because you have no other good reason not to support ESC research. I cannot believe that if it was not for religious reasons you would be opposed to it. If until now scientists that know much more than you do still think that ESCR should be pursued, how can you say that your opinion is valid if it is not for the fact that your convictions are dictating it and not science?

Now, don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to his opinion but you have to be honest enough to realize and tell where it is coming from.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)